none
Black screen when connecting to Windows Server 2019 on 1 machine only...able to connect from another computer without issue RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a hard time figuring out what's going on here. I have a desktop machine running Windows 10 (which was working fine before updating to 1903 (which for some reason made me do a fresh install)) I have another machine running Windows Server 2019 which I used to be able to use remote desktop to connect to and for some reason when I go to connect I get a black screen, it looks like it's trying to connect then it's just a black screen. I have another desktop that I'm able to connect via RDP without issue from this same machine which is weird that I'm just not able to see anything when connecting to the Windows Server machine. 

Strangely enough... I AM able to connect via remote desktop to the Windows Server machine from my Surface Pro (which I also updated to 1903)

Any suggestions anyone? 

• Edited by Steb0ne Thursday, June 6, 2019 3:17 AM
    Thursday, June 6, 2019 3:11 AM

All replies

• Okay... so apparently I can't connect to the Windows Server machine from my other desktop either... getting the same thing.

I wonder what's different about the Surface vs both my desktop machines causing this?

Thursday, June 6, 2019 3:44 AM
  • Hi,

I want to confirm with you if you establish the remote desktop connection to WS 2019 from two desktop machines use the same user credential?

If possible, please create a new user account on WS 2019 for remote connection, then, using the new credential on both two desktop machines to establish remote desktop connection and check the result.

Besides, if possible, please re-start your WS 2019 in Clean Boot firstly, with all 3rd party process disabled, and try to establish remote desktop connection and check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 8:34 AM
  • Hi,

I want to confirm with you if you establish the remote desktop connection to WS 2019 from two desktop machines use the same user credential?

If possible, please create a new user account on WS 2019 for remote connection, then, using the new credential on both two desktop machines to establish remote desktop connection and check the result.

Besides, if possible, please re-start your WS 2019 in Clean Boot firstly, with all 3rd party process disabled, and try to establish remote desktop connection and check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thanks for trying to help...

So I created another user account on WS 2019 and tried to establish remote connection using that account and I'm getting the same result... a black screen on both desktops. 

From my Surface Pro I'm still able to establish remote connection to WS 2019 using either the admin account or newly created account. 

I also tested just to see if the Microsoft Remote Desktop app on my iPad would connect and it connects without an issue as well. 

I've also re-started WS 2019 with no change. 

So strange this happened after updating both desktops from 1809 to 1903

Thursday, June 6, 2019 6:54 PM
  • Hi,

If possible, please add below registry entry on RDS system:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client 

Name: UseURCP
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0

Once complete, re-start system to make the change take effect and check the result. Please remember to backup registry before any change, it would be helpful for undo the change from backup is there is any problem happens after the change.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 10, 2019 7:26 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang     

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:49 AM