Upgrade domain controller 2012r2 to server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I have to upgrade a domain controller running server 2012r2 to server 2016. My plan was to upgrade the domain controller from 2012r2 to 2016. Then, migrate the domain controller to a new physical server running server 2016. The new server is all ready to go. I have server 2016 installed, updated and licensed. One of the members of this forum suggested I follow this method.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/deploy/upgrade-domain-controllers#step-by-step-for-upgrading-to-windows-server-2016  

My question is, this method looks like I can do the domain controller upgrade to server 2016, and the migration at the same time. Am I correct about this? I have never done this before and I don't want to make a mistake. I'm sure their are many things that can go wrong.

Thank you.

Monday, July 6, 2020 3:34 PM

Answers

• Do not in-place upgrade it.

The prerequisite before introducing the first 2016 domain controller: domain functional level needs to be 2003 or higher

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then stand up the new 2016, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.

Also at some point after I'd recommend migrating sysvol replication from older FRS technology to DFSR
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Streamlined-Migration-of-FRS-to-DFSR-SYSVOL/ba-p/425405

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Acenyc59 Monday, July 6, 2020 4:32 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2020 3:51 PM
  • You can follow along here to raise functional levels but its not a requirement to do so as long as DFL is currently 2003 or higher.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322692/how-to-raise-active-directory-domain-and-forest-functional-levels

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 6, 2020 4:06 PM
  • Yes you can but in-place is not recommended. 

• Marked as answer by Acenyc59 Monday, July 6, 2020 5:21 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2020 5:06 PM

All replies

• Do not in-place upgrade it.

The prerequisite before introducing the first 2016 domain controller: domain functional level needs to be 2003 or higher

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then stand up the new 2016, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.

Also at some point after I'd recommend migrating sysvol replication from older FRS technology to DFSR
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Streamlined-Migration-of-FRS-to-DFSR-SYSVOL/ba-p/425405

• Marked as answer by Acenyc59 Monday, July 6, 2020 4:32 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2020 3:51 PM
  • Thank you for the help. Are you saying do not do the upgrade/migration with the method in this guide:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/deploy/upgrade-domain-controllers#step-by-step-for-upgrading-to-windows-server-2016 

If I use your method, how do I configure the domain functional levels? I am upgrading from server 2012r2 to server 2016.Thank you.

Monday, July 6, 2020 4:03 PM
  • You can follow along here to raise functional levels but its not a requirement to do so as long as DFL is currently 2003 or higher.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322692/how-to-raise-active-directory-domain-and-forest-functional-levels

Monday, July 6, 2020 4:06 PM
  • My old domain controller running 2012r2 is forest and domain functional level 2012r2. So I can upgrade to server 2016.

Thank you again.

Monday, July 6, 2020 4:58 PM
  • Yes you can but in-place is not recommended. 

• Marked as answer by Acenyc59 Monday, July 6, 2020 5:21 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2020 5:06 PM
  • Please forgive me for my ignorance, but what do you mean by, "in place"?

Thank you.

Monday, July 6, 2020 5:22 PM
  • No problem, an in-place upgrade takes place when you run setup.exe from within windows as opposed to clean install where the disk is repartitioned / formatted.

Monday, July 6, 2020 5:52 PM