Monitoring Solaris Hardware RRS feed

• Question

• We've managed (finally) to get our Solaris servers monitored - However, there seems to be a logic gap between out incumbent BMC monitor and SCOM in that we can't seem to monitor the hardware - The servers are v240 and v880.

Can anyone else shed any light on this at all as the only thing I found was to monitor Windows OS on Solaris servers...

• Moved by WadeWe Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:58 PM New forum (From:Cross Platform Solutions for System Center)
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:08 AM

Answers

• http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-2771-16

That's what I mean - that link says how to monitor Windows Server 2003/2008 running on Sun hardware.

We've gone down the line of using local logging which will suffice for now.

• Marked as answer by Robert_Hearn Friday, December 3, 2010 6:09 PM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:27 AM

All replies

• I am not sure what you mean by "monitor Windows OS on Solaris servers" (?).

Anyway, the Cross Platform Management Packs in OpsMgr are built to be roughly equivalent to our Windows Management Packs in terms of functionality: monitor performance of CPU, Disk, Memory, critical system processes/services/daemons, read important logs... at the OPERATING SYSTEM LEVEL. Of course some types of hardware failures will be detected by (or surface to) the OS, but not all.

Also on Windows, we rely on the hardware vendors (HP, Dell, IBM, etc...) to tell us the lower-level information such as "the fan is not turning" or "the cpu is overheating" or "the hardware RAID is degrading"... the "Base OS" management packs can't go so deep, because each hardware vendor has its own APIs to talk to their device drivers and they report failures in different ways.

This does not mean you can't tap into those logfiles and detect those conditions if you know what to look for.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:27 AM
  • http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-2771-16

That's what I mean - that link says how to monitor Windows Server 2003/2008 running on Sun hardware.

We've gone down the line of using local logging which will suffice for now.

• Marked as answer by Robert_Hearn Friday, December 3, 2010 6:09 PM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:27 AM