none
Display Settings

Question

• Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me how to change the display settings from the command line?

Also, does anyone have a good command line reference?

Many Thanks,

Jon.

Saturday, June 2, 2007 10:37 AM

Answers

• Wouldn't that be great!  Unfortunately no.  Best way is via an unattend install, but you can edit the registry as well

If you are just using the Standard VGA Adapter, you need to add/modify the following registry keys:

Reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\<DisplayGUID>\0000 /v DefaultSettings.XResolution /t REG_DWORD /d 1024

Reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\<DisplayGUID>\0000 /v DefaultSettings.YResolution /t REG_DWORD /d 768

You will need to look under VIDEO to see which key is your active display adapter and use that GUID. You will need to logoff/logon for the changes to take affect.

The only way to change the display resolution in Server Core is by modifying the registry. You can run regedit.exe on another box and connect remotely to the Server Core box so that you don't need to use reg.exe from the command line.

To change the resolution, you need to look under \Video and find the right display GUID and then modify the resolution values:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\" & sDisplayGUID & "\0000\DefaultSettings.XResolution

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\" & sDisplayGUID & "\0000\DefaultSettings.YResolution

Saturday, June 2, 2007 1:48 PM

All replies

• Wouldn't that be great!  Unfortunately no.  Best way is via an unattend install, but you can edit the registry as well

If you are just using the Standard VGA Adapter, you need to add/modify the following registry keys:

Reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\<DisplayGUID>\0000 /v DefaultSettings.XResolution /t REG_DWORD /d 1024

Reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\<DisplayGUID>\0000 /v DefaultSettings.YResolution /t REG_DWORD /d 768

You will need to look under VIDEO to see which key is your active display adapter and use that GUID. You will need to logoff/logon for the changes to take affect.

The only way to change the display resolution in Server Core is by modifying the registry. You can run regedit.exe on another box and connect remotely to the Server Core box so that you don't need to use reg.exe from the command line.

To change the resolution, you need to look under \Video and find the right display GUID and then modify the resolution values:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\" & sDisplayGUID & "\0000\DefaultSettings.XResolution

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\" & sDisplayGUID & "\0000\DefaultSettings.YResolution

Saturday, June 2, 2007 1:48 PM
  • Although the commands above still work, instead of using REG.EXE you can also use REGEDIT locally on the Server Core box. REGEDIT.EXE has been added to Server Core.
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 10:39 AM
  • What about the stuff on the "Effects" pane (Transition effect, Show window contents while dragging, etc)?  Where are the registry entries for those?  Or (preferably) are there any direct settings tools?

D

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 8:08 PM
  • You can find a lot of values for display settings in the registry. Changing these values changes the settings accordingly after a reboot or log off. I've found the following settings to be changeable:

Thursday, January 10, 2008 7:23 PM
  • For screen resolution only...

As you think, to edit registry is un-pleasant and error-prone task.  :-(

And, there are no way of automate changing screen resolutions. You can only retrive current resolution by typing

c:\> wmic desktopmonitor get ScreenWidth,ScreenHeight /format:list

(works on Vista but, not WS2008)

So I recommed to use "Resolution Changer" and you'll be surprised.

I've got a test from Server Core VM of x64 & x86 and it works well.

http://www.12noon.com/reschange.htm

It provides GUI and CLI executables.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:12 AM
  • you may wanna try:

Download: Video Resolution Changer (http://unattended.msfn.org/files/global/1365Vidchng.zip)

For some users, the values under [Display] in winnt.sif to set the resolution, color depth and refresh rate doesn't always work as it should. This executable can be run from [GuiRunOnce] to set the Display settings.

Extract 1365Vidchng.zip, and then copy 1365VidChng.exe into: C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$$\System32\ (This allows 1365VidChng to be executed from anywhere when placed in the Windows System32 Directory)

Usage: 1365VidChng.exe 1024x768x32@85 -q

The above will set a resolution of 1024x768, with a color depth of 32-bits, and a refresh rate of 85Hz. The -q switch will force VidChng to run quietly. Simply edit accordingly and then place this command at the very start of your [GuiRunOnce] batch file to set the Display Setting.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:47 AM
  • Hello,

I've checked registry settings as posted earlier - they're already set at 1024 x 768 but the display is running at 800 x 600 and I've not had any joy finding Video Resolution Changer at the link.

I'm going to see what I get via a remote session and will gladly accept any tips to correct the resolution rather than go blind at a flickering screen.

itswt

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:05 AM
  • Hi,

TS will give you whatever you set in the TS client before connecting.

Locally is the video driver that is installed able to do higher with your video card?

Andrew

Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Thanks Andrew. Display is fine via RD so it must be the local driver. Getting that off the Dell system disks (PowerEdge 2900) is proving to be an issue but I'll perservere, just need to learn the command line a bit more.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 10:57 AM
  • Hi,

Once you get the files, you can just run:

pnputil -i -a <path>\<driver.inf>

Andrew

Friday, April 25, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Thanks again Andrew - we now have the display at 1024x768 @60Hz although no noticeable change on the monitor which has a lot of flicker. I think the problem is that the server is sitting on a shakey table next to the monitor!

That's ok at the moment as we are accessing the server via RD and the display is fine on it.

itswt

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:46 PM
  • There's no need to use a third-party tool to automate screen resolution change. You can use a simble VB script like this:

Code Snippet

Dim RegValueData
    Set objReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\default:StdRegProv")
    objReg.GetStringValue &H80000002,"HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\VIDEO","\Device\Video0",RegValueData
    objReg.SetDWORDValue &H80000002,RIGHT(RegValueData, 82),"Acceleration.Level",0
    objReg.SetDWORDValue &H80000002,RIGHT(RegValueData, 82),"DefaultSettings.XResolution",1024
    objReg.SetDWORDValue &H80000002,RIGHT(RegValueData, 82),"DefaultSettings.YResolution",768

My example will set 1024x768 and also turn full hardware acceleration on (useful with VMware Tools).
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 8:04 PM
  • Hic ! Hepl !.....My Laptop VAIO demo is Lenovo VeriFace Recognition is specially made for !How can I decide what software to run?...Hic !...Help.......
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

Mine is not a server issue, but certainly one of screen resolution.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on an HP Pavilion zd8000 Notebook with a Standard VGA Display adapter. HP are not going to update the native driver.

My current display of 1280x 1024 is too stretched, and the native resolution should be 1680 x 1050 (HP specs). Can I use your suggestion on my laptop, especially as I am not very confident in the registry.

As an IT rookie I do not understand your instructions to make the above changes.

1.   Is the C:\'XPCD' a new folder of that name?

2.   Usage: What does this mean?

3.   Are your instructions exact for a x64 OS?

Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:01 AM
  • You might want to check wsdisplaysettings. It lets you configure multiple monitors from the command line. Can also sav/load settings to/from file. See http://wizardsoft.nl/admintools/admintools.html . Free for personal use.
    Sunday, April 3, 2016 1:30 PM