none
Windows Server 2003 R2 Windows update keeps refreshing page RRS feed

• General discussion

• I just reinstalled the OS of my server running Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition 32bit.  Every time I run Windows Update, the page keeps refreshing.  I stopped the AU service and deleted C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ folder and restarted AU service and it worked.  After installing the updates and tried to run the Windows Update again and the issue is back again where the Windows Update page keeps refreshing.  Please help.

Friday, June 14, 2013 1:56 PM

All replies

• Is this a DC, member or stand alone server installation?
    Friday, June 14, 2013 6:12 PM
  • I'm having the same issue with SBS 2k3.  Every time I want to run windows updates I have to stop the service and clear the software dist folder and then I can get windows updates, but not Microsoft.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Pinkwho,

I realize that I probably should start a new topic, but as the OP has not replied in almost a week I will answer your question.

I am having the same issue right now.  Currently it is only a in a work group, but it will be a domain member and serve as a file server.

When I initially attempt to run Windows Update it was under IE 6 and I go this symptom.  I downloaded and manually installed IE 8 and still have the same issue.

I am currently downloading updates via automatic updates

I am running AVG Business edition for file servers

Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:19 AM
  • While I did not figure out what the problem was I did figure out a way to get updates installed.

Do not click on the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Icons in the start menu.  Open Internet explorer by clicking on its icon, then go to tools and click on Windows Update from there.

Hope this helps the OP and others

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:49 AM
  • I also had this issue after a clean install of Server 2003 (not R2) SP2 & IE8 after I'd enabled Microsoft Updates.

I disabled Microsoft Updates (by clicking on change settings under options on the MS Update page) & went back to Windows Updates where the problem went away.

Once I'd done the security patches for IE8 I re-enabled Microsoft Updates with no further issues.

Hope this helps

Ralph 

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:32 PM
  • I also had this issue after a clean install of Server 2003 (not R2) SP2 & IE8 after I'd enabled Microsoft Updates.

I disabled Microsoft Updates (by clicking on change settings under options on the MS Update page) & went back to Windows Updates where the problem went away.

Once I'd done the security patches for IE8 I re-enabled Microsoft Updates with no further issues.

Hope this helps

Ralph 

This worked for me as well, I clicked change settings on the left hand side of the update page, scrolled to the bottom and turned off MS updates, clicked saved, closed the browser, opened windows updates and bam.

Creed

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:18 PM
  • Disabling Microsoft Update worked for me too.  Thanks for the help!

Kevin Stephenson - Muscle Shoals City Schools

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:19 AM