none
Windows can not log you on because your profile cannot be loaded...

Question

• I have 5 RDP users. Today 3 of the 5 could not login. This just started today. No roaming profiles. I have 9GB of HDD space on C: and TskMan shows 1.2 GB of the 4 GB of memory available. I have checked the default user directory. The other two users can login fine. I have logged in multiple times as other users and i only have this problem with 3 users. I have restored the NTUSER.DAT file from yesterday when they could login. Same results. Any ideas? Can I delete the NTUSER.DAT file? Does it get created each time?

Thanks,
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:23 PM

Answers

• Hi DeaNo1,

Accroding to your description, you have 3 RDP user who can not logon Windows 2003 TS server.

To resolve this problem, please try to use the Microsoft User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (UPHClean). 
     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837115

If the problem persists, please collect more following for research:

1.       If you use their accounts to logon Windows 2003 Terminal Server directly, are they able to load their profile settings correctly?

2.       If they use another machine, are they able to save their profile setting?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Wilson Jia Wednesday, November 18, 2009 4:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:46 AM
    Friday, November 13, 2009 2:36 AM
  • Hello All,

I have learned that UPHClean is already installed within the Windows Server 2008 OS. If using Windows Server 2003 it would good to install the UPHClean.

I have to agree with Benny that the profiles are most likely corrupt. Best to do is remove the profiles from the server from within the advanced properties of your server and have the users reconnect to create a new profile. This will make them loose the settings from their current profile so try to store settings before removing them by copying the profile first to a safe location.

Additionally you might want to have a look at Immidio Flex Profiles as this will result in not having to worry about disk space on C:\ and also storing and resetting settings for your users. http://www.immidio.com

Robert
    Friday, November 13, 2009 11:41 AM

All replies

• NTUSER.DAT represents the user-specific registry settings in a user's profile. Looks like those files got corrupted for your three users. This may indicate that you have a problem with your local hard disk. Or your server rebooted while these two users were still logged in, corrupting the open NTUSER.DAT files.

Benny
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:10 PM
  • Hi DeaNo1,

Accroding to your description, you have 3 RDP user who can not logon Windows 2003 TS server.

To resolve this problem, please try to use the Microsoft User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (UPHClean). 
     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837115

If the problem persists, please collect more following for research:

1.       If you use their accounts to logon Windows 2003 Terminal Server directly, are they able to load their profile settings correctly?

2.       If they use another machine, are they able to save their profile setting?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 2:36 AM
  • Hello All,

I have learned that UPHClean is already installed within the Windows Server 2008 OS. If using Windows Server 2003 it would good to install the UPHClean.

I have to agree with Benny that the profiles are most likely corrupt. Best to do is remove the profiles from the server from within the advanced properties of your server and have the users reconnect to create a new profile. This will make them loose the settings from their current profile so try to store settings before removing them by copying the profile first to a safe location.

Additionally you might want to have a look at Immidio Flex Profiles as this will result in not having to worry about disk space on C:\ and also storing and resetting settings for your users. http://www.immidio.com

Robert
    Friday, November 13, 2009 11:41 AM