none
HyperV manager Mobile guide RRS feed

• Question

• The hyperV virtual machine management server was unable to establish a connection for the virtual machine migration because the correct protocol was not supported by the target host
    • Edited by bobQAQ Thursday, October 17, 2019 11:03 AM
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 10:35 AM

Answers

• On the Hyper-V hosts you specify a network for live migration.  I am not saying to reference the target by its IP address instead of its DNS name, I am saying to define a live migration network on the hosts.

It sounds like you are trying to perform live migrations outside of a cluster.  See if the following article helps you in configuring your environment for live migration - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/deploy/set-up-hosts-for-live-migration-without-failover-clustering

tim

• Marked as answer by bobQAQ Wednesday, October 23, 2019 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:59 PM

All replies

• Please provide more information about your configuration.  Software versions.  Hardware configuration of source and destination hosts.

tim

Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting in forum!

Please present us with more details: 1.the error information occur on the hyperV virtual machine management server 2.the OS version of the server and virtual machines 3. the name of the protocol that was not supported by the target host

By the way, these links present the requirements for setting up live migration and the steps of live migration and may be helpful.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/deploy/set-up-hosts-for-live-migration-without-failover-clustering#requirements-for-setting-up-live-migration

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/manage/use-live-migration-without-failover-clustering-to-move-a-virtual-machine

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Lily Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Friday, October 18, 2019 3:20 AM
  • Thank you very much Lily Yang, I've already learned this link.The setup of AD and domain controllers and Kerberos and constraint delegates are complete.I am not sure whether it is because my source host is Windows server 2016 and the target host is Windows server 2012 R2.The vm management service was unable to establish a connection for the virtual machine migration because the correct protocol version (protocol version 6.0) was not supported by the target host.I don't know what the protocol is, maybe Kerberos or something;When I was migrating again, I selected the target computer and saw the C disk of the target computer. This error message appeared when I finally moved it.

Best wishes,

Friday, October 18, 2019 8:17 AM
  • Thank you very much Tim cerling.My configuration source host of Windows Server 2016 and the target host of Windows Server 2012 R2 (error: virtual machine management service connection cannot be established virtual machine migration, because the target host does not support the correct protocol version (protocol) version 6.0), I want to try Suggestions in multiple system version [9] 2012 R2, 2016201 between smooth migration, I'd like to know if I can do it?Until now, I have successfully implemented a smooth migration between Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2016.
    Friday, October 18, 2019 8:21 AM
  • Have you designated a specific network to be used for live migrations or are you set up to use any network for live migration?  Try specifying a specific network for live migration.

tim

Friday, October 18, 2019 1:01 PM
  • I chose to use any network for live migration
    Monday, October 21, 2019 1:07 AM
  • Others have noted this error when allowing 'any network'.  Try using a specific network.

tim

Monday, October 21, 2019 2:57 PM
  • After I specified the specific IP address, it reported that the target host was not on the hyperV migration network.

The incoming real-time migration is set up to perform the real-time migration using any available network. It reports the error virtual machine management service connection cannot be established virtual machine migration,Because the target host does not support the correct protocol version (protocol) version 6.0

Thank you for youe reply.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 1:22 AM
  • On the Hyper-V hosts you specify a network for live migration.  I am not saying to reference the target by its IP address instead of its DNS name, I am saying to define a live migration network on the hosts.

It sounds like you are trying to perform live migrations outside of a cluster.  See if the following article helps you in configuring your environment for live migration - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/deploy/set-up-hosts-for-live-migration-without-failover-clustering

tim

• Marked as answer by bobQAQ Wednesday, October 23, 2019 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:59 PM
  •  Thanks you for your reminder!

I found the problem, the virtual machine version of the source host (Windows server 2016) is 8.0, the virtual machine version of the target host (Windows server 2012 R2) is 5.0, and Windows server 2012 R2 can only support the highest version of the virtual machine 5.0, so I created a virtual machine 5.0 in Windows server 2016 and migrated to Windows server 2012 R2 in real time

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 3:06 AM