none
Error connecting RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 2003 SP1 Standard edition and installed the Terminal Service.
    I can connect myself using the RDP. When i try to use mstsc /console i put
    the ipaddress of the server it arrive to ask the username and the password
    and after popup a window with "Error connecting to existing session for
    <username> (Id 0). The operation completed successfully."
    and doesn't allow me to connect on the console of the server.On other
    servers works fine, same updates same model, same group policy settings.
    I wonder what is stopping me to access the console session on the server ?
    Thank you
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:30 AM

Answers

• VIJAYRAJE,

Your error says: Error connecting to existing session for <username> (Id 0)

Sounds like this user is already logged in  - perhaps something is going on with that session.  Can you get to the physical server and log in at the console, log off, and then try to log in with mstsc /console?

Can you use TS Manager from a management workstation to reset the session?

Can you reboot the server?

Can you log on with another admin account?

Can you get to the event viewer logs via another server? (openevent viewer from a management workstation or server, then  File, Connect To another computer).  You might be able to get a better idea of what is happening from the logs...

Also, although I cannot vouche for these tips, a bit of research shows that many people found that the following solved this same issue:

• Update video drivers
    • remove extra display adapters
    • right click on the "RDP-Tcp (listener)" and select "Reset" (TS Manager, Sessions tab)

Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

Co-Author of the Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services Resource Kit (and a SUPER BIG fan of the Microsoft RDV Team!!!)
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you have Nvidia video adapter try disabling and stopping nvidia display driver service and see if it helps.

сила в справедливости
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 10:38 AM
  • VIJAYRAJE,

Your error says: Error connecting to existing session for <username> (Id 0)

Sounds like this user is already logged in  - perhaps something is going on with that session.  Can you get to the physical server and log in at the console, log off, and then try to log in with mstsc /console?

Can you use TS Manager from a management workstation to reset the session?

Can you reboot the server?

Can you log on with another admin account?

Can you get to the event viewer logs via another server? (openevent viewer from a management workstation or server, then  File, Connect To another computer).  You might be able to get a better idea of what is happening from the logs...

Also, although I cannot vouche for these tips, a bit of research shows that many people found that the following solved this same issue:

• Update video drivers
    • remove extra display adapters
    • right click on the "RDP-Tcp (listener)" and select "Reset" (TS Manager, Sessions tab)

Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

Co-Author of the Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services Resource Kit (and a SUPER BIG fan of the Microsoft RDV Team!!!)
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:04 PM