none
2008 R2 Jobs stay as "Sent to Printer" if Creator Owner rights removed.

Question

• We are experiencing a problem on Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with print jobs staying in the queue with a "Sent to Printer" status after they have been printed.

I have found two threads that describe a similar problem here and here but neither offers a solution applicable to this case.

I have also noticed that if the spooler is restarted with jobs in the "Sent To Printer" state they print a second time and clear from the queue. However, future jobs submitted still experience the same problem of not clearing.

I have tested this and it occurs on a HP 4050N (using MS provided drivers), a Samsung CLP-550 and a Fuji-Xerox AP-II 4000, printing from both Windows XP and Windows 7.

I have tracked the issue to occurring when the user printing does not have the "Manage Documents" rights to their print jobs. By default users get this right through the Creator Owner security settings for their own jobs, however print monitoring software such as Papercut requires you to remove this so users can not un-pause their own jobs. In previous versions of windows even with this right removed the jobs would still delete when printed. It appears in Server 2008 R2 the print server will not delete the job when printed if the user does not have "Manage Documents" right.

Can anyone suggest a solution to correctly delete jobs when printed, but not give users the Creator Owner so they can not bypass the print auditing software?

Monday, July 26, 2010 1:54 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I came across this post while looking for a solution for the same problem, however the Creator Owner solution did not help me. I found a different way of dealing with the symptoms of print jobs printing to the device, but not clearing from the print server queue, so I decided to post it here, in case it is helpful to someone like me... :)

My environment is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit print server and a Sharp MX-M503N Printer/Copier/Scanner device. When I initally installed the printer it seems Windows installed it on a WSD Port, instead of a TCP/IP port that I would have expected. I did not notice that for a while, but it seems creating a TCP/IP port and switching the printer to that one, instead of the WSD port fixed my issue.

Hope this helps someone. :)

Nayden
    • Proposed as answer by MTWiley Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RuddJ Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by RuddJ Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:17 PM
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Hi Miles,

I have been investigating it further and tracked it down to the Driver Isolation setting. If I set Driver Isolation to None it prints and then clears for everyone, but if I set it to Shared or Isolated then only users with "Manage Documents" can print and have it clear. If a user without "Manage Documents" prints and the driver used has Isolation then it stays in the queue as "Sent to Printer".

I'm not sure if this is a bug related to the driver or a bug in Server 2008 R2, that when Driver Isolation is enabled it will not delete the print job after printing.

Thanks,
    James

• Edited by RuddJ Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:52 PM Added detail
    • Proposed as answer by jj_worthy Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by RuddJ Monday, August 02, 2010 2:19 AM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:51 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Miles. The problem is definitely directly tied to "Manage Documents" rights.

I can set it up with the default security, send a print job and it works fine. Job is deleted from queue as soon as it is printed. As soon as I remove the Creator Owner from security, or untick the "Manage Documents" for creator owner, then when that same user prints the job stays as "Sent to Printer".

I have also tested at the same time with a separate account that does have "Manage Documents" through group membership. This account prints and clears, while the one without it prints then stays as Sent to Printer.

This occurs on different brands and models of printers so is not driver related. The only change made is modifying security settings.

Thanks,
      James

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:49 PM
  • The 2008 R2 fix has now been released

Print job status remains as "Sent to printer" when Isolated mode is set in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2906850

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

• Edited by Alan MorrisEditor Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by RuddJ Monday, December 16, 2013 3:18 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:50 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Please check if the problematic printer supports bidirectional communication. The queue is waiting for confirmation from the printer that the job is complete. Most printers do not have the ability to send the confirmation.

In this case, please uncheck "Enable bidirectional support" item in the Ports tab of problematic printers for test.

Meanwhile, I am wondering if this issue will occur on these problematic printers if the creator owner have the "Manage Documents" rights.

Thanks,

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:49 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Miles. The problem is definitely directly tied to "Manage Documents" rights.

I can set it up with the default security, send a print job and it works fine. Job is deleted from queue as soon as it is printed. As soon as I remove the Creator Owner from security, or untick the "Manage Documents" for creator owner, then when that same user prints the job stays as "Sent to Printer".

