none
After patching server down RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows server2012 R2 running SQL services on it. After the windows patching server is unable to boot. What I should try first to fix the problem ?

Shall I use reboot as Safe Mode then uninstall patches

or

Shall I reboot as LKGC

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you boot into Safe mode? are there any messages in screen when you cannot boot up? 

If the boot issue occurs after installing updates, we can boot into WinRE:

1. In X:\sources\recovery\ run startrep.exe 

2. Get all the packages in the system by input below command. Note: please replace C with the system drive 

DISM /Image:C:\ /Get-Packages > packages.txt

3. Check if packages.txt has some pending packages in the OS by searching “pending” in the txt file.  If it does, run below command:

DISM /Image:C:\ /clean-image /revertpendingactions

4. Remove the pending packages

DISM /Image:C:\ /Remove-Package /PackageName:<Package Identify you got from the text> 

For your reference: 

How Do I Fix Windows 10 Not Booting after Update with 8 Solutions

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 7:29 AM

All replies

• After the windows patching server is unable to boot. 

What happens when you try? Safe Mode is successful? LKG is generally for drivers and service issues.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:20 PM
  • Thanks Dave for your reply but if I'm not sure what are the patches installed in the server and purpose of those patches whether it's for drive or MS services or security patches, then what will be the exact process to fix this problem?

If I reboot with LKGC, is there any chance to miss or corrupt SQL service or database?

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

Can you boot into Safe mode? are there any messages in screen when you cannot boot up? 

If the boot issue occurs after installing updates, we can boot into WinRE:

1. In X:\sources\recovery\ run startrep.exe 

2. Get all the packages in the system by input below command. Note: please replace C with the system drive 

DISM /Image:C:\ /Get-Packages > packages.txt

3. Check if packages.txt has some pending packages in the OS by searching “pending” in the txt file.  If it does, run below command:

DISM /Image:C:\ /clean-image /revertpendingactions

4. Remove the pending packages

DISM /Image:C:\ /Remove-Package /PackageName:<Package Identify you got from the text> 

For your reference: 

How Do I Fix Windows 10 Not Booting after Update with 8 Solutions

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 7:29 AM
  • Thanks Dave for your reply but if I'm not sure what are the patches installed in the server and purpose of those patches whether it's for drive or MS services or security patches, then what will be the exact process to fix this problem?

If I reboot with LKGC, is there any chance to miss or corrupt SQL service or database?

What happens when you try? Is Safe Mode is successful?

LKG is generally for drivers and service issues and unlikely to impact windows updates.

I doubt LKG would affect SQL Server either but you can ask here to confirm.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?category=sqlserver

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 12:23 PM
  • Nice information Yilia, Thanks :)
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:40 PM