none
Application crashes when opened by a second user on a RDS RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have a RDS server set up with several different pieces of business software.  Users could then log into the RDS, run the applications they need at the moment and log off.  This has been working well with the limited number of people we had been using.  Recently we had several users complaining the a certain application was crashing the moment the tried to load it.  This software only allows a user to open it once.  What we had found is that is one user had the program open.  No one else could open it.  Once the first user closed out of the application, than someone else could then open it without issues.

    Does RDS not have a separation between sessions?  Maybe my lack of understanding how RDS works has confused me on what this server is truly capable of.  

    Thanks for any insight you can provide me!

    Friday, May 2, 2014 5:41 PM

Answers

  • When the application was installed on the server, did you make sure you put the server into Install mode, for instance by running :

    change user /install

    before running the installation, and then :

    change user /execute

    once you'd finished, as described here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742815.aspx ?

    If not then that could potentially be the issue, if the software has effectively been installed as if it's on a normal server rather than a multi user environment.

    Alternatively it could simply be that the application isn't compatible with terminal services environments. Unfortunately some applications store their information in such a way that they don't handle terminal setups properly, and either there's no way around it, or you have to do some manual fiddling to work around the issue so that multiple users can access it at the same time (but the methods required obviously differs depending on the individual bit of software).

    • Marked as answer by DChiShaggy Friday, May 2, 2014 7:17 PM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 7:13 PM

All replies

  • When the application was installed on the server, did you make sure you put the server into Install mode, for instance by running :

    change user /install

    before running the installation, and then :

    change user /execute

    once you'd finished, as described here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742815.aspx ?

    If not then that could potentially be the issue, if the software has effectively been installed as if it's on a normal server rather than a multi user environment.

    Alternatively it could simply be that the application isn't compatible with terminal services environments. Unfortunately some applications store their information in such a way that they don't handle terminal setups properly, and either there's no way around it, or you have to do some manual fiddling to work around the issue so that multiple users can access it at the same time (but the methods required obviously differs depending on the individual bit of software).

    • Marked as answer by DChiShaggy Friday, May 2, 2014 7:17 PM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 7:13 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Keith.  I was using the change user commands, so I feel I did install the software correctly.  But I think the issues, as you stated at the end of your message, is the software is not capable of running in this environment.  The one application can be ran as a service, and seems to do fine other than the configuration GUI does not run.  We may just have to take a different approach.

    Thanks again.

    Friday, May 2, 2014 7:25 PM
  • Well if you're feeling brave there may be ways around it. If it's a fairly well known app then if you check online you might find someone's done it before and has given details of what they did to make it work.

    Alternatively, you could try running Process Monitor http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx , firing up the application and seeing what files / folders are accessed by it, and which ones aren't user specific (since they're most likely to be causing your problem). If you can track that down, you can then see if there's a way to either adjust the app (a registry setting perhaps) to access those files from a location that appears on a per user basis, or to fool it into thinking it's accessing that normal location, where in fact it's linking to a per user folder instead.

    I've done something similar many years ago on a Citrix setup with an annoying app, and with much fiddling we got it to work, though unfortunately I can't remember the exact details of what we did. Obviously, make sure you have plenty of backups, copies of registry keys you change etc before trying it!!!

    Friday, May 2, 2014 7:45 PM