I have also tested at the same time with a separate account that does have "Manage Documents" through group membership. This account prints and clears, while the one without it prints then stays as Sent to Printer.

This occurs on different brands and models of printers so is not driver related. The only change made is modifying security settings.

Thanks,
      James

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Hi Miles,

I have been investigating it further and tracked it down to the Driver Isolation setting. If I set Driver Isolation to None it prints and then clears for everyone, but if I set it to Shared or Isolated then only users with "Manage Documents" can print and have it clear. If a user without "Manage Documents" prints and the driver used has Isolation then it stays in the queue as "Sent to Printer".

I'm not sure if this is a bug related to the driver or a bug in Server 2008 R2, that when Driver Isolation is enabled it will not delete the print job after printing.

Thanks,
    James

• Edited by RuddJ Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:52 PM Added detail
    • Proposed as answer by jj_worthy Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by RuddJ Monday, August 02, 2010 2:19 AM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:51 PM
  • RuddJ,

I'm currently experiencing the same issue as you are. Some of my printers installed with "Driver Isolation" set to "Shared" by default, and others installed set to "None" by default. The printers set to "none" have the jobs cleared, and the one with "Shared" stay in queue with the status, "Sent to Printer".

I tested your solution and found it work on my system.

Thanks,

Jon

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Hi Jon,

I'm glad it helped identify the problem and provided a work around. I'm just hoping someone can offer a solution that allows the use of Driver Isolation as well as not requiring Manage Documents.

Driver Isolation looks like a great feature that can prevent the spooler from crashing when someone submits a dodgy print job, but without the queue clearing properly it causes more problems than it fixes.

Thanks,

James

Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:52 AM
  • Hi James,

Thanks for your efforts on this issue.

Please understand that the print processors and print driver components for each isolated driver are loaded into a separate PrintIsolationHost.exe process.  Within the spoolsv.exe process and all PrintIsolationHost.exe processes, there is a new DLL, PrintIsolationProxy.dll that proxies the calls for specific printers between the processes. In other words, the SetJob Function may not work the same way as the normal printing job.

I will contact the relevant group to check the relevant information and get back to you later.

Thanks,

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:48 AM
  • I will contact the relevant group to check the relevant information and get back to you later.

Thanks Miles. I look forward to finding out if this is the expected behaviour or a bug in the Isolation implementation.

Thank you for your help,

James

Monday, August 02, 2010 2:21 AM
  • Hi James, Miles,

I would be very interested to hear this outcome of this. Our Government agency has 3000 plus print queues spread across 5 Server 2008R2 virtual print servers.

Two printers: Ricoh Aficio SP C210SF Printer v1.0 and  Ricoh SP 5100N PS v1.4 both build up many jobs with status Sent to Printer and periodically reprint the jobs - must be when the spooler service is restarted. Neither is using Bidrectional printing, one port has SNMP enabled the other not and Keep Printed Documents is Off.

All drivers are set to Shared Driver Isolation. Other printers are using these drivers on the same servers and do not have the problem but they not in heavy use.

Unfortunately these printers do not keep a job history (the larger Ricoh MFDs do) so I can't be sure - but I suspect that not all jobs are being retained.

Here's hoping a solution is found.

Chris

Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:00 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Just to check the printers having the problem have the Creator Owner security group removed? Do the ones that are OK have different security assigned?

Initially when testing the problem didn't occur because the test user was a member of a group with Manage Document rights, it was only when we tested with the more restrictive accounts that is occurred.

James

Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:05 AM
  • Hi James,

Yes you are quite correct!

One of our techs had applied restricted permissions by removing the default Everyone Print and Creator Owner Manage Documents rights and then granting Print rights to a Global Group only.

It's not obvious but I guess the Manage Documents right allows the spooler to remove the print job from the print queue.

I have also confirmed that restarting the Print Servers in our maintenance window on Wednesday night was the cause of the jobs reprinting.

