none
AVHDX files without existing snapshots (Hyper-V 2016) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, 

I accidentally found out some AVHDX files for one of the virtual machine drives. 

I inspected SQL-CPH2-OS.vhdx and got this. 

So as you can see it is not referring to any of AVHDX files.

I also checked whether a snapshot or snapshots exist for this server but found nothing.

If someone ever had the similar situation please advise if it is safe to delete those AVHDX files.

Regards,  

Thursday, July 4, 2019 11:14 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Before doing any changes, make sure to take backups of your files, a simple copy of your virtual machine files will be sufficient.

Looking at the dates of these AVHDX files, they are pretty old and should definitely be cleaned up.

Also by looking at your screenshot of the VHDX that you've inspected, it doesn't appear to have any association to any of the AVHDX files, also if the Get-VMSnapshot returns nothing, and the Hyper-V Manager reports that no checkpoints are available for your virtual machine, it should be safe to simply delete them.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, July 4, 2019 11:32 PM
  • hello kindly asking Question .. it is okie if I can just simply add action "SAVE" to my Hyper V, then delete the checkpoint subtree! u think it will automatically merge the avhdx to the VHDX?
    Thursday, July 4, 2019 11:52 PM
  • Hi,

Just check the situation about your issue.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, July 8, 2019 7:58 AM
  • Hi Leon, 

Thanks for your reply. 

Will see what can be done. 

"Looking at the dates of these AVHDX files, they are pretty old and should definitely be cleaned up." - this makes sense but need to have a reliable backup prior trying this.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 6:06 AM
  • Hi frank_song, 

Can't provide any update as just need to give it some time and see how it goes. 

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 6:06 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Best Regards,

Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 6:50 AM
  • Hi guys, 

Gave another inspection to all files and found this. 

As you can see all 5 differencing disk are referring to the original disk as a parent. 

They're not referring to each other. 

How it is even possible? 

And once again - do you think it is safe to delete them?

Thank you.  

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

For protect your data, I suggest you backup these avhds to other storage and monitor for a few of days.

In VDI environment, it is possible for different avhd point to the same vhd.

Best Regards,

Frank

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:46 AM
  • Hi Frank,

Will try. Just one note - it is a VDI setup. 

Regards.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:06 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Best Regards,

Frank

Friday, July 19, 2019 3:11 AM