none
Problem with multiple instances of shared printers being installed on client computers when the spooler service is started

Question

• Hello,

We have Windows Server 2012 and clients using Windows 8.  We've been having some printer problems for awhile now that I haven't been able to figure out for the life of me.  The main problem is the fact that printers are installed on computers automatically once the drivers are installed.  The side-effect of multiple instances of each printer showing up is very annoying but I suspect fixing the initial problem will resolve this secondary one.

Here is the rundown:

• We add the shared printers on logon to the clients using the GPO thus installing the drivers locally.
    • Whenever the spooler on the client is restarted with the drivers installed, all of the shared printers that were previously installed get duplicated 5 more times (for a total of 6 instances of each shared printer) on the "Devices and Printers" page.  This happens all the time.
    • Removing them only fixes the issue temporarily, as soon as the spooler or computer is restarted, it seems these shared printers are somehow found on the network and the duplicates return.
    • Two of these printers are located on different clients, installed locally and shared while the other three are all installed on a server and shared through it.  The issue is the same on all of them.
    • Cleaning the spooler completely (registry and files from C:\system32\spool) fixes the issue temporarily as well since, as soon as the drivers are reinstalled, the issue occurs again.

I've tried many things (disabling the GPO, editing the GPO, printer shares, registry, etc.) and searched tirelessly online for a cause and solution but I'm stumped.  Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this problem and how to resolve it?

Thanks for your time!

Update #1: I just tried adding the NoNetCrawling option in the registry found in this article -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320138/en-us

I couldn't find the same for Windows 8 unfortunately.  I also tried disabling network discovery and all other sharing options to no avail.

Update #2: I tried isolating the computer to a different subnet and restarting the spooler and, sure enough, the issue didn't occur.  This proves that the issue is network share related.  Also, as soon as I change the IP back to the regular domain subnet one, the multiple printer instances re-appeared again.

Update #3: I just tried doing the same thing but on the server where the printers are installed and shared and, sure enough, despite being in a different subnet, the issue occurred.  This leads me to believe there is a setting on this server at fault.  Question is, which one?

• Edited by naashkyr Friday, May 03, 2013 12:11 PM Typo
    Thursday, May 02, 2013 2:29 PM

Answers

• Not solved by upgrading to 8.1

In my environment this issue appears to have been caused by being inconsistent with the way that the printers were connected and/or how they were named.

**My Environment**
    1 Print Server - Named sadhand
    Around 130 clients and Servers
    Printers Connected at logon via Logon Script

***********What we are seeing and what it leads us to think*************

So the issue seemed to occur shortly after an alteration to the logon script. And what was found in the registry appears to support this was the beginning.

I noticed in the Device manager that there were subtle differences in the naming of the printers, the printers would all be named exactly the same, the only difference was capitalization in the naming. Example: EDI - HP4200 on sadhand    also listed as EDI - HP4200 on SADHand

(Yeah, this is crazy. Normally in Windows sadhand and SADHand wouldn't be seen as different.)

Going to the Registry showed further issues with this. In the Logon Script we were currently using, sadhand was used, where as SADHand was used in the older version. Going to the registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers]

We would see a key for SADHand.domain.local and another for sadhand

*******How we fixed it*******

The issue was fixed by completely wiping the registry, more specifically wiping HKLM, of all references to our network printers and their servers.

Once we did this, only sadhand was seen under the Registry entry mentioned above, and only one instance of each printer was created under Devices and Printers and under Device manager.

I know that the wipe all reg. method is a little extreme, and I think that there is probably a specific registry key that is to blame for this. I have some Terminal Servers that require this to be fixed on so I will be trying to filter through and find a practical fix. I'll post my result when I find it. Hopefully this can help others plagued by this or similar issues.

• Proposed as answer by MachTesseract Monday, June 30, 2014 12:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by naashkyr Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:00 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:45 PM

All replies

• How many computers are on the network?

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Friday, May 03, 2013 12:02 AM
    Answerer
  • Hello Alan,

There are 18 client computers on the network not counting the 2 DCs.

Thanks for your time!

• Edited by naashkyr Friday, May 03, 2013 2:06 PM
    Friday, May 03, 2013 12:10 PM
  • Are you using GPP or a script to install the connections to the shares. 

If these were all local printers, it sounds like a feature (that I do not recall the name) but it should only happen when there are less than 20 computers on the network AND the machines are not domain joined.

None of the XP policies for Network file and print share auto detection will impact this Win8 feature.

