none
Missing Group Policy Settings - Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have come across a strange issue with Group Policy whilst installing an evaluation at a customer site.

I have installed a Windows 2012R2rtm DC into a Windows 2008R2 domain (with an existing RDS system) and configured a 2012 RDS system. All has gone fine other than the fact I'm missing a few Group Policy settings specifically "Start Screen Layout" and "specify Default URL".

When I run GPMC I can confirm that the selected domain controller is the newly installed 2012R2 DC and that the correct ADMX file exist in the "PolicyDefinitions" folder.

I can't fathom out what I have done wrong so any help would be really appreciated.

Monday, September 16, 2013 8:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• when you open GPMC, does it show you "policy definitions retrieved from local machine" or, "policy definitions retrieved from central store" ?
    (example screenshot is here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2011/12/12/how-to-implement-the-central-store-for-group-policy-admin-templates-completely-hint-remove-those-adm-files.aspx )

if it shows "from central store", have you, or will you, update the central store with the WS2012 template files?

Or, you can set the registry settings etc so this machine does not read from central store, for a test.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Monday, September 16, 2013 9:54 PM edit
    • Marked as answer by Crustbusta Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:24 PM
    Monday, September 16, 2013 9:52 PM
  • Hi Crustbusta,

Based on my understanding, some group policy settings are missing from the GPMC of your Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM. Right?

The missed group policy settings specifically "Start Screen Layout" and "specify Default URL" are included in Administrative Templates.  Occasionally the MMC snap-in DLLs which are registered by default can be un-registered or removed and when that happens, the underlying group policy editing functionality they implement will not appear in the Group Policy editor UI. Please try the following methods to re-register the appropriate MMC snap-in DLL that implements the missing functionality:

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, type cmd in the Start, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator in the bottom. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Yes.
      1. At the command prompt, type the command regsvr32 gptext.dll, and then press Enter.

In addition, it would be helpful for future troubleshooting if you could help to collect the following information:

Does other group policy settings of the admx work fine?

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:18 PM
  • At the command prompt, type the command regsvr32 gptext.dll, and then press Enter.

Don't get setup, but this is the most funny kind of solution for missing ADMX files I've ever seen ;-)

The TO simply has to copy the policydefinitions folder of 2012 R2 to either the central store (he isn't using right now) or to the local computer.

Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))

Restore the forum design - my user defined Cascading Style Sheet!

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:39 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Many thanks for taking the time to help me with my issue.

Essentially GPMC was pointing at a central store which did not contain the updated ADMX/L files and hence my issue. I've copied the relevant files to the central store and everything is now exposed.

Pete ....

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:27 PM
  • Same story with using W8.1 machine with RSAT, as to control GPMC (currently I have no 2012 R2 server installed on my AD). ADMX is loaded from central store. Executing regsvr32 gptext.dll does not help. Is it safe to overwrite local admx from W8.1 client to a sysvol policy store?
    Monday, October 21, 2013 6:15 PM
  • Same story with using W8.1 machine with RSAT, as to control GPMC (currently I have no 2012 R2 server installed on my AD). ADMX is loaded from central store. Executing regsvr32 gptext.dll does not help. Is it safe to overwrite local admx from W8.1 client to a sysvol policy store?

make a backup of the ADMX and ADML files in your central store (just in case).

The Win8.1 files are backwards-compatible, but depending on any custom changes you may have made over time, or the impacts of IE10/11, this may impact you.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:04 PM
  • I had a similar issue where I couldn't find settings where they used to be. Turns out they had moved. I found the settings in Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > All Settings
    Monday, December 10, 2018 12:19 AM