none
Accounts keep getting locked out RRS feed

• Question

• We used to have a policy that would lock out users after 3 wrong passwords than we changed it to 5, Now my boss wants me to do away with the policy altogether. I have completely removed the policy that was setting the lockout but the system is still locking out users that enter the password incorrectly more than 5 times. Can any one help me to determine why this is and how to fix the issue?

Jeremy Robertson Network Admin

Monday, December 17, 2018 9:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is this the domain policy, or do you have Fine Grained Password Policies configured?

The Account Lockout Threshold setting is the number of bad password attempts before the account is locked out. But assigning 0 (zero) to Lockout Threshold means accounts never lockout. Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2003/cc775412(v=ws.10)

Edit: Also, this may help with troubleshooting:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2003/cc773155(v=ws.10)

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Monday, December 17, 2018 10:49 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, a fine-grained password policy which is contradictory to the current password policy might be set. To check if a FGPP is set, we can execute the following command: 

Get-ADFineGrainedPasswordPolicy -Filter {Name -like "*"} | FT Name, Precedence, MaxPasswordAge, MinPasswordLength -A

For more detailed information upon FGPP, you can refer to this article:

https://blogs.manageengine.com/corporate/general/2017/01/13/microsoft-password-policies-gpo-based-vs-fine-grained-policies.html

Hope the information above can be helpful.

Best regards,

Lavilian

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 6:31 AM
  • I had the lock out policy as part of a password policy GPO

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 1:52 PM
  • I have changed the lockout to 0, we will see if this resolves the issue. I will keep you updated.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 1:54 PM
  • Thanks for the response, but we are not using GDPP.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

Has setting the account lockout threshold to zero resolved your problem?

Now that you run the command line I provided and find no FGPP configured, please run gpresult and share with us.

Note: please hide your privacy information.

Best regards,

Lavilian

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 6:04 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Lavilian

Friday, December 21, 2018 9:45 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Lavilian

Monday, December 24, 2018 2:18 AM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Lavilian

Thursday, December 27, 2018 1:52 AM