Deleting files under \windows\system32\spool is not a good practice since the registry entries for the devices that use these files still exist.  Once the files are replaced, all the entries from the registry can be enumerated and brought online.

• Proposed as answer by Mathiesen Data Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mathiesen Data Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:26 PM
    Saturday, May 04, 2013 12:54 AM
    Answerer
  • GPP, but even without it and simply installing them manually creates the issue anyway.  We removed the workstation from the GPO for our tests.

And yes, the machines are all domain-joined and the entries were removed from the registry as well.  Again though, the problem is "solved" as soon as the entries are removed and the files deleted.  However, as soon as one of the drivers is re-installed, the issue occurs again for the printer associated to it.

Monday, May 06, 2013 12:13 PM
  • So, what you're saying is we can't do anything about the auto-install feature?  Despite the fact that the workstations are all domain-joined?

And, if so, any idea why it would install several copies of the same shared printer on each workstation once the drivers are installed?

Monday, May 13, 2013 12:12 PM
  • The Network Connect Devices Auto setup feature will only install the network device as a local printer.

Launch notepad and perform File / Print.  You will see the list of printers the spooler reports to the Devices and Printers folder.  Do you see multiples there?

Monday, May 13, 2013 6:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Nope, only one of each.
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:58 PM
  • Any news on this?  Do you know what this could mean?

Thank you for your time.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:54 PM
  • I'm sorry I missed the previous reply.  It means the UI is grabbing additional information from a source other than the print spooler service.  Try device manager first and see if there are items that match what is displayed in Devices UI.  I'd uninstall one and see if the UI updates. 

The Common PrintUI used by notepad and other applications makes a printer enumeration call to the spooler service.  You can open the old printers folder as well where you will just see the information from the spooler service.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/comments-field-for-network-printer-no-longer/868701bc-b7b6-44fc-bdac-f54ca9585c55

it's the shell command I reference about halfway down the post.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:02 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes they are all there.  They are all listed under "Print Queues" and uninstalling one removes it from the UI (though only until the next reboot, log-off/log-in or anything else that would restart the spooler service).

They're all listed with their full share path and name i.e.: \\servername\Laserjet - Administration

An additional note I'd like to make is that the shares are mostly all on the same station/server though 2 of the printers are shared by 2 different stations which also replicate the issue.

Also, is the shell command the same for Windows 8?  I tried it and it didn't work, says that the syntax is incorrect.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Anything else I could try?
    Monday, May 27, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Did you ever get a solution to this naashkyr?   We are having same problem, but on some workstations are getting up to 300 instances of printers.    Driving me insane!

Thanks

Thursday, November 07, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Do you see multiple from notepad's File Print dialog or is this just something seen in the Devices UI?

Thursday, November 07, 2013 4:45 PM
    Answerer
  • Under the Devices UI, but there are times it won't display the printer on a program's print dialog, which is when users go into the Control Panel and get concerned about the multiple printers.

Is there a way to remove these?   We use vbscript to run at logon through GP to map printers up.  

Thank you

Thursday, November 07, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Could you send a sample script regarding how you are creating the connections to the shares?

I'm assuming the spooler process is enumerating just one connection.  Have you looked in Device Manager?  Check there and see if there are a bunch of print devices that match what you see in the Devices UI.  If so that is where the UI is picking up the information. 

I suggest using powershell add-printer functionality in Windows 8 to add the connections at logon.  This will add the connection in AddPrinterConnection2 context.  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd183345(v=vs.85).aspx

PS C:\> get-help add-printer

Add-Printer [-ConnectionName] <String> [-AsJob [<SwitchParameter>]] [-CimSession <CimSession>]

Thursday, November 07, 2013 6:40 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you for reply Alan, yes they are all showing under Device Manager. I think my colleague looked at the powershell add-printer option before, but only worked n some machines. I will look into this option.

Is there a quick way to remove all instances of the printers?    When I manually remove, they reappear just as quick.

Here is a copy of the script we use:

Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection"\\servername\printername"
    WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter"\\servername\printername"

Set WshNetwork = nothing

Thanks again for your time and help.  

Friday, November 08, 2013 12:16 PM
  • What do you mean when you state "manually remove". 

Using the "Windows 95" era Network.SetDefaultPrinter will create a default printer with Win95 parameters.  I know some applications will choke on this. 

If the powershell print command get-printer lists the connection, then you can use powershell remove-printer command to delete the connection.

