none
Files deleting over the Network /share drive is not going to the recycle bin it permanently delete the file but deleting from local drive is normaly going to recycle Bin !

Question

• In My terminal/citrix server environment the normal process for deleting a file from a local drive it goes to recycle bin and now if I delete something delete from Network /share drive it will permanently delete the file. So any resolution or workaround of this issue ?

Friday, July 22, 2011 10:41 AM

Answers

• this is by design the Recycle Bin only stores files deleted from hard drives, not from removable media, such as memory cards and floppy disks. It also doesn't store files deleted from network drives. May be a third party application can help you in this case

http://www.undeleteunerase.com/

http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
    Friday, July 22, 2011 10:58 AM

All replies

• this is by design the Recycle Bin only stores files deleted from hard drives, not from removable media, such as memory cards and floppy disks. It also doesn't store files deleted from network drives. May be a third party application can help you in this case

http://www.undeleteunerase.com/

http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
    Friday, July 22, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Hello,

what you see is normal, files/folders deleted from a share are gone forever. Only if you are logged on to a local machine the files/folders are first moved to the recycle bin, except the default is changed to delete them directly.

If you work with network shares it is recommended to have backup configured on that machine so you can restore accidental deleted files/folders.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:07 PM
  • It means that we cannot we can not redirect the file deleted over shared folder to recyclebin ?

Monday, July 25, 2011 3:04 PM
  • It means that we cannot we can not redirect the file deleted over shared folder to recyclebin ?

Hello,

No.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Not entirely true.
    You can make this work to some degree, read the following carefully:

You may have noticed that when you delete a file stored on a network location or mapped network drive that the file is permanently deleted. It does not go to the local computer's recycle bin and does not go to the server's recycle bin. I have discovered a work-around that extends recycle bin coverage to include mapped network drives. The solution is not 100% perfect, but works extremely well and does not rely on Shadow Copies or 3rd-party software.

Here's how:
    1. Map a network drive to the network share you want to use. Make sure that the drive is re-connected on logon. If you don't know how to do this, search Google.
    2. Browse to C:\users\<user name>.
    3. Right-click on one of the folders in this location (I chose saved games) and click properties.
    4. Select the Location tab.
    5. Click Move, browse to to root of the drive you mapped in step 1, and click Select Folder.
    6. Click Ok and click yes in the dialogue box that appears.
    7. Repeat these same steps for all users on the computer.

You can now verify that the network drive is protected by the recycle bin by right-clicking on the recycle bin and clicking properties. The network drive should be listed in the Recycle Bin Locations column.

Some warnings:
    1. This only protects files accessed through the mapped network drive, and not by UNC paths. So for example, if you mapped \\server\share to z:, and delete something off the z drive, it will go to the recycle bin. However, if you browse to \\server\share and delete a file, it will be deleted directly.
    2. I don't know what will happen if your network drive is not available, so beware. This may not work well with laptops.
    3. What ever files that were supposed to be stored in the folder you select in step 3 will now be stored on your mapped network drive by default. This can actually be quite useful.

Future goals:
    I don't currently know how to add this functionality to additional folders. As far as I can tell, only folders stored in C:\users\<user name> get this functionality. I'm still looking into this, but will update this post if I find additional information.

• Proposed as answer by nhelder Thursday, September 6, 2012 1:09 AM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 2:33 PM
  • I have experienced the same (issue?) with redirected MyDocuments in 2003/XP environment. This is true, files deleted on a network share go to that network disk Recycler folder and are visible/accessible in Recycle Bin on clients. No idea how to add functionality for other folders.
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator; MCT; Microsoft Security Trusted Advisor; CCNA; CCSI
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:02 PM
  • no credit to original poster

rusabus

Russel

Saturday, August 25, 2012 10:38 PM
  • Thanks!!!!

That works perfectly, for the time being!

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Thank you for your useful post!

I recently also get the hard drive data recovery problem and restore all my wanted data back with some data recovery tool:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

http://www.4cardrecovery.com/

Or http://freeware-fix.blogspot.com/2013/02/external-hard-disk-recovery.html

Note: Always never forget to back up all important data in case of any data recovery problems.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:46 AM
  • Hey man,

Your post is not a new cool idea instead standard practice, The real issue we want to resolve is to be able send files from network drives to Recycle bin just like Salvage files in Linux.

