none
Windows Update Error 800B0001 after update windows update agent to versione 7.6.7600.256

Question

• Sorry for my english: i'm italian.

I actually have a wsus installed on my network. Recently, i've installed the new windows update agent ver. 7.6.7600.256 on 2 windows 2008 r2 server. After this update, from those server it's impossible to connect on my WSUS and find new updates. Window update, immediately, shows the error message: "Code 800B0001: Windows Update: unknow error". All other server on my network (without windows agent updated) work fine.

Thank you in advance to all will help me.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:39 PM

Answers

• Hello,

i've resolved the issue installing WSUS-KB2720211-x64.exe on the wsus. Now all computers with new uptdated agent work normally.

Try it.

Monday, June 25, 2012 7:12 PM

All replies

• Same problem here: after installing 7.6.7600.256 on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1, getting "Code 800B0001  Windows Update encountered an unknow error"
    Monday, June 25, 2012 7:47 AM
  • Hello,

i've resolved the issue installing WSUS-KB2720211-x64.exe on the wsus. Now all computers with new uptdated agent work normally.

Try it.

Monday, June 25, 2012 7:12 PM
  • Hi there,

Before you go ahead and Install KB2720211, I strongly advice that you read http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2012/06/20/wsus-kb272011-common-issues-encountered-and-how-to-fix-them.aspx (WSUS KB2720211 : Common issues encountered and how to fix them)

there have been several issues with this patch causing major problems.

Monday, June 25, 2012 11:34 PM
  • Hi Diego,

I encountered the same issue. My WSUS 3.0 is  built on Windows server 2003.

Could you please help to check if you can uninstall KB2720211.

I worried if I install KB2720211 there will some unexpetec issue.

I have read this KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2720211

And I don't fully understad this sentence.

"

• After you install this update, Windows Update Agent (WUA) will be upgraded automatically."

My question is if members server's WUA will upgraded automatically or WSUS server's WUA?

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:19 AM
  • Hi all

I have same issue on new Windows 2008R2 , last updates were installed is: 21/06/2012.

any idea?

cheers,

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:33 AM
  • Has there been any fixes on this?

I have WSUS running on SBS2003 and this error has just hit my windows 7 machines.

any help would be much appretiated

Lee

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Hello,

i verified that the KB2720211 cannot be uninstalled.

Therefore, after the update,  the wsus has continued to work fine, without errors. All server in my lan correctly check new updates from wsus and the local windows update agent has been successfully upgraded automatically. So i solved the problem. The wsus is installed on a virtual esxi windows server 2008r2 and it doesn't use an internal db but a db on sql server 2012 (always virtualized on esxi). This is my two cents advice.....

Hello

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:33 PM
  • Diego,

Thank you very much. You are star.

I plan to back up my WSUS as an image, then install KB2720211.

Jerome

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:26 AM
  • HI Diego,

How long your clients takes to update to windows update agent ver. 7.6.7600.256 .

I did a test in my lab environment.

After I click "Check update" on my member server, It requires me to install the latest WUA.

after install the WUA, my client updated WUA

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:06 AM
  • Hi Jerome

Thank you very much for your comment, but i'm not a star!!!!! i'm a little employed at the university of Turin in Italy and i'm only a self-educated. I don't know how long the client take to automatically update. I think it depends of the default system schedule configurated on single server. I manually forced my member server to find the new upedate from wsus. As you show, after click check update, also my server has required to upgrade the wua.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:18 AM
  • Hi all

I have same issue on new Windows 2008R2 , last updates were installed is: 21/06/2012.

any idea?

cheers,

I have Win2008 R2 sp1.  Just applied updates 2 days ago and now the auto update is failing with Error code 800B0001.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Hi Diego,

Your solution worked for me.

Thank you again.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:13 AM
  • I noticed this same error today after I had manually applied updates to a new server (2008 R2).  I resolved by manually updating the WSUS server (2003).  After applying relevant updates to the WSUS server the client now connects correctly with no errors.

