none
To install Remote Desktop Services User CAL on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition with SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Sir,

Presently we have installed Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition with SP 1. And now i would like to install Remote Desktop Services User CAL on this server. I have 25 digit product key of Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services User CAL (20). Downloaded this product key from our MSDN Subscriptions.

Kindly suggest me how to install (CAL server with product key that i have) and configure remote desktop services on my above existing server also how to point other server with my CAL server.

Thanks

• Edited by kailas_bhar Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:20 AM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:12 AM

Answers

• Here is a tech note about remote desktop licensing

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725933.aspx

You need to create and activate a license server. When you have done that, you can add the 20 users CAL to the licensing server.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:18 AM
  • Hi,

1. Install Remote Desktop Session Host and Remote Desktop Licensing Role Services using Server Manager.

2. Open RD Licensing Manager (licmgr.exe), Activate your server, then install your license

3. In RD Session Host Configuration (tsconfig.msc), set the Licensing mode to Per User and Specify your RD Licensing server name (itself).  If you want you may configure these two settings via group policy setting instead.  The path of the group policy settings is Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Licensing

4. You may point other RDSH servers to your RD Licensing server using RD Session Host Configuration or via group policy as mentioned above.

5. Optionally you may consider installing other Remote Desktop Role Services such as RD Gateway, RD Web Access, RD Connection Broker, etc.

-TP

Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:24 AM

All replies

• Here is a tech note about remote desktop licensing

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725933.aspx

You need to create and activate a license server. When you have done that, you can add the 20 users CAL to the licensing server.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:18 AM
  • Hi,

1. Install Remote Desktop Session Host and Remote Desktop Licensing Role Services using Server Manager.

2. Open RD Licensing Manager (licmgr.exe), Activate your server, then install your license

3. In RD Session Host Configuration (tsconfig.msc), set the Licensing mode to Per User and Specify your RD Licensing server name (itself).  If you want you may configure these two settings via group policy setting instead.  The path of the group policy settings is Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Licensing

4. You may point other RDSH servers to your RD Licensing server using RD Session Host Configuration or via group policy as mentioned above.

5. Optionally you may consider installing other Remote Desktop Role Services such as RD Gateway, RD Web Access, RD Connection Broker, etc.

-TP

Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:24 AM
  • Hi Kailas,

Do you need any other assistance?

Thanks,
    Dharmesh
    Friday, March 21, 2014 1:14 PM