none
DHCP Server Error 1028: Access is Denied RRS feed

• Question

• Some time ago I started seeing this error in the event logs for my DHCP server (Windows Server 2012 R2):

The DHCP service failed to initialize the audit log. The following error occurred: 
    Access is denied.

This only applies to the IPv4 log files in C:\Windows\System32\dhcp. The IPv6 logs are fine. Here's the odd behavior I'm seeing:

• Trying to view the log files results in "Access is denied"
    • Trying to view the log files in Notepad run as administrator results in "You don’t have permission to open this file. Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission."
    • Trying to view the security of the files doesn't work. I can't view the owner or any of the settings. The settings for the parent folder allow administrators (which I am) full control with inheritance enabled.

I've tried a few things to fix the issue:

• I set the permissions on the parent folder so that both DHCPServer and Network Service accounts have full control with inheritance enabled.
    • I deleted the problem files and restarted the DHCP Server service. The files came back with the same file size and modified date (What? odd)

This is really bizarre and I'm not sure what else to check. Anyone have any ideas?

• Edited by cknight24 Friday, November 25, 2016 6:46 PM
    Friday, November 25, 2016 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Cknight,

>>Trying to view the log files results in "Access is denied"

Please right-click log file and click properties to check if account is in permission list of log file.

>>The DHCP service failed to initialize the audit log. The following error occurred: 

Please check the article below to fix issue:

Event ID 1028 — DHCP Audit Logginghttps://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726876(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 28, 2016 2:54 AM
  • Hi John,

As I stated in the original post:

• Trying to view the security of the files doesn't work. I can't view the owner or any of the settings. The settings for the parent folder allow administrators (which I am) full control with inheritance enabled.

I've reviewed the articles. All they state is to set the security permissions, which I can't do...

Monday, November 28, 2016 1:23 PM
  • Hi Cknight,

>>I can't view the owner or any of the settings.

Did it show the same error message when you view security of folder?

Did all of log files has same issue?

You could create account, and add it in DHCP Server group, and logon DHCP server by this account to check DHCP log security permissions.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 9:09 AM
  • I've having this same issue. Did you ever find a fix?
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 4:34 PM