Many thanks

Chris

Friday, August 27, 2010 8:24 AM
  • Is what I am getting from this you are turning off print driver isolation?  I can't re-add creator owner rights back because we use a print management software.  If I add that back the user will be able to go around this and just resume their job.
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 3:02 PM
  • Yes, the only way I could get the Jobs to be removed after printing was to turn of print driver isolation.
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Hello,

I came across this post while looking for a solution for the same problem, however the Creator Owner solution did not help me. I found a different way of dealing with the symptoms of print jobs printing to the device, but not clearing from the print server queue, so I decided to post it here, in case it is helpful to someone like me... :)

My environment is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit print server and a Sharp MX-M503N Printer/Copier/Scanner device. When I initally installed the printer it seems Windows installed it on a WSD Port, instead of a TCP/IP port that I would have expected. I did not notice that for a while, but it seems creating a TCP/IP port and switching the printer to that one, instead of the WSD port fixed my issue.

Hope this helps someone. :)

Nayden
    • Proposed as answer by MTWiley Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RuddJ Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by RuddJ Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:17 PM
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Hi Miles,

Did you have any luck getting a resolution of this issue from the relevant group?    A number of our customers are seeing this issue and are keen to have it resolved.    They want to lock the "manage documents" right, but also be able to take advantage of the driver isolation feature.

It's quite easy to reproduce this issue, so it would be good if Microsoft could confirm the issue and create a fix for this.

Any information you could provide would be fantastic.

Regards,

Matt

Sunday, January 23, 2011 11:28 PM
  • We are also experiencing this issue. Please provide an update.
    Friday, February 04, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Are you using the PaperCut software?  For now set the print driver isolation to None to retain the Server 2003/2008 behavior.  Please include any specific software if you are not using PaperCut.

If anyone opens a support case on this send me the number.

Friday, February 04, 2011 5:05 PM
    Answerer
  • How annoying. I've also had to turn off driver isolation on my new print server. We're using PaperCut.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 4:18 AM
  • Hi Miles,

I just wanted to check if you had heard anything back from the printing group regarding this problem?

Thanks,

James

Monday, January 23, 2012 4:54 AM
  • Miles no longer hangs out in this forum.   A customer who did call on this issue went with Isolation setting to None and never requested a HOTFIX. 

Normally HOTFIXes are not generated unless the issue comes through customer channels. 

This channel does count, but it's a totally different process.  Maybe one of the new moderators for this forum can pick this up.

Monday, January 23, 2012 10:04 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Nayden,

Hopefully this will help fix it for people with a similar config. The initial problem still occurs on TCP/IP ports if Creator Owner loses Manage Documents rights.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:17 PM
  • I noticed this problem today on a few of my Server 2008 R2 print servers.  Doesn't appear to be a problem on all of them, however.  As far as I can tell they are all identically configured.

Printers are all HP laserjets.  I'm using the HP UPD PCL5 and PS drivers (both v5.1 and v5.4) for all HP laserjets, there is no common issue where queues with a particular driver show jobs hanging around in "Sent to Printer" status.

Security tab on printers is fine, including "Creator/Owner = Manage Document" permissions.

Restarting the spooler doesn't resolve it.  Queues do not have "keep printed documents" checked.  All standard TCP/IP ports, the majority have SNMP status enabled (I have tried toggling it on and off to see if that changes anything, it does not).

Both x64 and x86 versions of the drivers are installed as there is a mix of WIN7 SP1 and WinXP clients printing, although in some offices it's 100% WIN7 or 100% XP machines.

Remaining Win2003 print servers (which handle only XP machines, and which generally speaking have duplicate queues as the 2008 R2 servers) have not been displaying this problem.

Anyone heard any further news on this issue or is it time for me to call MS 3rd tier?

• Proposed as answer by Jojo Abraham Monday, June 18, 2012 4:49 AM
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 11:42 PM
  • Hi All

Printer Driver ISOLATION to none help us to Resolve the Issue. Now Now Printed jobs are getting cleared from the queue.

Jojo

• Proposed as answer by Jojo Abraham Monday, June 18, 2012 4:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by RuddJ Monday, June 18, 2012 5:35 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 4:52 AM
  • We are having this problem. The ports are all standard TCP/IP. So the solution proposed by Nayden does not apply to us. :(
    Wednesday, January 02, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Thanks RuddJ for providing additional information.

