none
Unattend.xml support in Nano RRS feed

• Question

• I've been testing with the Microsoft script to build a Nano image and VHD file. Part of the script is building an unattend.xml file on the fly and inserting it into the image. That is great. But from my testing, it seems that support for all unattend.xml settings is incomplete in Nano. Primarily, I don't seem to be able to inject an unattend file with IP configuration settings.  Is there is limitation today with unattend.xml files and Nano? 

Jeffery Hicks
    Microsoft PowerShell MVP
    http://jdhitsolutions.com/blog
    follow me: www.twitter.com/JeffHicks
    "Those who forget to script are doomed to repeat their work."
    Now Available: Windows PowerShell 2.0: TFM (SAPIEN Press)

Thursday, June 18, 2015 1:30 PM

All replies

• Hello Jeffery,

The unattended setup that runs on Nano Server is a subset of regular Windows setup. The idea is to enable offline configuration of the node as much as possible. Specialize and oobeSystem passes are constrained to be quick and efficient. Settings that can cause reboots are not supported. Some essential settings that need to reboot the machine such as ComputerName are now supported in the OfflineServicing pass. See: ComputerName and Domain Join.

Additional unattend settings like IP configuration settings are on our radar but are not available in the first preview release. But your voice will help us gauge the need for these settings. Thanks for the feedback.

In the meanwhile, would using SetupComplete.cmd to set IP address on first boot work for you?

Thanks,

Pooja Nagpal

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 6:20 PM
  • I know this is an older note, but I wanted to vote for a more robust unattend.xml support.  It will be a royal pain to have to maintain separate unattend.xml automation.

Looks like I will have to move 'un-common' points to setupcomplete.cmd for now.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, January 11, 2016 10:02 PM