none
Hyper V and VMtools: "Setup Failed to detemine which VM product..." RRS feed

• Question

• We are now moving VM's from ESXi to Hyper V.

Because we do not have VCenter, we use the free ESXi version, we only do P2V conversion from VMM 2008 to Hyper V hosts.

Doing that, the VM tools move with the VM, and when tried to remove on the new Hyper V VM, send an error:

"Setup Failed to detemine which VM product this virtual machine is running on. Click OK to cancel the installation"

We finally fix this, doing this:

1- go to the microsoft web site, download the Fix it portable

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_file_and_folder_diag/en-us

Use the "Advanced-Download to run on a different or disconnected computer", to have the app locally.

Run it in the VM server, and select "Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled"

Select "Uninstall" and then select the "VM tools".

VM Tools should be gone. But still some Win services remains, go step2.

2- Run the following commands or create a batch that contains:

sc delete "VMware Physical Disk Helper Service"
    sc delete "VMvss"
    sc delete "VMtools"
    sc delete "VMUpgradeHelper"

And that should get rid of such services.  VM is now cleaned of VM tools.

If anyone knows a better way, please post it.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:16 PM

Answers

• Hi AlexitoRG,

The new tools are on the way about converting from vmware.

How to convert VMWare (VMKD) Virtual Machine into Hyper-V (VHD) Virtual Machine | VHD Converter | Convert VMWare VM into Hyper-V VM

"The Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter Solution Accelerator (MVMC) is a Microsoft supported, standalone solution installed by the IT Professional (Pro) or Solution Provider who want to convert VMWare® virtual machines and disks to Hyper-V based virtual machines and disks. Capabilities of the MVMC solution include performing full VMware virtual machine conversions as well, as VMware virtual hard disk conversion to Hyper-V virtual hard disks (VHD)."

https://connect.microsoft.com/site14/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=42754

You can try this.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language)

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:10 PM
  • You should remove the VMWare Tools before you to the P2V conversion.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:11 PM
  • I moved a VM from a ESXi to a new Hyper V 2012 host with a tool called 5nine EasyConverter.

The job was sucessful but the new VM, a Win 2003 R2, did not have the Hyper V integration services, AND had the VMtools still running.

The VM boot up fine, but had no mouse pointer control, no NICs, etc and keeps asking to install new hardware and asked for a VMBUS.sys file.

I tried to reinstall integration services, but sent an error saying "already running current version of integration services", and install failed.

SOLUTION:

First, I uninstalled VMtools with the "Launch Fix it" and selected uninstall VMtools

Then I tried again the install  Hyper V integration services, but instead of running the setup.exe, go to your CD drive\support\x86 and then run the Windows5.x-HyperVIntegrationServices-x86.msi directly and will run without validating.

That's it.

Just remember to use -x64.msi if your OS is 64 bits.

Good luck!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi AlexitoRG,

The new tools are on the way about converting from vmware.

How to convert VMWare (VMKD) Virtual Machine into Hyper-V (VHD) Virtual Machine | VHD Converter | Convert VMWare VM into Hyper-V VM

"The Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter Solution Accelerator (MVMC) is a Microsoft supported, standalone solution installed by the IT Professional (Pro) or Solution Provider who want to convert VMWare® virtual machines and disks to Hyper-V based virtual machines and disks. Capabilities of the MVMC solution include performing full VMware virtual machine conversions as well, as VMware virtual hard disk conversion to Hyper-V virtual hard disks (VHD)."

https://connect.microsoft.com/site14/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=42754

You can try this.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language)

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:10 PM
  • You should remove the VMWare Tools before you to the P2V conversion.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:11 PM
  • I generally remove the VM tools first, then convert using the Data ONTAP PowerShell Toolkit  ConvertTo-NaVhd cmdlet.

J

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Tool looks good. The link provided did not work for me, but use this:

https://connect.microsoft.com/site14/MVMC

Let me do some tests.

For the other posts, I usually do not like to remove the VMtools, in case I have to return to my original VM. A snapshot will fix that problem, just like the MS tool does.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:26 PM
  • http://blogs.technet.com/b/erikl/archive/2012/04/13/microsoft-virtual-machine-converter-beta-mvmc.aspx

Sorry .

You can check out here.

Also you can use 5nine V2V Easy Converter (Free)

http://www.5nine.com/vmware-hyper-v-v2v-conversion-free.aspx

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:41 PM
  • I moved a VM from a ESXi to a new Hyper V 2012 host with a tool called 5nine EasyConverter.

The job was sucessful but the new VM, a Win 2003 R2, did not have the Hyper V integration services, AND had the VMtools still running.

The VM boot up fine, but had no mouse pointer control, no NICs, etc and keeps asking to install new hardware and asked for a VMBUS.sys file.

I tried to reinstall integration services, but sent an error saying "already running current version of integration services", and install failed.

SOLUTION:

First, I uninstalled VMtools with the "Launch Fix it" and selected uninstall VMtools

Then I tried again the install  Hyper V integration services, but instead of running the setup.exe, go to your CD drive\support\x86 and then run the Windows5.x-HyperVIntegrationServices-x86.msi directly and will run without validating.

That's it.

Just remember to use -x64.msi if your OS is 64 bits.

Good luck!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:20 PM
  • Here are the steps to completely remove VMWare Tools when migrated to a different Hypervisor environment (Tested on Windows 2008R2 VM's running on Windows 2016 Hyper-V platform migrated from VMWare 4.1).

1. Stop all VMWare services
    2. Uninstall all "Unknown devices" from Device Manager
    3. Show Hidden devices in device manager and remove any starting with VMWare
    4. Delete all VMWare services using Admin command prompt "sc delete SERVICENAME"
    5. Run the VMWare tools installer (from elevated command prompt) run setup /c.  This will remove registry entries and program group
    5. Delete the VMWare tools Program folder.  

You will need to download the VMWare tools installer from the vSphere server, I powered up a VM and did manual install and copied files directly from the mounted ISO in VMware Virtual Machine.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 3:39 PM