Error in virtual machine event log "disk 1 has been surprise removed" RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup hyper-v server 2012 on my server. there is only 1 VM running with 4 GB ram & 1.5 TB expanding hard drive.

I have found error in guest os "disk 1 has been surprise removed" can any one tell me what is this error exactly.  after this error i have checked hyper-v manager & found machine is showing "Merge In Progress" 

i never saw "disk 1 has been surprise removed" error. is this error occur because of hyper-v server is not configured properly.

Also i have server 2008 R2 DC x64 which is working as hyper-v host. I have checked event logs of same and found following error. "The disk signature of disk 2 is equal to the disk signature of disk 1." what is this.

Akshay Pate

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Akshay,

The first error usually occurs while the there is a communication issue with DISK or removal of a disk while the system is running.

Is this event only comping while the merging is happening? Please confirm.

Cheers.

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

InsideVirtualization.com

• Marked as answer by Akshay Pate Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:53 AM
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:44 AM
  • Hi Akshay,

AFAIK, this is expected along with a backup.

This message is expected when the plug and play manager (PNP) cannot find a disk that is considered by the system to be non-removable. This can occur when the system's communication with a disk is interrupted; this can occur when an IDE or SCSI disk has been removed. This message can also be generated because PNP identifies virtual hard drives as non-removable devices.

http://documentation.commvault.com/hds/v10/article?p=products/vs_ms/backup_troubleshooting.htm

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.

InsideVirtualization.com

• Marked as answer by Akshay Pate Tuesday, July 8, 2014 10:54 AM
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 10:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Akshay,

The first error usually occurs while the there is a communication issue with DISK or removal of a disk while the system is running.

Is this event only comping while the merging is happening? Please confirm.

Cheers.

InsideVirtualization.com

• Marked as answer by Akshay Pate Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:53 AM
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:44 AM
  • No it happens when backup job runs. i have scheduled backup job @ 10.30 AM and from last 3 days i have saw this error on same time. can this error is fatal for my virtual machines.??

Akshay Pate

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:53 AM
  • Hi Akshay,

AFAIK, this is expected along with a backup.

This message is expected when the plug and play manager (PNP) cannot find a disk that is considered by the system to be non-removable. This can occur when the system's communication with a disk is interrupted; this can occur when an IDE or SCSI disk has been removed. This message can also be generated because PNP identifies virtual hard drives as non-removable devices.

http://documentation.commvault.com/hds/v10/article?p=products/vs_ms/backup_troubleshooting.htm

InsideVirtualization.com

• Marked as answer by Akshay Pate Tuesday, July 8, 2014 10:54 AM
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 10:16 AM
  • Many thanks for your help. Can you please tell me is this very serious issue or we can safely ignore this. If not what is the fix for same. because we cant stop backup there are many clients vms are running on my server

Akshay Pate

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 10:53 AM
  • These events can be ignored.

Now a checkpoint is created of every virtual machine that is to be backed up.  Writes are temporarily redirected to the checkpoint’s AVHDX/AHVD file(s).  This gives the backup requestor a clean & crash consistent copy of the virtual machine’s VHD or VHDX files that are safe to read.    After the backup, the checkpoint is merged and the job is done.

Have a look on the below blog to get more clarity on how backups are happening with VSS now.

http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=15759

InsideVirtualization.com

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:32 PM
  • Many thanks for reply. I am using veeam backup is this happening because of veeam.

Akshay Pate

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 9:10 AM
  • I don't think so. It happens with Windows Server Backup as well. I believe it happens at the VSS stage.

Bill

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:56 AM
  • I use CA-ArcServer Backup. Their technical support just verified this "warning" can be ignored.

This applies to 2008 - 2012R2. The warning is from VSS. You can disable VSS to stop the warnings, but be forewarned you will cause system instability by disabling VSS.

This is caused by the backup process (specifically imaging) that runs with CA-ArcServe and Windows Backup (and probably others). For CA-ArcServer, you can disregard the other event that coincides with the event id: 157.

I also verified my backups are working, did a file/folder restore test, and restored some emails (I run Exchange 2013 SP1 on this 2012R2 server too), which all worked fine and these restores also caused the 157 warnings.

Hope this eases someone's mind. I get all edgy when I see errors I do not recognize or have never seen before.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 6:34 PM
  • Tested and found that both backups and VM snapshots (with quiesce enabled) result in these errors, eg

- Disk x has been surprise removed
    - {Delayed Write Failed}...
    - The device, \Device\HarddiskX\XXX, is not ready for access yet

So looks "normal" and nothing to worry about.

Monday, April 16, 2018 12:41 AM