RD is terminated before even starting, Access is Denied. RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having this error for while now, I connect to one of the servers and it starts doing its thing apparently going through every step just fine but then I get this Access is denied message:

Normally I wouldn't bother trying to fix it because I don't have the time nor the resources to throw at it, I just snapshot the machine back to a working state, files will are centralized in non-Microsoft redundant servers, they are safe. However, when I tried snapshotting back this VM way back to the beginning of the month the error was still there. I figured, it's a domain issue then, so I took it out of the domain and it still wouldn't let me in.

I connected to the machine's console (via Fusion, it's hosted on ESXi) and checked the log.

There was nothing descriptive except for a "reason code 12" which I knew meant basically nothing because I had looked for it before when this started happening, so I went deeper since my snapshot safety is over I need to know how's it fixed.

Most of the RDS related branches in the tree were empty but in Microsoft/Windows/RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS/Operational I found some data, actually a ton, 50+ events per connection attemp. They all occur in the same second. I started following the messages, the one where everything fails is:

Disconnect trace:CUMRDPConnection Disconnect trace:'calling spGfxPlugin->PreDisconnect()' in CUMRDPConnection::PreDisconnect at 4477 err=[0xc], Error code:0xC

Here's a table of the logs I made copying them one by one, I tried adding it here but exceeded the message length: http://fetch.vitanetworks.link/stationary/technet/eventlogerror.pdf it's a PDF, so it should show right in the browser.

Using the system with another account reveals the user that failed to log in, tho whom access was denied, is somehow still logged in. I was informed this when I tried to restart the computer and the warning I would kick other users out showed up. No configuration has been changed on the server, on DCs/GPOs, on the client, nor on the hypervisor. And of course I have no idea what does that graphics thing mean.

The other directory with events was on Microsoft/Windows/RemoteDesktopServices-SessionServices/Operational with a way more decent 2 events per connection attempts:

1    Error        The RDP display control module failed to change the session monitor layout. The operation failed with error code 0xFFFFFFFF.
    2    Information    The RDP display control module successfully changed the session monitor layout. New layout has 1 monitors.

And that's all the info I have. Could you point me where to go next to get more information or how to proceed from here? I don't want to reinstall Windows, I put way too much time on these machines. :/

Thanks for your help!

I bet you think this post is about you. Don't you…don't you. ♪

• Edited by zvita Thursday, December 27, 2018 6:49 AM
    Thursday, December 27, 2018 6:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I want to confirm with you:
    1. If the remote system is a VM?
    2. If you use Remote Desktop Connection (MSTSC) to establish the remote session? 
    3. Is Hyper-V the virtualization tool/software?  
    4. What is the source and remote OS version?
    5. Have you configured RDS servers, or, only enable remote desktop connection locally via system configuration?

Please provide above information.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 27, 2018 9:47 AM
  • I'm sorry for the delay, I was expecting an email but didn't I'm going to check my notif setifs after this. :/

Yes, it's a VM but it's not on Hyper-V, nor it runs an RDS deployment. There is an RDS deployment on the domain but it's tiny and this server doesn't belong to it. Nor the other servers that have had this issue--those were fixed by rolling them back, luckily, this is the first time a snapshot made no difference.

The server is on Windows Server 2016, the client is usually Microsoft Remote Desktop for macOS, Remmina on Red Hat, Fedora, … yep, mstsc on Windows 10, or other 2016 Server.

On second though, an RDS server had the same issue, but it was rolled back and it is still working. This appears to happen randomly. All servers are on physically identical hypervisors.

Thanks for your help!

Thursday, December 27, 2018 12:31 PM
  • Hi,

>Warning RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS 228 RemoteFX module Disconnect trace:CUMRDPConnection Disconnect trace:'calling spGfxPlugin->PreDisconnect()' in CUMRDPConnection::PreDisconnect at 4477 err=[0xc], Error code:0xC

>Error        The RDP display control module failed to change the session monitor layout. The operation failed with error code 0xFFFFFFFF.

Please try to establish Remote Desktop connection to the problematic system from Windows client using MSTSC and check the result.

It would be helpful to identify whether it is specific RDC application relate problem. 

Besides, on remote system, if RemoteFX is enable, please make sure firewall rule which corresponding to RemoteFX is also enabled. 

You can check below link for detail configuration:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/ff817578(v=ws.10)

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 28, 2018 8:35 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang 

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, January 4, 2019 7:12 AM
  • No, didn't get any better. But looking on the bright side I was able to move a lot of services that ran on Windows to RHEL Server. It was for the better too, VMs are much lighter. My CA was one of the latest victims and that one did hurt, sure I can request anything from a domain controller, but there's this bug that when a smart card cert on-behalf-of is requested, only one can be requested at a boot--not at a time, at a computer reboot. Sometimes closing MMC is enough. Directly in the CA I cannot request them one after another either, but at least I have to restart apps half as much.

Also, after restoring a snapshot, my RDS CALs went missing. I thought this was stored at the domain level. I have no idea what happened that the machine with the license service tells me 120 days passed already. I didn't take the trial period in this domain. So thought I appreciate your help, I'd have no way to do a a thing about it until I contact Microsoft, they tell me I they can't do anything about it and end up purchasing more RDS CALs anyway. :(

Friday, February 8, 2019 10:38 PM