I am not sure why this is marked as the solution. RuddJ clearly indicates he believes it is a bug in either the driver or Server 2008 R2. Saying it is probably a bug is not a solution. Likewise, the work-around of disabling the driver isolation features shouldn't be considered a soluiton. Having driver isolation is a desired feature and having to disable that feature to get printing to work correctly is not a solution.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 9:28 PM
  • Hello,

We have the exact issue except we use "Print Manger Plus" for print auditing, and we also moved Manage Documents from Owner/Creator group. 

What's odd is that the "Sent to Printer" only happens on the Color Laserjet queue (The driver is the 2008 R2 CP4005 PCL6).  The black and white laserjet are unaffected by removing Owner/Creator group.

We use only HP Laserjet and Color Laserjet.  The print drivers are native Windows 2008 R2 - we do not use HP drivers.  Bi-directional communication is turned off because we are in a Citrix environment and it is recommended we disable this feature.

The fix is to disable driver isolation through local group policy, which is not really a fix.  

I am hoping someone has a real fix.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 3:01 PM
  • MS_Moron......

Interesting you mention "Print Manager Plus".  We've been running this for several years on our 2003 Print servers and I've just recently installed it on our 2008 R2 Print Server.  I don't believe we were having these issues as regularly as we are since we installed it.  I'd been running the 2008R2 print server for about 6 months before installing this software without any issue (maybe the odd job here and there getting stuck).

We've got about 200 queues on this server. Our main drivers are HP Universal Print Driver PCL 5 and Xerox Global Print Driver PS, however we have several machine specific drivers as well.

All our ports are Standard TCP/IP Ports and permissions are out of the box.

At a quick glance, but I can't say for certain, it appears as though only the Xerox Global Print Driver PS driver is having the issue.

The printers that are currently having the issue as I type this are all LPR Ports with various combinations of SNMP Status Enabled. I do recall some oddball page counting issues with LPR ports and specific printers with Print Manager Plus years ago if that has any relevance?

Our workaround is to run a simple batch to restart the spooler / PMP services nightly and delete and .tmp hanging around in the spool folder. Some of which don't tidy themselves up and can fill the spool drive.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 4:58 AM
  • A support customer did request the fix that was included in Server 2012 to get backported to Server 2008 R2.  When the updated binaries are available, I'll post a link to the QFE.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:36 PM
    Answerer
  • We have been in this exact same boat since having implemented Papercut at our college. We opened a premier support case some time ago with Microsoft on this and have been pushing for a hotfix and, as mentioned above, they are working on it now.

As an interim solution, we have a script running as a scheduled task on our print server that polls WMI to collect each job's StatusMask. All those that match "Sent to printer" are deleted from the queue.

A word of warning for those using Papercut and considering this, be sure to check the autorefund policy you have set - if a job is deleted in this fashion (or presumably any fashion) in a time frame under that which is specified in your Papercut configuration, the job will be refunded automatically. Because of this, we run this script on a nightly basis during off hours.

Hope this helps others who are in this same boat in the interim - for us, turning off driver isolation simply was not an option as 95% of our printers are using HP's UPD. And, in the long term, hopefully multiple organizations can benefit from the push to get this backported into Server 2008R2 :)

Monday, November 18, 2013 10:33 PM
  • The 2008 R2 fix has now been released

Print job status remains as "Sent to printer" when Isolated mode is set in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2906850

• Edited by Alan MorrisEditor Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by RuddJ Monday, December 16, 2013 3:18 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Does anyone have experience with the hotfix. 

Does it solve the problem?
    What changes does it actually make?

I'm wanting to apply it but need to proceed with caution on a production box.

Lisa

UW-Madison

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:07 PM
  • I am using Windows 7/SP1.  I was having the same problem.  In fact, sometimes when the print jobs "hung up" hey would randomly print days later.  I finally found a solution.  I go to "Devices and Printers" and double-click my printer to see the print jobs.  If I see some that are in the "Sent to Printer" status, I right click them and select "Restart".  This works every time for me.
    Sunday, September 21, 2014 3:00 AM