none
Unable to mount the File cluster resource shares ( Windows 2016 Cluster) on AIX systems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have been trying to upgrade file cluster from windows 2008R2 to 2016. I decided to build new cluster in 2016 and do storage remapping from old cluster to new cluster which i was successful. I have a file cluster resource name (Test-Batch) created on 2016 cluster. We have some AIX systems which needs to mount this shares. In my old 2008R2 cluster , it worked very fine. When i use 2016 cluster. the AIX systems couldn't mount the file shares like they can mount till \\test-batch\ but not beyond that. Meaning i have couple of shares under  \\test-batch\ lest say T1,T2..T10. The AIX systems can mount till \\test-batch\ but not \\test-batch\t1 , \\test-batch\t2 ..etc. I have checked all the permissions and everything was perfect working. 

I have also noticed like if i do telnet to my resource name over port 139 it works for 2008R2 cluster but not for my 2016 cluster. AIX team could mount the file share using samba client for 2016 cluster. It works because samba uses port 445 for file share. But for windows it uses 139 as this is not working AIX team says. we need to fix it. Im completely clueless who to fix that. 

Port 139 is opened on the new 2016 nodes and works, it doesnt just work for the file cluster resource name. 

Even i changed the SMB version usage on 2016 to use smb1.0 still it didnt work. 

Any suggestions please how to fix this.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Any events shown in the cluster events about the clustered file server?

Any error message in the event viewer regarding SMB in the nodes?

Event Viewer > Applications and Services > Microsoft > Windows > SMBServer

Event Viewer > Applications and Services > Microsoft > Windows > SMBClient

Can you PING the new clustered file server's IP from the clients?

Please also check the network connectivity between nodes and storage, and physical network locally.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, August 23, 2019 9:59 AM
  • Thanks Michael

Any events shown in the cluster events about the clustered file server?     - No errors

Any error message in the event viewer regarding SMB in the nodes?         

Under SMB Server - Operational , i see below error

"CA failure - Failed to set continuously available property on a new or existing file share as Resume Key filter is not started or has failed to attach to the underlying volume."

Under SMB Server -Security log 

"

User Name: 
    Session ID: 0x800
    Status: The attempted logon is invalid. This is either due to a bad username or authentication information. (0xC000006D)
    SPN: session setup failed before the SPN could be queried
    SPN Validation Policy: SPN optional / no validation

Guidance:

You should expect this error when attempting to connect to shares using incorrect credentials.

This error does not always indicate a problem with authorization, but mainly authentication. It is more common with non-Windows clients.

This error can occur when using incorrect usernames and passwords with NTLM, mismatched LmCompatibility settings between client and server, an incorrect service principal name, duplicate Kerberos service principal names, incorrect Kerberos ticket-granting service tickets, or Guest accounts without Guest access enabled"

And with respect to network everything is working. 

Monday, August 26, 2019 10:54 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your detailed information.

About this error, please check this blog to see if it can find the solution to address this issue.

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2012/09/28/continuously-available-file-shares-in-dont-support-short-file-names-the-request-is-not-supported-ca-failure-failed-to-set-continuously-available-property-on-a-new-o/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thursday, August 29, 2019 9:39 AM
  • Hi Michael 

I have already done this But still we fail in mounting the shares on the AIX systems. 

Thursday, August 29, 2019 10:24 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

For now, I still couldn't find any clue, I'm afraid you might need to contact  Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) so that a dedicated Support Professional can help you on this issue.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/worldwide.aspx

Appreciate your support and understanding.

Best regards,

Michael

Friday, August 30, 2019 8:55 AM