none
cluster manager 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, is posible manage cluster 2016 from server 2012? I am IT profesional for few small customers and vist every day another klients. Therefore in not my computer in domain and need manage cluster in place or remotely. Cluster is maked from two free hyperv server 2016 without gui. I have in cluser two hyperv 2012 server (DC and CRM server) and seprately 2012 R2 secondary DC.  I dont find upgrade version Cluster manager for server edition 2012, only for Windows desktop edition.
    Saturday, April 14, 2018 9:41 AM

Answers

• Hey,

This is true, you only have the version of the Windows Server administration tools present that is the same as the Windows Server version you use.
    You cannot update this.

This is because in Windows Server this is a 'role', where in the client version of Windows this is an additional package of applications (this must be separately downloaded and installed).

In answer to your question: you can manage it, but only the functionalities that were present in Hyper-v 2012 R2.
    However, you can also still use your local computer to connect to the Hyper-V cluster, even without being linked to the domain.
    More information can be found here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/manage/remotely-manage-hyper-v-hosts

• Proposed as answer by AntoonBouw Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:09 AM
    • Edited by AntoonBouw Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by mdvorak72 Monday, April 16, 2018 12:06 PM
    Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hey,

This is true, you only have the version of the Windows Server administration tools present that is the same as the Windows Server version you use.
    You cannot update this.

This is because in Windows Server this is a 'role', where in the client version of Windows this is an additional package of applications (this must be separately downloaded and installed).

In answer to your question: you can manage it, but only the functionalities that were present in Hyper-v 2012 R2.
    However, you can also still use your local computer to connect to the Hyper-V cluster, even without being linked to the domain.
    More information can be found here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/manage/remotely-manage-hyper-v-hosts

• Proposed as answer by AntoonBouw Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:09 AM
    • Edited by AntoonBouw Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by mdvorak72 Monday, April 16, 2018 12:06 PM
    Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:05 AM
  • Here is Microsoft's documentation on managing different versions.  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/manage/remotely-manage-hyper-v-hosts

Downlevel management is generally a supported capability because a newer version can understand the management APIs for the previous versions.  It is pretty difficult for an older version to understand the new APIs presented by the newer version.

tim

Saturday, April 14, 2018 12:50 PM