Hyper-v Network Internal RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

In defining an Internal Network in Hyper-V, it says that the VM can communicate with other VMs and with the Physical Host.

However in the tests I did the VM can not ping the Physical Host, it only can ping if I change to External Network.

The definition also says that a VM configured with External network can not access the physical network.

Now the Host to be accessed in the physical network, as would the VM access configured with Internal Network, to the physical host, if I can not ping the physical host?

The firewall was disabled in both directions for testing and even then I can not ping the physical host, the VM being configured with Internal Network.

I also put the VM in the same physical host subnet

I wonder if I'm getting it wrong or is this normal?

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 1:54 PM

Answers

• Dave has pointed to a good article that will help you understand the types of virtual switches you can create and how they can be used.

"However in the tests I did the VM can not ping the Physical Host, it only can ping if I change to External Network."

To help us help you, you would need to provide the output from ipconfig /all from a VM and from the host so we could understand how you have configured your networks.  It could be a simple routing issue.

"The definition also says that a VM configured with External network can not access the physical network."

Could you please provide the location where you read this information?  That does not sound right at all, as one of the distinct purposes of an External Network is to access the physical network.

tim

• Marked as answer by Tiago_Aurelio Monday, March 11, 2019 6:01 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

In the definition for external network it says, VM can access the physical network. It means that the host also can connect to the physical network. If there are different VLANs for the physical and virtual machines that need to be configured in the switch configuration "Enable VLAN identifier for management operating system"

In internal also you can make use of this setting if the VLAN for your management operating system (host) is different from your VMs'

Regards,
    Bala

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 2:36 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 11, 2019 7:39 AM

All replies

• You can review the switch types here.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/jhoward/2008/06/17/hyper-v-what-are-the-uses-for-different-types-of-virtual-networks/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 2:10 PM
  • Dave has pointed to a good article that will help you understand the types of virtual switches you can create and how they can be used.

"However in the tests I did the VM can not ping the Physical Host, it only can ping if I change to External Network."

To help us help you, you would need to provide the output from ipconfig /all from a VM and from the host so we could understand how you have configured your networks.  It could be a simple routing issue.

"The definition also says that a VM configured with External network can not access the physical network."

Could you please provide the location where you read this information?  That does not sound right at all, as one of the distinct purposes of an External Network is to access the physical network.

tim

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

In the definition for external network it says, VM can access the physical network. It means that the host also can connect to the physical network. If there are different VLANs for the physical and virtual machines that need to be configured in the switch configuration "Enable VLAN identifier for management operating system"

In internal also you can make use of this setting if the VLAN for your management operating system (host) is different from your VMs'

Regards,
    Bala

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 2:36 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 11, 2019 7:39 AM