none
Replication issue for DHCP cluster in "Hot Stanby" mode

Question

• On windows 2012 R2 servers we have setup the DHCP cluster in the "Hot Stanby" mode to provide redundancy.
    But we have noticed that the DHCP reservations do not sync across to the other server.
    When I perform a sync for a scope only following tasks are performed and syncing reservations is one of the tasks.

Does it sync only 1 way i.e. from Active member to Passive?
    If someone creates a reservation on Passive member will it replicate to Active member?

On one of the posts on internet I read that reservations not replicating is a known problem with DHCP cluster setup and to schedule a task with following command to ensure everything is replicated:-
    Invoke-DhcpServerv4FailoverReplication -ComputerName "dhcpserver.contoso.com" -Name "SFO-SIN-Failover" -force

So I ran this command from Powershell on the Active server before scheduling it.
    It resulted in the scope going offline and deleted a few reservations. I had to bring it online again manually after the command finished.

Why would the scope go offline?
    And why did it delete a few reservation entries. Should I be running that command from Passive member of the cluster?
    Saturday, May 18, 2019 8:53 PM

All replies

• I would ask this in a Windows Forum
    Saturday, May 18, 2019 10:36 PM
  • Hi,

Exchange server forum mainly discusses and provide suggestions about Exchange server issues. Since your issue is related to Windows server side, we will help you move this case to DHCP forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, May 20, 2019 2:42 AM
  • Hi,

Does it sync only 1 way i.e. from Active member to Passive? 

Yes, a reservation on Passive member can't be replicated to Active member.

The powershell command is not comprehensive.

DHCP Failover Auto Config Sync (DFACS) is a PowerShell based tool which automates the synchronization of configuration changes.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Auto-syncing-of-configurati-6eb54fb0  

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 20, 2019 3:10 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Travis

Thursday, May 23, 2019 8:53 AM