none
Where is DFSRDIAG RRS feed

• Question

• Riddle me this...

Windows Server 2016 Core - DC Role.

No DFSR... sure would seem like an important tool to have, in hindsight doesn't it MS?! You even have a local blogger to talk about it... 

ok so it should be simple enough right welll....

well that's interesting... ok I guess I'll just use Server Manager from a Windows 10 client machine.....

uhhhh ok... where the heck is file services....

so I googled, and followed all the guidance provided to reach a dead end... why is server manager not showing File services under the Features section and why is the PowerShell cmdlet failing?

Friday, January 18, 2019 4:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Zewwy,

In fact, the rsat-dfs-mgmt-con is not available for core editions.

we can copy the related two files from a GUI system which has been installed a rsat-dfs-mgmt-con in.

windows>system32>dfsrdiag.exe

windows>system32>en-us>dfsrdiag.exe.mui

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Zewwy Saturday, January 26, 2019 6:58 AM
    Friday, January 18, 2019 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Zewwy,

In fact, the rsat-dfs-mgmt-con is not available for core editions.

we can copy the related two files from a GUI system which has been installed a rsat-dfs-mgmt-con in.

Best Regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Zewwy Saturday, January 26, 2019 6:58 AM
    Friday, January 18, 2019 6:24 AM
  • thanks will try that out.
    Friday, January 18, 2019 3:24 PM
  • Hi Zewwy,

Just want to confirm the current situations. Has the issue been solved?

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance or meet new issue.

Thanks,

Monday, January 21, 2019 1:55 AM
  • I haven't checked yet as I didn't have a server with DFRS mgmt tools installed already.

I followed the rest of the DFSR recovery steps via MS supprot page, skipping the DFSRDIAG POLLAD step.

It still succeeded, just find it rather annoying that AD services are allowed on core which requires DFSR for sysvol replication yet the mgmt tools are not available on core... what a misnomer no?

Monday, January 21, 2019 3:00 PM
  • Hi Zewwy,

The issue has been common and many people were affected when installed the rsat-dfs-mgmt-con feature in their windows server core. The issue could be solved by the GUI.

If possible, We can build a virtual machine to install the GUI and deploy the dfs management tools feature. Meanwhile, I found an article about changing core to GUI type. It may be helpful.

The DFSR is available for server core or GUI as the roles.

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. 

Best Regards,

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 7:17 AM
  • I know HOW to do that, the point is, I shouldn't HAVE to do that.

I also get that I can provide my issue to the "feedback hub".

Thanks.

Also FYI: That no long applies for Server 2016, you can not simply switch between GUI and Core anymore.
    • Edited by Zewwy Tuesday, January 22, 2019 11:10 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 9:49 PM
  • Im curious what is the status on this particular issue? Ive found this: "Roles, Role Services, and Features included in Windows Server - Server Core. It seems to indicate that DFS services should be available with Server Core." (sorry, this format wont let me copy links, please just google the terms in quotes to see what MS itself says is supported on server core). Ive tried a few things:

1. Launched an attempt to remotely install it via Server manager, on a full GUI (2016) machine. I dont see the DFS Features on the GUI machine, for the core server (ie, DFS features are installed on the GUI machine, but not listed/visible from the server manager, when I try to install on it on the core machine). 

2. Ive copied these files from the GUI machine to the core machine: 

Dont know what to do once these files have been copied over to the core machine. Am I supposed to copy other files as well? 

3. Ive tried adding Windows Features, but again, DFSR is not listed. 

What gives? The article/link above states DFSR services should be available. Is it or not? 

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:56 PM