none
Event ID 3210

Question

• I am getting event id 3210 on my windows 2008 R2 file server cluster.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NETLOGON
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 3210
    Date: <Date >
    Time: <Time>M
    User: N/A
    Computer: <Computer name>
    Description: This computer could not authenticate with <Computer name>, a Windows domain controller for domain <Domain>, and therefore this computer might deny logon requests. This inability to authenticate might be caused by another computer on the same network using the same name or the password for this computer account is not recognized. If this message appears again, contact your system administrator.

The error keeps popping all the time. Services on the server are not affected but users are reporting problem when accessing the folder ACL. They are not able to see the actual user names in ACL. Only SID is displayed.

Environment is

Windows 2003 R2 SP2 domain controller

Windows 2008 R2 Clustered single copy file server

How to resolve this error? Is there any hot fix available?

Regards,

Shridhar

Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:22 AM

Answers

• Apply the SP1 & hotfix posted above to first resolve the issue on the server.

Regards  

Awinish Vishwakarma| CHECK MY BLOG

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by shrijapan Monday, June 20, 2011 5:29 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:14 AM

All replies

• It looks to be there is other system in the network using same hostname/IP & due to which refresh of secure channel password didn't take place & secure channel between DC & member server is broken, which can only be solved by disjoining & rejoing the machine in the domain.

Try the below article, it might resolve the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942564

Is your system is running windows 2008 SP1, as almost 800 fixes has been released with SP1, test & deploy it on the machine which is just running windows 2008 R2.

Error 1789 when you use the LookupAccountName function on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976494/en-us

Regards  

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:41 AM
  • Awinish,

There is no other system on the network that uses same name or IP. I am sure about that.

This problem is only on Windows 2008 R2 servers. All Windows 2008 R2 SP1 servers are fine.

I just had discussions with my colleague. I will install SP1 and check the status. I will update accordingly.

Thanks for help

Shridhar

Thursday, June 16, 2011 4:20 AM
  • Hello,

as you are mention about only SIDs are shown this can belong to DNS connectivity problems, so please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the problem machines and the DC/DNS servers.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:35 AM
  • For SID issue apply the hotfix posted above link, might resolve your issue, but make sure member server is configured with local DNS server only.

Regards  

Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:46 AM
  • Hi,

Server is able to resolve these SIDs on server (RDC) itself. I am not able to resolve them from my desktop windows XP SP3.

Regards,

Shridhar

Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:28 AM
  • Did you check the DNS configured properly on your windows XP machine, i mean its pointing to only local dns server in the domain.You can get the nslookup resolved from the desktop.

Regards  

Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:32 AM
  • Nslookup is working fine from my client as well as from server. DNS Response is also right. I guess this is something related to above error 3210. by the way I just checked it and some how I am able to resolve it now.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:37 AM
  • Might be there is connection drop & you didn't notice it & it is resolved when it got reconnected automatically.

Regards  

Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:42 AM
  • here is one more update. I tested results on user home directory. Each user has its own HD with full permission on it. I am able to resolve some user names but few user names are not resolvable. These users are there in AD and are not disabled.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:03 AM
  • Hello,

please post the requested ipconfig /all from all DC/DNS servers and the problem machines.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:07 AM
  • Apply the SP1 & hotfix posted above to first resolve the issue on the server.

Regards  

• Marked as answer by shrijapan Monday, June 20, 2011 5:29 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:14 AM
  • Awinish,

Yups I will first go ahead with SP1. Hope it will fix it.

Weber

I am so sorry but I am not allowed to post it over here.

Regards,

Shridhar

Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

If the issue persists after installing SP1, please try to reset secure channel as Awinish mentioned. For more information, please also refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

Resetting Domain Member Secure Channel

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175024

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support  in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com .

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 7:59 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Everything look fine after installing SP1 on Node 2. Error is gone. All the resources from Node 1 are moved to Node 2. After moving to Node 2 SID problem is also gone. Desktops are able to display names properly. I will install SP1 on Node 1 after 2 or 3 days.

I just checked other non clustered non SP1 W2K8 R2 servers. They are also reporting same problem (Event ID 3210). I will need to install SP1 on them.

Some vendors are still not ready to support SP1 which will be a problem to deploy SP1 on W2K8 R2 servers. Is there any plan to release hotfix for this problem?

Regards,

Shridhar

Monday, June 20, 2011 5:10 AM
  • I have been observing deployment of windows 2008 R2 SP1 w/o any issues till now, so vendor should support it as its been official by MS to deploy windows 2008 R2 SP1 w/o any issues & you can justify them almost 800 fixes for security & compatibility has been included in SP1, so service packs resolves the issues. AFAIK, there is no incompatibility or issues known to me because of SP1 till now with the multiple clients i have been working.

Regards  

Monday, June 20, 2011 5:24 AM
  • Lets hope I will be able to install SP1 on all W2K8 R2 servers.

Thanks for help.

Shridhar

Monday, June 20, 2011 5:29 AM
  • Good to hear issue has been resolved & thanks for the update, its definitely going to help others.

Regards  

Monday, June 20, 2011 5:32 AM
  • Awinish,

Completed installation of SP1 on node 1. Everything is back to normal. Hope this thing (3210) doesnt show up after a month.

Regards,

Shridhar

Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:16 AM
  • I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd put in my two cents if anyone is still getting this error.  Had this issue on a PC I manage.  Was able to fix it by simply removing and re-adding to domain.  I'm sure the MS article that was posted would probably work too, but if not may try re-adding to domain.
    Monday, June 24, 2013 6:55 PM