none
Migrating RD Licensing to the same server, different domain RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client whose domain lost it's DC so I built a new one and created a new domain with a slightly different name. The old domain name was example.local and the new domain name is example.lan

They have a Terminal Server and as a result of the domain name change it no longer 'sees' the old licensing server ts.example.local (itself) because it is now called ts.example.lan, however all users can logon to the server and work with no issues other than seeing a brief message of the error above. I am concerned that eventually the server might not let the users logon anymore since the od licensing server isn't available.

The new DC and the Terminal Server are both Server 2008.

I am not sure whether to use the Migrate Licenses or Rebuild the server database from the Manage License Wizard.

Has anyone else run into this exact issue?

I cannot stress enough that this is a server I cannot afford to have stop working. I am open to all responses.

Monday, July 15, 2019 5:01 PM

Answers

• HI
    “you have Migrated from the same server to the same server from one domain to another?”
    If it is possible, can you migrate current RDLS to another RDLS server in new domain not on your original server ?
    after you migration from old RDLS to new RDLS ,we need to also to
    config below local policy on rdsh server .
    local computer policy\computer configuration\administrative templates\windows components\remote desktop services\remote desktop session host\licensing
    use the specified remote desktop license serves  point to your new server
    set the remote desktop licensing mode   per device or per device 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

use the manage License Wizard to migrate your licenses. i assume your server is already activated, so open the licensing manager and follow the instruction of the Migration wizard.

This way worked fine for me.

regards, pat

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:49 PM
  • Thanks for the information.

Just to confirm, you have Migrated from the same server to the same server from one domain to another?

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:17 PM
  • no, i just migrated from an old RDS-Lic to a newer one in the same domain.

but it should be the same procedure ;)

regards,

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:38 PM
  •  

to make life much easier you can refer to the following step-by-step guide:

https://enterpriseit.co/windows-server/move-remote-desktop-licenses-new-server/

regards, pat

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:41 PM
  • Thanks Pat. I will give it a try.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:43 PM
  • let us know if you have done the steps.

You can mark this reply then as answer, so this will help others, too.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:46 PM
  • HI
    “you have Migrated from the same server to the same server from one domain to another?”
    If it is possible, can you migrate current RDLS to another RDLS server in new domain not on your original server ?
    after you migration from old RDLS to new RDLS ,we need to also to
    config below local policy on rdsh server .
    local computer policy\computer configuration\administrative templates\windows components\remote desktop services\remote desktop session host\licensing
    use the specified remote desktop license serves  point to your new server
    set the remote desktop licensing mode   per device or per device 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:41 AM
  • Andy,

I will mark your response as the answer however I cannot implement it until I get approval from my client to try it. Hopefully they will allow it soon. Thank you and Pat for taking the time to look at my question and answer it.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:02 PM
  • HI
    You are welcome.I hope everything goes well.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:57 AM