none
Hyper-V Writer in Failed State/Event 10104 logged RRS feed

• General discussion

• I recently added the Hyper-V role to a W2K8 Std SP2 x64 server and since that time I've not been able to get SystemState backups in DPM.  I also have found that SystemState backups using the wbadmin command fail as well.  The output from wbadmin follows:

Summary of backup:
    ------------------

Backup of system state failed [9/30/2009 9:57 AM]

Log of files successfully backed up
    'C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\SystemStateBackup 30-09-2009 09-53-12.log'

Log of files for which backup failed
    'C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\SystemStateBackup_Error 30-09-2009 09-53-12.log'

Failure in a Volume Shadow Copy Service operation.

ERROR - Volume Shadow Copy Service operation error (0x800423f3)
    The writer experienced a transient error.  If the backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur.

The Hyper-V event log on the host contains the following error multiple times:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS
    Date:          9/30/2009 8:41:30 AM
    Event ID:      10104
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      servername.mydomain.com
    Description:
    Failed to revert to VSS snapshot on one or more virtual hard disks of the virtual machine '%1'. (Virtual machine ID %2)

The "vssadmin list writers" command shows the Hyper-V writer in the Failed state with the last error being "Retryable error".

I am familiar with http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959962, but do not believe it applies as SP2 is on this system.  Restarting the system doesn't help.  I am able to get the SystemState backup to work if I shut down the Hyper-V guest.  I am not trying to backup the Hyper-V guest in DPM.  The guest is running W2K8 Std SP2 x86.

Does anyone have any ideas to solve this?

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,
         Please read VSS and SPP event logs to understand what is causing shadow copy operation error.  I recommend you to go through following article on how to debug such issues.

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/archive/2009/09/16/diagnosing-failures-in-windows-server-backup-part-1-vss-spp-errors.aspx

Please let me know your findings.
    Thanks, Madan Mohan[MSFT] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:40 AM
  • I had already done most of those items when I originally created the thread.  There are no VSS/SPP events in either the host or guest system.  The only events are the 10104 event listed in my original posting and the 521 Backup event:

Backup started at '10/5/2009 6:04:36 PM' failed as Volume Shadow copy operation failed for backup volumes with following error code '2155348129'. Please rerun backup once issue is resolved.

There are no events in the guest system.

Monday, October 5, 2009 6:20 PM
  • can you please get the vshadow.exe -wm2 output?

vshadow.exe tool is not inbox. you will need to download vss sdk where this tool can be found.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0B4F56E4-0CCC-4626-826A-ED2C4C95C871&displaylang=en

------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Sushil, I have the information. Because of its length, I assume you want it e-mailed?  Can you provide an e-mail address?

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:08 PM
  • EMAIL GONE (remove -nospam from the alias)
    ------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:51 AM
  • sbaid_at_microsoft.com translate _at_ to @
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:52 AM