none
2008R2 VM: How to get 2012R2 upgrade media/iso? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two Win2k8R2 SP1 x64 hyper-v VM's

They reside on a dedicated physical server at a hosting company.

The hosting company provided the VHD files that I used to create the VM's years ago.

As the VM's are in production, I would like to download backups of the VHD files (there are no snapshots) and perform in-place upgrades to Server 2012 and then to 2016.  Due to the complexity of what's on these VM's, migrating the content to a fresh OS is not an option.

The hosting company no longer supports Hyper-V, so they likely will not provide me with media to do the in-place upgrades.  For clarity: The hosting company will allow me to use Hyper-V, but they won't provide support for it.

My goal is to perform the in-place upgrades and then stand up the upgraded VM's on a fresh dedicated Server Datacenter 2016 hypervisor back at the hosting company. As I understand it the hosting company's Datacenter volume license will cover the guest VM's.

I tried performing the 2008 to 2012 upgrade using a Server 2102 R2 Evaluation ISO from Microsoft but it resulted in an error. Apparently a licensed Win2k8R2 VM cannot be upgraded to Win2012R2 using an Evaluation ISO.  I don't know if this is true.

My question is: How can I get the Server 2012R2 and 2016 media to perform the in-place upgrades?  And what if anything do I need to know about licensing as it pertains to the above scenario?

• Edited by keywest1 Thursday, July 18, 2019 7:13 PM spelling
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 7:11 PM

Answers

• That's correct, it is not possible to in-place update from a licensed product to an evaluation. The cleaner / and much safer method is to stand up new ones, patch fully and migrate the roles or applications over to them.

If in-place upgrading is the only possibility then you'll need to purchase the interim license as well as the end goal license. Ask the license provider for the installation media.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:01 PM

All replies

• That's correct, it is not possible to in-place update from a licensed product to an evaluation. The cleaner / and much safer method is to stand up new ones, patch fully and migrate the roles or applications over to them.

If in-place upgrading is the only possibility then you'll need to purchase the interim license as well as the end goal license. Ask the license provider for the installation media.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:01 PM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                  

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, July 22, 2019 5:54 AM
  • Hi ,

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 6:10 AM
  • Thanks Dave.

To make sure I understand: So even if the final deployment of the upgraded 2016 VM's will be to a physical dedicated server running volume licensed Server Datacenter 2016 at the hosting company, can you confirm that you're saying that I will need to purchase licenses for 2012 and 2016 for the time period during the in-place upgrade upgrades?

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:25 PM
  • Yes, correct. If in-place upgrading is the only possibility then you'll need the interim step through Server 2012

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/supported-upgrade-paths

since you cannot in-place upgrade from or to an evaluation you'll need to  license both interum and end goal windows.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:30 PM