none
Windows 7/XP users need to install the printer driver frequently from Windows Server 2003 32 bit operating system

General discussion

• Hi,

I have many Windows 7 and Windows XP users that needs to install the printer driver when they want to print from a network printer from Windows Server 2003 SP2 server. This happens frequently althought the print queue is established before. The error is as follows.

Error Message: "Do you trust this printer?   Windows needs to download and install a software driver from the \\servername  computer to print to PRINTERNAME. Proceed only if you trust the \\servername computer and the network, and then restart the print job."

Please let me know how to fix this issue.

Thank you,

Nikki.

Nilakshi S. Batuwitage
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:40 PM

All replies

• If the server is 2003 cluster, I'd expect this.  I've seen this issue with some older Xerox drivers that update a config file on the server that the client spooler downloads from the server.

You can change the Point and Print restrictions policies so the client will just copy the driver without the prompt or you can use package aware drivers from the print vendor so you will not be prompted on Windows 7.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Alan,

We do not have a cluster. This happens on HP, RICOH, CANON printers. Do you think changing the Point and Print restrictions policies will work for us?

Thank you,

Nikki.

Nilakshi S. Batuwitage
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Yes.   If you have more than 50 clients be sure to set this up in a common GPO that all machines read.

If you do not have a Server 2008 R2 machine to edit the GPO, you will need the AD tools for Windows 7 so you can see the computer policy to edit.

Computer / Administrative Templates / Printers / Point and Print Restrictions  for Vista and Windows 7

User / Administrative Templates / Control Panel / Printers / Point and Print Restrictions  for XP

Default configuration is not configured so I would expect the XP machines not to display a prompt unless the print server is in a different forest than the client machines.

This policy setting controls the client Point and Print behavior, including the security prompts for Windows Vista computers. The policy setting applies only to non-Print Administrator clients, and only to computers that are members of a domain.

When the policy setting is enabled:
    -Windows XP and later clients will only download print driver components from a list of explicitly named servers. If a compatible print driver is available on the client, a printer connection will be made. If a compatible print driver is not available on the client, no connection will be made.
    -You can configure Windows Vista clients so that security warnings and elevated command prompts do not appear when users Point and Print, or when printer connection drivers need to be updated.

When the policy setting is not configured:
    -Windows Vista client computers can point and print to any server.
    -Windows Vista computers will show a warning and an elevated command prompt when users create a printer connection to any server using Point and Print.
    -Windows Vista computers will show a warning and an elevated command prompt when an existing printer connection driver needs to be updated.
    -Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP client computers can create a printer connection to any server in their forest using Point and Print.

When the policy setting is disabled:
    -Windows Vista client computers can create a printer connection to any server using Point and Print.
    -Windows Vista computers will not show a warning or an elevated command prompt when users create a printer connection to any server using Point and Print.
    -Windows Vista computers will not show a warning or an elevated command prompt when an existing printer connection driver needs to be updated.
    -Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP client computers can create a printer connection to any server using Point and Print.
    -The "Users can only point and print to computers in their forest" setting applies only to Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP SP1 (and later service packs).

Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Alan,

I have a Windows Server 2003 SP2 server with 32 bit operating system (No cluster) and when Windows 7/XP 32 bit users print to this server, the users get the following error.

Error Message: "Do you trust this printer?   Windows needs to download and install a software driver from the \\servername  computer to print to PRINTERNAME. Proceed only if you trust the \\servername computer and the network, and then restart the print job."

This happens even if the print queue is established already and it happens only to 32 bit operating systems clients only(Windows 7/XP).

Alan, will the above fix work for my situation?

Thank You,

Nikki.

Nilakshi S. Batuwitage
    Friday, January 14, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Hi Nikki,

Thanks for the post.

I think the solution provided by Alan can fix this issue. Please take the time to try on it.

Please feel free to let us know if there is any update on this issue.

Thanks,

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:49 AM
  • Hi,

The solution provided by Alan did not fix the issue as it came back. It is a RICOH scanner/copier. Please let me know of any other solution. The users has to keep installing the driver over and over again.

Thank you,

Nikki.

Nilakshi S. Batuwitage
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:35 PM
  • Hi,

I noticed that there are two drivers on the server for the same printer, this is a RICOH printer, and one printer driver is from RICOH and the other driver is a universal driver. Could this be an issue as it asks to install the driver although it is already installed?

Thank you,

Nikki.

Nilakshi S. Batuwitage
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Hi Nikki03,

I am having a similar issue.  I have a Win 2008 x64 print server.  I installed mostly HP printers on it but do have a few Ricoh printers.  All my HP devices print fine from WinXP and Win 7 x64 computers.  However I run into a similar problem with the Ricoh devices.  I am able to add the Ricoh driver to the print server no problem, but when I try to add the printer to a computer as a NON admin, I get the prompt to install driver.  However, the driver install fails as my users are not admin.  We can get around this easy by logging into the computer as an admin, installing the printer, and then having the user log back in and install the printer.  I am curious as to why the Ricoh's prompt for the driver install and all our HP printers do not.  

