none
The selected disk is of GPT partition style

Question

• I tried to install windows server 2008 r2 on my partition. When I select the partion, i got the error message "Windows can not be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"

Can anyone assist?

ss

Saturday, January 05, 2013 2:15 AM

All replies

• Maybe this one helps.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/05798532-d8c0-4f9e-b12f-58d3a0ee4c07/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, January 05, 2013 2:56 AM
  • If there is any progress please just let us know.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 07, 2013 8:28 AM
  • Solution does not work. I treid with DVD image of ISO file and it did not work. I wanted try Flash drive also. I  I tried to copy the same .ISO file onto my Flash drive and rebooted my laptop. Then I hit F12 key (dell laptop) to get my boot manager. I can't see the Flash drive to select. Am I missing anything?

ss

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 4:38 PM
  • You might also try deleting / creating partition with XP install disk.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 1:21 AM
  • I partitioned the disk using windows 8 install disk. 

ss

Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:19 PM
  • Hello,

Does the disk have any data on it?

Open a command prompt and run diskpart

select disk 0

detail disk

What is the output from that command?

you can run convert MBR while in diskpart to convert a disk from GPT to MBR.

This will remove any data that is on the disk ( all volumes will be gone, the disk will be empty if you convert it)

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:28 AM
  • Windows 8 has already been there. If I run Convert MBR, it will remove my windows 8 o/s, which I don't want to do. Is there any better way?
    Thanks,

Sridhar subramanian

ss

Friday, January 25, 2013 7:08 PM
  • Didn't know you wanted dual boot. This one might help.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2013/01/13/windows-7-and-windows-8-dual-boot-from-vhd.aspx

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, January 26, 2013 1:21 AM
  • Click on the drive and the select "format drive". Now you should be able to "delete" the partition. Then click "new". This worked for me!
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:28 PM
  • You may need to verify the DVD is booted via UEFI mode. I have not used this model system you have, but some will have a separate UEFI option for bootable devices in the boot menu.
    Monday, March 11, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:52 AM
  • Simple fix after looking thru all the lame suggestions I've seen,,,

http://youtu.be/QbRGFiigB5c

Sunday, August 18, 2013 12:07 AM
  • Convert GPT to MBR with Diskpart

In some technology or computer forum, some technicians give some advice that convert GPT to MBR with Diskpart, which is run by program code. The specific steps are following below:

• Enter system installing interface by using Win 7 disc or USB hard drive boot. and then press “Shift”+”F10” to open the command prompt.
    • Input “Diskpart” (do not input quotation mark, the following as well), and then press “Enter”to enter operating interface.
    • Input “list disk”: to check hard disk properties. Pay more attention to capacity of hard disk to select. Usually, disk 0 is hard disk, and disk 1 is the usb dirve where wins 7 install.
    • Input “select disk 0”: to select disk 0 as the disk that is operating.
    • Input “clean”: to clean up current hard disk’s partition.
    • Input “convert mbr”: to convert GPT into MBR.
    • Input “create partition primary size = xxx”: to create the size of primary partition.
    • Input “format fs = ntfs quickly”: to format disk to NTFS quickly.
    • Input “exit”: to finish operating.
    • Input “exit”: to shut down the command prompt.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 2:35 PM