none
Could not log onto the domain with the specified credential. Supply a valid credential and try again. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I'm getting an error when I promote a server "Could not log onto the domain with the specified credential. Supply a valid credential and try again." I just recently demoted the server, uninstalled and re-installed AD DS and now promoting it again. I'm doing this because we are  having an issue with our imaged desktops, when running nslookup it points to another server with a different subnet.  

Thank you in advance for your help.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm getting an error when I promote a server "Could not log onto the domain with the specified credential. Supply a valid credential and try again."

Regarding this error message, please change the credentials to a domain admin’s as in domain\administrator format.

If you want to promote the server using the same name and IP address as before, please refer to Ace Fekay’s blog below for recommended procedures:

Remove an Old DC and Introduce a New DC with the Same Name and IP Address

http://blogs.msmvps.com/acefekay/2010/10/09/remove-an-old-dc-and-introduce-a-new-dc-with-the-same-name-and-ip-address/

I'm doing this because we are having an issue with our imaged desktops, when running nslookup it points to another server with a different subnet.  

I would you suggest you resolve the DNS issue first.

Is the DC the only one in the domain? If yes, point to itself as DNS server then start to promote; if not, point to a healthy DC in the domain before promotion.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 19, 2015 6:52 AM

All replies

• Sounds like a DNS issue can you ping a DC? did your remove this machine as a DC from the domain? Unless you really have to can you try to rename the server to a different name, you may have some leftover referances to it in domain.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 1:06 PM
  • Here are some good links-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818088

Troubleshooting Domain Controller Deployment

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj592690.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Aditi Satam Tuesday, January 13, 2015 8:05 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

I'm getting an error when I promote a server "Could not log onto the domain with the specified credential. Supply a valid credential and try again."

Regarding this error message, please change the credentials to a domain admin’s as in domain\administrator format.

If you want to promote the server using the same name and IP address as before, please refer to Ace Fekay’s blog below for recommended procedures:

Remove an Old DC and Introduce a New DC with the Same Name and IP Address

http://blogs.msmvps.com/acefekay/2010/10/09/remove-an-old-dc-and-introduce-a-new-dc-with-the-same-name-and-ip-address/

I'm doing this because we are having an issue with our imaged desktops, when running nslookup it points to another server with a different subnet.  

I would you suggest you resolve the DNS issue first.

Is the DC the only one in the domain? If yes, point to itself as DNS server then start to promote; if not, point to a healthy DC in the domain before promotion.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 19, 2015 6:52 AM
  • Domain admin credential is not enough for the promotion. I encountered the same problem with a domain admin credential. But it works when using DOMAIN\Administrator credential, which is a member of Enterprise Admins.

• Proposed as answer by N. Parikh Thursday, October 6, 2016 9:38 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:53 PM
  • Thanks this suggestion helped me.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 4:52 AM
  • Domain admin credential is not enough for the promotion. I encountered the same problem with a domain admin credential. But it works when using DOMAIN\Administrator credential, which is a member of Enterprise Admins.

How did you log in with DOMAIN\Administrator?  I never set that password and of course the ADMIN account does not have rights to change it.
    Sunday, December 18, 2016 8:39 PM
  • Dear Amy Sir, "If yes, point to itself as DNS server then start to promote; if not, point to a healthy DC in the domain before promotion."

How to point out a single domain controller as a single DNS ? Cause I am facing this same issue. Our previous Domain controller is compromised by Ransomware. So I only point out the primary domain controller as single DNS and want to change or remote the secondary domain controller DNS.

Please help in this regards. 

Sunday, July 21, 2019 1:31 AM