none
Importing Hyper-V VM to Windows 8.1 Hyper-V from Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V Export gives error

Question

• Hi,

On Windows 8.1 Preview with running Hyper-V I can't import any more exported VM's from Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V export. It worked great on Windows 8. Of course I manage to use just VHD, and everything is working, but this is additional step, first to create VM.

Is it a Windows 8.1 Preview bug or expected behavior?

Best regards,

Zvonimir

Zvonimir Mavretić, eVision - www.eVision.hr

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 6:28 AM

Answers

• VM's that are exported from Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2 utilized the version 1 WMI namespace which resulted in a .exp file to represent the exported virtual machine.  In Windows Server 2012 we introduced a new WMI namespace (version 2 or root\virtualization\v2) which implemented a much better import/export model – allowing you to effectively just copy the virtual machine folder (with the VM’s XML configuration file inside it) as well as the VM’s VHDs and then import that directly.  For Windows Server 2012 we maintained the version 1 WMI namespace which allowed for importing of Windows Server 2008/R2 VM’s on 2012.

In Windows Server 2012 R2 we have removed the old version 1 namespace which means we can’t import virtual machines that where exported from Windows Server 2008/R2.  However we can import them if you copy the virtual machine xml file and VHD’s – to do this you need to stop the vmms on the 2008/R2 server – copy all of the virtual machine files/vhds to the Windows Server 2012 R2 server and then import them.

-Taylor Brown
    -Program Manager, Hyper-V
    -http://blogs.msdn.com/taylorb

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:14 PM

All replies

• VM's that are exported from Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2 utilized the version 1 WMI namespace which resulted in a .exp file to represent the exported virtual machine.  In Windows Server 2012 we introduced a new WMI namespace (version 2 or root\virtualization\v2) which implemented a much better import/export model – allowing you to effectively just copy the virtual machine folder (with the VM’s XML configuration file inside it) as well as the VM’s VHDs and then import that directly.  For Windows Server 2012 we maintained the version 1 WMI namespace which allowed for importing of Windows Server 2008/R2 VM’s on 2012.

In Windows Server 2012 R2 we have removed the old version 1 namespace which means we can’t import virtual machines that where exported from Windows Server 2008/R2.  However we can import them if you copy the virtual machine xml file and VHD’s – to do this you need to stop the vmms on the 2008/R2 server – copy all of the virtual machine files/vhds to the Windows Server 2012 R2 server and then import them.

-Taylor Brown

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Thank you, that is eve better then than shut down, Export, copy, import... we avoid Export wait, great!!!

Zvonimir Mavretić, eVision - www.eVision.hr

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:19 PM

-Taylor Brown

This is something I cannot do with MS Learning VM's. There must be an easy solution to import older formats to the newer versions of Hyper-V. 

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

My Blog | Hire Me

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 8:34 PM

-Taylor Brown

This is something I cannot do with MS Learning VM's. There must be an easy solution to import older formats to the newer versions of Hyper-V. 

My Blog | Hire Me

Janos, have you found your way of importing MS Learning VMs? They seem to be missing an .xml-file that is needed for import, only the .exp-file... By loading them to a "middle-station" (Server 2012) I can during the import create the needed .xml-file, but that tripples the job needed to import the Machines.

Mostly greatful if you have some experience to share.

Joel

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:42 AM
  • Joel,

Unfortunately I needed to recreate the VM definition manually there is no option for direct or indirect upgrade, at least I did not try indirect one (upgrade to 2012 then 2012R2)

Janos

My Blog | Hire Me

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:14 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. In my opinion there should be at least a third-party program, maybe using powershell-scripts etc, that converts the .exp-file to an .xml-file. I am absolutely amazed that 2012R2 itself doesn't handle that, because it is the only crucial difference between "able to import" and "not able to import". This is actually the kind of "hotfixes" that Windows Update should be about. But I suppose they will include in in Server 2015, and then let you pay for the upgrade in that way.
    Friday, December 13, 2013 7:12 AM
  • Why you have removed the old version 1 namespace? What can we do with exported VM?

I'm MCT and use learning VM in the old version. I'm use Windows 8.1 and can't import one's.

Sunday, February 02, 2014 7:13 PM
  • Why you have removed the old version 1 namespace? What can we do with exported VM?

I'm MCT and use learning VM in the old version. I'm use Windows 8.1 and can't import one's.

The only way to import into 8.1 is to import the VMs into Win8/Server 2012 first. At import, a new import file (.xml) will be created. That one, together with the VM that couldn't be imported can now be imported, once you delete the .exp-file.
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:04 AM
  • I'm MCT also and I created a new VM without disk and after I attached the Virtual Disk and in the process ask me for the parent disk, that way was faster.

kldo

Monday, March 24, 2014 5:35 PM
  • This blog post have some suggestions under "What to do".

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/archive/2013/10/22/windows-hyper-v-2012-amp-8-1-hyper-v-did-not-find-virtual-machine-to-import.aspx

We used the copy method, only extra step is basically to select register or whatever method you want in the import.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:20 PM