none
Folder Redirection/Offline Files on Win 7 | Folders are empty when not connected to the domain

General discussion

• I've been struggling with this issue for days and cannot seem to find anyone else with a similar issue.

I will note first that I have tried using both roaming profiles and the group policy setting for force local profiles.... now onto the problem.

What I am trying to do is have my teachers accounts log onto their laptops using their domain credentials. Once logged in their desktop and documents are redirected to a network share //server/redirects/documents/.

This works fine when the computer is connected to the domain network. Offline File Sync works great and caches the files locally.  

However this all breaks down when the user logs in when the computer is no longer connected to the domain network. When the user logs in the desktop and documents are empty. What I find very odd is if I manually go to the offline file folder all of the files are there, The group policy folder redirection does not execute to the offline folder. Is this by Design? (It does not work like this on Vista, I have the exact same group policy settings set on vista machines and it works flawlessly).

Additional Info

When I look at the event log there is no folder redirection events at all when user logs in and is not connected to the network.

In addition a new profile is create in c:/users/username.domain.00x. Every log in creates an additional profile. There is a event that states that a registry files were still in use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Saturday, August 14, 2010 6:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, there are two problem:

1. Folder Redirection with Offline Files cannot work on Windows 7.
    2. A new profile was created when user logon. An event states that a Registry file were still in use.

The new profile problem may be caused by software conflicts. Try to disable or remove all software, including anti-virus, Firewall to test.

If the issue still occur, please help to collect the following information to test:

1. Did these two events occur to one user account?
    2. When the user connect to Domain, does the new profile issue occur?

Let’s use Process Monitor to trace the user logon process:

Process Monitor
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx   

Logon as Local Admin, download and run it. Click File menu, check Capture Events, click Start, choose Switch User, logon as the problematic user, when the error occurs, switch back to the Local Admin, uncheck Capture Events again. Exported events to Logfile.PML and upload the file to Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/). If you would like other community member to analyze the report, you can paste the link here, if not, you can send the link to tfwst@microsoft.com.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:50 AM
  • The GPO is: User configuration > Policies > Windows Settings > Folder Redirection > Documents.  We give the Path of:  \\Server\Foldershare\%UserName%\My Documents

The Share Permissions on “FolderShare” are: Everyone Full

The NTFS Permission on “FolderShare” is set for”Domain Users” are: Read attributes; Read extended Attributes; Read Permissions (keeps users from other folders)

The user must have Full control of the folder “%UserName%” or the sync will not work correctly.   We usual create the folder for the User and then run the command;   icacls NameofUSERFolder /t /grant:r DOMAIN\USER:(OI)(CI)F

Apply the GPO to the user and do a gpupdate /Force

The results will be in  Computer Management > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application .  Source Folder Redirection Event 501

Watch out, if you had this redirection going to a different location, you may need manually force the redirection back to the local system and then apply the new GPO.  Also, if it was cached for Offline, delete the Cache.  Sometimes it leaves a Ghost and the system thinks it is going to the other location still.

Monday, August 16, 2010 5:23 PM
  • Oh, and I forgot.  If you are running Windows 7 the log for Folder Redirection: Event Viewer > Appicaitons and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Folder Redirection.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:22 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the suggestions? Any update is welcomed. If there is any problem, please let us know the detailed error message.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:22 AM
  • Hey I have this same problem.  It's only with one laptop though.  All of our other laptops are not having the issue.  Could it be a hardware issue.  Was this ever resolved?
    Monday, November 8, 2010 11:38 PM
  • I'm curious about the statement "Folder Redirection with Offline Files cannot work on Windows 7".  Due to the issues that I've been having in my environment I would tend to believe this statement.  However, I've not found any official documentation from Microsoft even acknowledging many of the problems with Windows 7 and offline files I have seen discussed in these very forums.
    • Edited by waymanjp Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:06 PM incorrect term
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:05 PM
  • There is a very similar problem being described here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/df22f06f-656f-459d-906b-f0101418cffc?prof=required

Can anyone else tell us what's the matter? Surely such a feature wouldn't need so much configuration, apart from the documented steps ?!??!

Edit:  this is also documented here: http://serverfault.com/questions/170455/folder-redirection-offline-files-on-win-7-folders-are-empty-when-not-connected.

Edit again: mapped a drive Z to the location where the Documents folder is redirected to via Group Policy Preferences. Seems to have solved the problem.

However I don't think a drive should HAVE to be mapped. This could be a fix but nevertheless there's still a (major) bug within Windows 7!

Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:42 PM
  • in win 7 you need to make the usershare available offline, then change the Documents path the the drive mapped and make it the Save location.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:53 PM
  • definitely not a hardware issue, I swapped to a new laptop and am having the same problem.  any luck with this?
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:28 PM
  • As I said, use GPP to map a drive to your documents ("home folder"). That should then take care of the problem.

I wonder if the issue will be fixed for Windows 8???

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:42 PM