Users get different regional settings/date format RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Windows 2008 R2 Server which users connect into via Terminal Services so that they can use an application.

On this server I have logged in as admin and under "Region and Languare" set the format to English (United Kingdom) and the short date to dd/MM/yyyy.  In the date and time settings I have set UTC time (Coordinated Universal Time).

When I log in as admin I can see the date in the bottom right corner displaying the date as I would expect: 30/06/2010.  However, users report that the date on their desktops is in US format e.g. 6/30/2010 (Note '6' and not '06').

The users have locked down desktops and cannot change regional or date settings themselves, does anyone know what I can do to ensure all users get the same regional settings as the admin account?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you tell me where the "Administrative" tab, "Copy settings" button are?

When you say "Requires to remove existing ones from that machine, as existing accounts are not effected" I presume you mean user profiles?

Thanks,

Dan

Hello,

if you open the regional and language optoins you should see the "Administrative" tab and yes, i am talking about the exisitng userprofiles that aren't effected.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by AzureStacker Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:45 AM
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:20 AM

All replies

• Hello Daniel,

Is your users report the date "6/30/2010" in their own desktop or in terminal services's desktop?

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Its on the TS desktop for sure as the screenshots show a Windows 2008 R2 date/time box and they are on XP clients.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:12 PM
  • Hello,

did you use the "Administrative" tab, "Copy settings" button, to prepare the server to apply the configured settings for all NEW logged in users? Requires to remove existing ones from that machine, as existing accounts are not effected

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:11 PM
  • It might be easier to just remove the restiction,...let them set it to what it should be and then put the restriction back.  Those settings are not something that a user is going to be just itching to get in there and mess with it anyhow,...so I probably would not have the restiction anyway.

Meinolf's suggestion should take care of new "future" users from that point.

--
    Phillip Windell

The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
    or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "DanielAnthony" <=?utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsQW50aG9ueQ==?=> wrote in message news:66cf9743-7d09-4aeb-af2f-14338d7936a8...

Hello,

I have a Windows 2008 R2 Server which users connect into via Terminal Services so that they can use an application.

On this server I have logged in as admin and under "Region and Languare" set the format to English (United Kingdom) and the short date to dd/MM/yyyy.  In the date and time settings I have set UTC time (Coordinated Universal Time).

When I log in as admin I can see the date in the bottom right corner displaying the date as I would expect: 30/06/2010.  However, users report that the date on their desktops is in US format e.g. 6/30/2010 (Note '6' and not '06').

The users have locked down desktops and cannot change regional or date settings themselves, does anyone know what I can do to ensure all users get the same regional settings as the admin account?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Hi,

When you say "Requires to remove existing ones from that machine, as existing accounts are not effected" I presume you mean user profiles?

Thanks,

Dan

Thursday, July 1, 2010 8:30 AM
  • We have a Windows 2008 server which was set up before I got to this company which does not suffer from this issue, we want to upgrade it to Windows 2008 R2 to take advantage of the enhanced printing.  The test server this problem relates to has Windows 2008 R2 and so we should not have to reduce the security level by letting users change regional settings.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 8:36 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks,

Dan

Hello,

if you open the regional and language optoins you should see the "Administrative" tab and yes, i am talking about the exisitng userprofiles that aren't effected.

• Marked as answer by AzureStacker Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:45 AM
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:20 AM