none
Chkdsk and file system files $MFT & $BITMAP

Question

• Hi,

When I run into the problem with Volume Shadow Service on server running Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 with File Server role on hardware HP ProLiant BL460c G6. "CHKDSK C:" reported problem: "The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.". Then scheduled "CHKDSK /F C:" and rebooted server and waited for CHKDSK to perform task. When server came online I did check once again and again run into same problem, so nothing was repaired from my point of view. To be sure I ran "CHKNTFS C:" which reported that C: isn't dirty.

Do we have some other way how to repair $MFT from $MFTMirr when MFT size is set to default and fix $BITMAP or any other way to fix issue?

Thanks

Friday, July 27, 2012 6:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Think about re-formatting the partition and getting data back from backup. Could be easier-faster and more reliable after all (with a huge number of errors reported).

-nismo

Friday, July 27, 2012 8:45 PM
  • This isn't quite a option. When we started RCA backups were failing already for 6 months. Formatting disk is last option due to many difficulties with ordering data backup on physical medium.
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 7:03 PM
  • Hi,

Please install 2707576 hotfix to upgrade NTFS.sys driver, then run "CHKDSK /F /R C:" command again and check whether whether the issue can be resolved.

For more information about the 2707576 hotfix, please refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2707576

In addition, I would like to share another KB for your reference http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on your end? Please keep me posted on this issue. I appreciate your time and efforts.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 5:02 AM