Cheers

Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:46 PM
  • I had the same problem with a Win7 64 user. My WSUS server is on 2008 R1 - after I installed KB2720211 the user was able to update from the WSUS properly again.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:26 AM
  • Hello

I'll be applying SP2 to our WSUS tomorrow to try and fix this issue. Question though, what happens to the client machines still checking in with the old version of Windows Update Agent? Will they be able to check in and get the updated agent?

Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:11 AM
  • I'll be applying SP2 to our WSUS tomorrow to try and fix this issue. Question though, what happens to the client machines still checking in with the old version of Windows Update Agent? Will they be able to check in and get the updated agent?

Yes.

However, in your case, a couple of extra things may happen.

First, if your WSUS server is still at WSUS v3 SP1, you may have client system still running the WUAgent v7.1. Some may also have been updated to v7.2 if they went to WU/MU between Summer 2008 and Fall 2009. Some may have been updated to v7.4 after Fall 2009. Some may even already be at v7.6 if they went to WU/MU in the past month.

When you upgrade WSUS v3 to Service Pack 2, that will then make the WUAgent v7.4 available to all of your clients. As each client checks in with the WSUS server, if it does not already have a v7.4 or newer WUAgent installed, it will be upgraded automatically to v7.4.

When you install KB2720211 to your WSUS3SP2 server, that will then make the WUAgent v7.6 available to all of your clients. As each client checks in with the WSUS server if it does not already have the v7.6 WUAgent installed, it will be upgraded automatically to v7.6

Note, that, depending on how long lapses between the installation of SP2 and the installation of KB2720211 it is possible that some clients may be first upgraded to the v7.4 WUAgent, and then to the v7.6 WUAgent. This should cause no harm, but may slow down the upgrade to the v7.6 WUAgent for such systems, since they may not check with the server until the next day.

One way you can expedite all of this - a few hours before upgrading, set your GPO Detection Interval to 4 hours. This will ensure that every client checks in at least twice during that workday, and two more times overnight if you leave the policy in place. The next morning, when you have confirmed that all clients have reported to the WSUS within the previous four hours, you can set the policy back to its previous value (or the default 22 hours, if you wish).

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Product Manager, SolarWinds
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Friday, July 20, 2012 1:21 AM
  • Installing KB KB2720211 on server 2003 that holds the WSUS server will fix the issue.

The problem appreared today on windows 7 clients and after the install of the WSUS Sp2 (KB2720211) the problem was fixed. The fix required no reboot so can be done during working hours.

Nilesh

MCITP-EA, MCSE+Messaging, MCDBA

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:52 AM
  • Issue we had at work, error was caused from the windows up date from the patch to update the windows update agent. Fix was to just update the windows update agent used in Zenworks.
    Friday, July 27, 2012 12:55 PM
  • I was able to fix this issue by using Microsoft Update rather than Windows update.
    Monday, September 24, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Your solution worked for me.

Thank you again.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:13 AM
  • Work for me too! 
    Monday, March 04, 2013 11:20 AM
  • I AM SO BLOODY SICK OF THIS ERROR IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY

FIX IT MICROSOFT!   THEY ARE A BUNCH OF BAFOONS

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:27 PM
  • I was able to fix this issue by using Microsoft Update rather than Windows update.
    I'm not sure what did or did not happen in your case, but there's absolutely NO difference whether using Windows Update or Microsoft Update. Both environments will force the upgrade of the Windows Update Agent before anything else happens.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:33 AM
  • I AM SO BLOODY SICK OF THIS ERROR IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY

Brian, the error occurs because the WSUS server is not properly patched, and the WUAgent v7.6 (which is required to get patches from anywhere) cannot communicate with an unpatched WSUS server.

It's just that simple. Correctly install KB2720211 -or- KB2734608 -or- KB2819484.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:37 AM