I am wondering if the Ricoh driver is trying to install more than DLLs?  That is the only thing I can think of.  On a side note, I had tried almost all print drivers Ricoh offers, and all of them have this behavior.  

David 

Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:38 PM
  • The print drivers from Ricoh are not package aware.  If you are using the Ricoh drivers that are included with 2008 R2, the users will not be prompted during driver installation.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:02 PM
    Answerer
  • What do you mean by "package aware"?
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Basically when printmanagement.msc lists them as Packaged = true.  Any of the print drivers included with Windows since Vista can only be packaged aware drivers.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2008/02/12/ws2008-printer-driver-packages.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/05/04/windows-vista-point-print.aspx

Friday, February 25, 2011 12:30 AM
    Answerer
  • So do we have a solution for this? We are having the same issue with new HP workstations and laptops, using Windows 7 and a RICOH Aficio MP using the C5000 PCL 5c driver..

All machines are fully patched, and the File and print is 2003 server - fully patched.

First print job of the day we get

'Error Message: "Do you trust this printer? Windows needs to download and install a software driver from the\\servername computer to print to PRINTERNAME. Proceed only if you trust the\\servername computer and the network, and then restart the print job."

Even with the tick 'dont show this again', it does.

Ideas?

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

We're just going through a print driver migration program and came across this issue with our Windows 7 users.  We're running Server 3003 SP2 and when a 'clean' build, i.e. with the print driver having not already been installed previously, the "Do you trust this printer" dialogue box appeared, and the install failed due to insufficient privialiges.

The reason we were so confused is because we have a couple of Server 2008 print servers set up as we're also going to be doing a Print Server upgrade early next year.  It seems that teh issue doesn't exist when pulling drivers from a Server 2008 box, and once the client machine has done that it will then also happily pull drivers, without receiving the "Do you trust this printer" prompt, from a Server 2003 box because the drivers are already on the machine.

We resolved the issue by updating the GPO as per the update by Alan Morris.  We updated the default domain computer policy to have the "Point and Print Restrictions" set to "Enabled" with the option "Users can only Point and Print to machines in their forest" checked.  We also changed both the Security promt options to "Do not show warning or elevation prompt" but to be honest, we tested with these options left blank, as well as changing them to prompt the warnings but the behaviour was exactly the same for all = the standard user saw no prompts, and the driver installed fine as it had previously in XP (which is exactly what we wanted).

One 'interesting' point was that the user based policy setting has no effect what-so-ever even though it appears to be identical to the comuter policy.  The subtle difference is that the computer policy states "Supported on: At least Windows Vista" and the user policy states "Supported on: Supported Windows XP SP1 through Windows Server 2008 RTM".

I would advise that Alan's reply above is marked as the correct answer.

HTH,

Tim.

• Edited by Mace_y2k Monday, October 24, 2011 10:36 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 10:24 AM
  • Hi Alan,

Would this also solve our similar issue/

Server 2003 sp2

Ricoh printers/scanner/copiers

drivers install fine on our xp machines

however the win 7 computers on logging on get the error "operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709). double check the printer name and make sure that the printer is connected to the network"

Monday, November 21, 2011 11:33 AM
  • You get this error during Logon or when adding the printer connections?

The driver will not be installed on the Windows 7 clients without user interaction if you have not configured the Computer Point and Print restrictions policy.

If you get this error when searching in the domain for printers, make sure the clients can actually reach the print server.  Start / Run /  \\printservername

This will open an explorer window displaying the list of shares on the machine.

If the clients cannot open the remote printserver, check client DNS settings.

Monday, November 21, 2011 9:08 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I would like to refresh problem.

I have WinXP installed with shared printers (for some reasons I cannot setup 2003/2008 server) and I would like to add preinstalled drivers for Win7 x64. I understand all issues with adding drivers for different OSes, but I stuck with adding Win7 (does not matter x86 or x64) driver for automatic installation of drivers for Win7. There is no Intel envronment Windows 7 version on "Additional drivers" dialog :(

Is it possible somehow to add it?

Right now users have to use "connect..." option for installing printers on Win7 and then when they are informed that there is not preinstalled drivers on server they have to use "Use disk" option for pointing drivers and I would like to avoid this. It would be perfect if drivers would be installed automatically as they are installed on WinXP OSes.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 11:50 AM
  • There is no way to add the word "Intel".  X86 is the same thing
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 4:44 PM
    Answerer
  • I am also experiencing similar issue's, the Printer is installed on the machines, they have Local Admin rights. The Print Server is 2008R2, the machines are Windows 7, the initial install goes through fine.

The strange thing is, every couple of days the printer will pop up asking you to update the driver, yet nothing has changed. The drivers can then be OK for a couple of days before seeing this again.

You get an "Do you trust this printer" message, you click install and it installs fine. The question is, how do i stop the prompt appearing every couple of days? This is effecting around 200 users.

Thanks,

Grant

Friday, January 04, 2013 4:34 PM
  • I still have this issue as well.
    Never found a solution to it, the users just have to suck it up.
    Monday, May 20, 2013 1:07 AM