Monday, November 11, 2013 10:25 PM
    Answerer
  • If what you see in Devices and Printers are devices rather than spooler objects, check in the registry under this key for multiple devices.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{0ecef634-6ef0-472a-8085-5ad023ecbccd}

Connections for each user are under these keys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\USER_SID\Printers\Connections

with additional information stored

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers\SERVERNAME\Printers

• Proposed as answer by haasje30 Wednesday, March 08, 2017 12:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by haasje30 Wednesday, March 08, 2017 12:26 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:56 PM
    Answerer
  • I am too having the same issue and i am basically out of ideas on this.  Anyone else have any luck with this printer multiple error?  I have drilled down everywhere and one thing i find that other posters haven't posted is this:

Under this regkey, i found the value as noted:

HKLM\SOFT\MS\WNT\CV\PRT\PROV\CSRPP\"user_id"\PRTS\CONNECT\,,*printservername*.domain,printer name

Does anyone have an idea on why the ", ,"?  What does it show for all others with this issue?

Thursday, December 05, 2013 8:38 PM
  • Has there been any true resolution to this problem?  I thought it was a problem on the print server we have or bad drivers.  A new print server with new drivers is now producing the same issue and only on windows 8.  Is it solved by upgrading to 8.1?
    Friday, December 13, 2013 3:54 PM

In my environment this issue appears to have been caused by being inconsistent with the way that the printers were connected and/or how they were named.

**My Environment**

So the issue seemed to occur shortly after an alteration to the logon script. And what was found in the registry appears to support this was the beginning.

I noticed in the Device manager that there were subtle differences in the naming of the printers, the printers would all be named exactly the same, the only difference was capitalization in the naming. Example: EDI - HP4200 on sadhand    also listed as EDI - HP4200 on SADHand

(Yeah, this is crazy. Normally in Windows sadhand and SADHand wouldn't be seen as different.)

Going to the Registry showed further issues with this. In the Logon Script we were currently using, sadhand was used, where as SADHand was used in the older version. Going to the registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers]

The issue was fixed by completely wiping the registry, more specifically wiping HKLM, of all references to our network printers and their servers.

Once we did this, only sadhand was seen under the Registry entry mentioned above, and only one instance of each printer was created under Devices and Printers and under Device manager.

I know that the wipe all reg. method is a little extreme, and I think that there is probably a specific registry key that is to blame for this. I have some Terminal Servers that require this to be fixed on so I will be trying to filter through and find a practical fix. I'll post my result when I find it. Hopefully this can help others plagued by this or similar issues.

• Proposed as answer by MachTesseract Monday, June 30, 2014 12:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by naashkyr Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:00 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:45 PM
  • Thanks jordanmdrake, as you said I had one printer showing up there in two ways, one as "STHENO" and one as "STHENO.domain.com". Removed them all, and refreshed. No double instances after that any more!

Friday, February 07, 2014 1:38 PM
  • In our environment, upgrading to 8.1 seems to have resolved the issue.  I never had the problem with my Windows 7 installations, only Windows 8.  I say seems to have resolved the issue because I have 8.1 in place for only a couple of weeks.  I am suspicious that the cause may have been a conflict between the auto detect feature for devices on a network that is part of Windows 8 and a group policy that deployed specific printers for specific users.  I had the same slightly different names of printers on the network that were previously described but that seems to have disappeared as well when I upgraded the machines to 8.1.  Now they all appear as Printer on printserver.domain.com
    Friday, February 07, 2014 3:10 PM
  • Just thought I'd chime in as I've experienced similar issues on Server 2012 R2.

Initially I was investigating another printer related issue, and started removing printers from Devices and Printers, only to find they would appear again straight away!

As I repeated removing the printers, they continued to come back and duplicate. 

From attempting to remove 4 printers, I ended up with 20!

Removing them in Device Manager from the Print Queues works, but all 20 came back after restarting the spooler service

******The fix was******

After finding this post, I started trying to delete the dupes under Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers but was getting access denied errors.

Further searching led me to the Wow6432Node version of the same key, specifically

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers

After removing the entries here, then removing the printers from Devices and Printers, all was well.

Restarting the spooler confirmed the duplicates no longer showed up.

Jordan, this issue was on a Server 2012 RDSH so the fix may be checking this key too..

• Proposed as answer by Rasmus Rask Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:17 AM
    Wednesday, March 05, 2014 10:27 PM
  • Another confirmation of the same problem.  First we deleted the duplicate printers from the key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers

That worked for a while but they would reappear.  Since it is under the client side rendering, we went to the print server and unchecked "Render print jobs on client computers" under the sharing tab.

