none
KCC Generated Replication Topology for 3 sites - not a full mesh RRS feed

• Question

• A fairly old topic but a question still - in a 3 site AD domain/forest, 2003 forest and domain level, 2x 2012R2 DC, 1x 2008R2 DC, and a single site link that all 3 are members of (cost 100, replication 15 min) - KCC doesn't end up creating a full mesh but a hub and spoke topology.

So it ends up being Site A connects to both B and C, but B and C just go back to A and don't set up links to each other - which I'd prefer a bit more redundant, but without manually creating any links.

Is there any reason/logic for hub and spoke even though 3 sites really should be a ring/mesh?

Saturday, April 18, 2015 11:42 PM

All replies

• > Is there any reason/logic for hub and spoke even though 3 sites really
    > should be a ring/mesh?

Is direct communication between B and C possible? Then create site links
    according to your topology :)

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Sunday, April 19, 2015 10:17 AM
  • It is indeed - and initially, all DCs replicated with the other 2 - but then some of the links got removed.

I'm not too keen on creating the links manually though - KCC is meant to do a good job, so would more like to figure out if this is somehow by design - or by some (changeable) condition...

Sunday, April 19, 2015 10:24 AM
  • Please make sure that required ports are opened in both directions between site B and C and that they are not filtered: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727063.aspx

I assume that you already created an IP inter-site Transport between site B and C using dssite.msc.

You can also enable logging for more details: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314980

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

• Edited by Mr XMVP Sunday, April 19, 2015 7:33 PM
    Sunday, April 19, 2015 7:32 PM
  • Just to verify it wasn't network traffic related, I created those links manually and confirmed repadmin replicates them fine.

The intersite transport is there - all three sites belong to the same one (have also tried defining 3 different ones - one per pair of sites - without that making a difference to topology generated)

Is there a log of KCC decisions taken to build the links anywhere?

Sunday, April 19, 2015 9:00 PM