none
Windows 2008 R2 DC system state backup failed

Question

• Hello

I have win2k8 R2 DC & system state backup is scheduled to n/w drive through script. DHCP role is also installed on same box. system state backup gives error

"The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎01‎-‎24T18:30:14.502902600Z' has failed with following error code '2155347997'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved."

When I have checked backup error log file, it shows " Error in rename of C:\Windows\system32\dhcp\j50tmp.log during backup: Error [0x80070002] The system cannot find the file specified."

Some times backup completed successfully, some times it fails. All the time the error is same with differnet dhcp log file name. I have installed dhcp role recently, before that backup has no issues. After installing DHCP role on this box, I am facing this issue..

Any pointers in this case will be very much helpful. Thanks in advance..

Anand K

Anandk
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:20 AM

Answers

• Hello Anand,

We have found that this issue could happen when the file rename is happening very close to the shadow copy creation (Windows Server Backup creates shadow copy on the source volumes which are being backed up). I believe subsequent backup would run as full & succeed.

Could you check and let us know?

Thanks,

Sriram [MSFT]

Sriram [MSFT]
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 12:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please share us the scripts you used. How about backing up system state manually?

According to the error code “2155347997”,  please obtain the following hotfix:

“2155347997 (0x8078001D)” error code when you perform a system state backup operation in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

As I know, when you use Windows Server Backup to back up the System State of a Domain Controller, you also back up the ADDS database. To back up the System State data of a Domain Controller that is running AD, you can use the same procedure as you back up a member server. However, you must also back up additional files, such as AD database, log files including transaction logs, and all other files for the system components and services that AD depends on.  

In addition to the System State data, you must also back up the Microsoft Windows® boot partition and system partition when you perform either a Windows backup or a full computer backup of a domain controller.  Generally, it is recommended that you back up one domain controller nightly.

In your situation, it seems that sometimes the system fails to rename the j50tmp.log file. As I know, the j50tmp.log is the temporary transaction log that is used to recover incomplete transactions in case of a server malfunction. I am wondering that whether you configure the DHCP backup to protects the data from loss. Please visit the following articles to check the DHCP backup configuration:

More About DHCP Backup and Restore

BTW could you please run the command: vssadmin list writers to check if Jet writer works well.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Thanks Dale for detail analysis.

The backup script is as follows.

wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:\\nwdrive-location -quiet

We will try the patch installation as suggested by you. DHCP synchronous backup is set. We haven't configured manual backup for DHCP.

Anandk
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:05 PM
  • Is the \\nwdrive-location short for the network location? By default, a system state backup to a shared network folder is not supported. Please back up to other local drives (none-critical volume).

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, January 28, 2011 1:38 AM
  • Hello Anand,

We have found that this issue could happen when the file rename is happening very close to the shadow copy creation (Windows Server Backup creates shadow copy on the source volumes which are being backed up). I believe subsequent backup would run as full & succeed.

Could you check and let us know?

Thanks,

Sriram [MSFT]

Sriram [MSFT]
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 12:29 PM
  • I have  the same problem with windows backup on one of our Windows 2008 r2 server. Some times backup complited with errors. In error log shows Error in rename of E:\Mdaemon\Queues\Temp\md50000055280.tmp during backup: Error [0x80070002] The system cannot find the file specified.

Is there any solution of that problem ?

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:06 AM