none
Will the running VMs be impacted if I restart the "Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management" service?

Question

• The host OS is Windows Server 2008 R2. Because of some particular reason, I have to restart the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service on the host. I don't know if this will impact the VMs (guest OS). This is the production environment. I don't have a lab environment to test. Thanks!

Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:09 AM

Answers

• Hi!

Restarting or stopping the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service should not affect running VM's, only your ability to manage them such as through Hyper-V manager.

• Proposed as answer by FZB Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by BrianEhMVP, Moderator Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:41 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Like Andrews said, your VMs are not going to be affected by stopping/restarting the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service. Durring that time those VMs will dissapear from the Hyper-V Management console, and you won't be able to manage them.

Adrian Costea - MCP, MCTS, MCSA 2003, MCITP: Windows 7

My Blog: www.vkernel.ro/blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you restart this service, your virtual machines will be unavailable for the time of restart. 

Why do yo have to do this operation ? 

David LACHARI
    MVP Virtual Machine - VCP et VTSP vSphere 4.1
    Blog DansTonCloud
    Auteur du livre Hyper-v v2 sous Windows Server 2008 R2

Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Hi!

Restarting or stopping the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service should not affect running VM's, only your ability to manage them such as through Hyper-V manager.

• Proposed as answer by FZB Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by BrianEhMVP, Moderator Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:41 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Like Andrews said, your VMs are not going to be affected by stopping/restarting the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service. Durring that time those VMs will dissapear from the Hyper-V Management console, and you won't be able to manage them.

Adrian Costea - MCP, MCTS, MCSA 2003, MCITP: Windows 7

My Blog: www.vkernel.ro/blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Thanks Mike and Adrian.
    Friday, July 20, 2012 2:00 AM
  • David, this is *NOT* true - the virtual machines certainly are 100% available if the service is stopped or restarted.

You will be able to use any virtual machine while the service is down or restarting and users will be unaffected.

You will not be able to manage the virtual machines via the Hyper-V Manager - and you will not be able to connect to the virtual machines from the Hyper-V manager.   But you may still access the virtual machines via RDC and all it's resources.

... david ...

Software developer

• Edited by David Wasy Monday, March 27, 2017 7:03 AM
    Monday, March 27, 2017 7:01 AM