Persistent Home Drive Mapping... Possible? RRS feed

• Question

• I did a quick search fo the forums and I couldn't find this addressed specifically.  I know how to map persistent drives using "NET USE" and vbscript.  However, I would like to use the home drive mapping stored within the AD object.  Is there a way to use this mapping and force the mapping to be persistent?

Here is my situation:

1.  User logs in to their computer at a hotel.
    2.  User logs in to their sprint connection manager software (Mobile Broadbaand)
    3.  User launches Cisco VPN client to reach the corporate network
    4.  User is missing their Home drive.

The home drive maps when the user logs in to the machine.  But it only maps if they can see domain controllers.  Obviously they cant see a domain controller when they are sitting in a hotel. 

There are ways to initiate the VPN client prior to workstation logon, but this gets very complicated for the users if they have to launch sprint connection manager, then vpn, prior to logging in to windows.  Also this is not possible in certain hotels where its required for you to accept terms prior to using the WIFI in that hotel.

How are other people handling this issue?  Hopefully I am just missing something very simple.

~~ Brian Hofmeister ~~
    MCP - Windows Server 2003, Network Infrastructure, Windows XP
    My Blog: Windows Server 2008 - Core Concepts: Getting Friendly with the command line!
    http://brianhofmeister.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:10 PM

Answers

• Brian,
    your other option would be to take advantage of the Cisco VPN client application launcher to create a non-persistent drive mapping when a connection gets established. You would probably want to build in some logic into it in case a connection needs to be reestablished and the drive mapping already exists. There would be some user education involved - since the drive mapping would persist after the VPN session is completed...

hth
    Marcin

• Marked as answer by Joson Zhou Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:19 AM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:31 AM

All replies

• Brian,
    have you considered using offline files to address this issue? You can find more on the subject at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307853
    Btw. my recommendation would be to also switch to folder redirection - rather than using drive mappings - but that's obviously might entail a number of other changes...

hth
    Marcin

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:21 PM
  • Indeed Folder direction is something we are planning but we don't have a full project plan developed yet. I was hoping someone would have a silver bullet to correct my current issue.
    ~~ Brian Hofmeister ~~
    My Blog: Windows Server 2008 - Core Concepts: Getting Friendly with the command line!
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:43 AM
  • Have you considered using offline files to resolve the issue you are dealing with?

hth
    Marcin
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:54 AM
  • My apologies I didn't address this in your first post.  Offline files would definitely bring their home drive data back to the local PC.  I would like the users to use their "Documents and Settings" folder on their local PC.  Then we can use folder redirection to push this data to the file server.  Finally, implement "Offline Files" to keep the data on the local PC.  In the meantime, I am worried about using "Offline Files" now, then implementing our new solution later.  It sounds like that may be my only option.

~~ Brian Hofmeister ~~
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:20 AM
  • Brian,
    your other option would be to take advantage of the Cisco VPN client application launcher to create a non-persistent drive mapping when a connection gets established. You would probably want to build in some logic into it in case a connection needs to be reestablished and the drive mapping already exists. There would be some user education involved - since the drive mapping would persist after the VPN session is completed...

hth
    Marcin

• Marked as answer by Joson Zhou Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:19 AM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:31 AM