What you have wrote is common method use by admin to redirect user profile to network location and who said that you can not do this using UNC path I have 300 computers AD network and i am doing it for all 300 devices including laptops. You can also enable offline access, the reason why you are able to point these to recycle bin is because these folders are cached on local C: drive by default and already added to the recycle bin.

You can play with recycle bin registry keys to add additional folders including Network folders with out linking them to user profile but this is not very practical for large environment. Here it is how

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/windows/en-US/a349801f-398f-4139-8e8b-b0a92f599e2b/enable-recycle-bin-on-mapped-network-drives

• Edited by fmskydiver Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:31 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:29 AM
  • I understand that this is a very old thread. But I don't know where else to ask: I followed these instructions. They appear to have worked.

But how do I undo this?
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 9:35 PM
  • Third party product called Undelete.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:40 PM
  • I know this is an old thread, but this is very much related.  We tried this and it seems to work beautifully.  However for anyone trying this I warn you to NOT try to use the Move command to put it back in its original location as when my coworker did that it renamed his profile, apparently changed the folder type, and we are not sure how to undo it because there are no longer the Move and Restore options.  Any suggestions for his computer?

So for anyone who tries this and wants to UNDO it, I suggest NOT using the move command again, but to try the Restore command.  As for my own computer I am quite happy with the games folder being in the network location, allowing me to use the Recycling bin, and so I am not willing to test restoring it right now.  That being said I should think will work fine.

Any suggestions on how to fix my coworkers profile folder on his computer?

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 4:41 PM
  • I actually got this to work without any additional software and it works under the current Windows 10 in a home network environment.

I found the following post on Superuser.com that was posted by Duncan on 4 February 2014. Read my additional comments below his repost.
    -------------------------------------------
    Duncan's post
    http://superuser.com/questions/160990/put-files-deleted-over-the-network-into-a-windows-trash-can

It's a shame that an easy and effective answer has been downvoted on here. Othniel Cressy's steps do solve the problem without needing any extra software. I don't have enough reputation to upvote him or comment on his post so I'm having to reply here instead but it's a great solution for people!

All you need to do is set the location of one of your Personal Folders to the root of the network drive and Windows automatically adds that location to the Recycle Bin. I use the "Contacts" folder as I have no other use for it, but you can use "My Music" or "My Games".

Right click on the Personal Folder you don't use (e.g. Contacts) and choose Properties
    Find the Location tab
    Click Move... and set the new location to the root of the Network Drive
    I chose to not move existing files, there shouldn't be any anyway.
    Done. Check your Recycle Bin locations and you should see your network drive on there! I found this a great tip so I hope it helps others.
    -----------------------------
    Tim's comments
    I tried this and it seems to work! Here are some more tips.

- You have to do this for each login to your home network where you want deleted server files/folders sent to the recycle bin.

- I remapped the user/contacts folder to the same UNC \\myserver\mydata location where I have the family store all their server data (which I back up weekly to an external drive). I prefer my home users not map a drive letter to the server share to protect against any possible ransomware attack.

- Any deleted file/folder on the mapped server share can be found in the users recycle bin which they can then restore themselves. You won't see them in the server's recycle bin. I'm not sure where these are actually stored but I don't think it matters unless space is an issue.

- This change does change the look of the folder on the server that you mapped to (no visible change to the end user). On the server I no longer saw \\myserver\mydata but instead saw \\myserver\contacts. To resolve this so my weekly backups would still work I simply right clicked and renamed the new \\myserver\contacts folder to \\myserver\mydata. The explorer window on my server PC still looks a little odd (the old data share isn't where it used to be) but if everything works then I can accept that.

- In my case all users will see all files deleted from the server share in their recycle bin. For example, if user A deletes file 1 from the server share and user B deletes file 2 from the same server share then both deleted files will appear in both users recycle bin. This may be an issue in an office environment but not at home.

Sunday, August 7, 2016 5:20 PM
  • Thats never been true for windows before, and its completely unacceptable. 
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:08 PM
  • Simple solution - turn on shadow copies for your shares, run it twice a day.  
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 12:11 PM
  • Do you have a solution how to disable or revert back?
    • Edited by CEATI Monday, November 19, 2018 3:09 PM fix typo
    Monday, November 19, 2018 3:09 PM