Then we deleted the print server from the key above and restarted the spooler.  When deleting the entire server, you will most likely have to set up the printers for the end users. We felt this was acceptable since we have been fighting it for months.

• Edited by Steve Ruch Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:20 PM
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:19 PM
  • I'm having the same issues on our network.  We recently upgraded print drivers on the print server and some of the printers wouldn't take the driver,  and others would (All windows 8).  We use GPO's to push out the printers.  Every time I deleted one, I'd end up with n+1 duplicate printers.  I removed the printer from the GPO, rebooted and then deleted all instances of the print queue in the device manager.  I could then keep the duplicates from reoccurring.  I could then manually install the new driver.

We're trying another machine now, and instead we're going to move the machine to another OU, where the GPO isn't applied and try it there.  Fix the issue, and then move it back into the original GPO to see if that works.

I get that the GPO is ensuring that the printer is installed, but why all the duplicate print queues?

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:35 PM
  • Well, I am sorry to say that upgrading 8.1 did not permanently fix this problem. I am seeing some recurrence of the problem, but not as bad.  I have stopped using any GPO’s to deploy printers which means users can only add them manually.  No tagging a computer with a particular default printer, or a user with a default printer will work now.  My working theory is that something between the GPO and the auto recognition of network devices that is available in Windows 8/8.1 is causing this issue.  If it were just the GPO I would have the same problem with Windows 7.  I think upgrading to 8.1 worked temporarily because it reset the registry as was previously indicated.  Any GPO calling for the printer, however, seems to trigger the problem.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:51 PM
  • For me the following fixed the problem on windows 8 and windows 8.1.

Open System – Advanced system settings – Hardware – Device installation settings Select the option Never install driver software from windows update.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 12:39 PM

**My Environment**

I was having the same issue. I tried all possible solutions listed in this post, but it wasn't until I went into the registry to clear out all of the servers and printers that the issue was corrected. At least for the time being anyways. Let's hope it no longer rears it's ugly head.
    Friday, June 27, 2014 5:28 PM
  • What are the exact registry entries that need to be deleted in order to resolve this issue?

I have the same issue on WIN 2012 RDS server.  Device Manager does not contain duplicates but Devices &Printers UI does.

I went into the reg and deleted everything under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers]

..but that didn't help much. 

Alan Morris above mentions: 

f what you see in Devices and Printers are devices rather than spooler objects, check in the registry under this key for multiple devices.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{0ecef634-6ef0-472a-8085-5ad023ecbccd}

&

I do in fact have a large number of objects under this list.  Should I delete them all and also remove everything from Device Manager (even though they aren't duplicated in device manager)???

Tuesday, August 05, 2014 5:36 PM
  • We have deployed a brand new Active Directory domain for a customer. ALL the servers without exception are Windows 2012 R2 and all clients are Windows 8.1 32bit VDI clients.

The issue that we have is around network printers. 

We are deploying 4 printers  from a Windows 2012 R2 Server via the print management/Deploy Printer and assigning that to a GPO. The printers are deployed to the Computers which should mean that the users get all 4 printers which they then should be allowed to set their default and personal settings for that printer.

Our printers are deployed like this:

1. Created security group
    2. Assigned VDI computers to the security group
    3. Created GPO to reflect security group
    4. Modify GPO to do security filtering based on computer group membership
    5. Deployed 4 x printers through Print Management to the GPO on a per machine basis

However, on the users Devices and Printers screen we are not seeing the 4 printers. For some users they see duplicates of all 4 printers so e.g they can have upwards of 8 or more. Other users have no printers displayed whatsoever. The next time they log off or restart they then have a different amount of printers displayed.

If they try and set the default then it will set and the next time they check the default may have moved to another printer even without logging off or back on.

Now, where this gets strange is within an application such as MS Word 2013 or Notepad if they use the file and print menu the printers will be listed, even if the user has no printers displayed in Devices and Printers. If the users selects a printer then they can then print OK.

If we check HKCU\Printers||Connections then the CORRECT 4 printers are showing as to what is being deployed via the GPO so I know that the Windows 8.1 terminals are receiving the correct printers from the GPO.

To try and correct this over the course of the week we have deployed the printers via Group Policy Preferences to the user and then the PC to no avail. Currently we are using the Print management\Deployed Printers to deploy all 4 printers to the computer via the Computer GPO.

I believe that this issue is related to the display somehow in Devices and Printers rather than a GPO or print server issue as we can see via the registry the clients are receiving the 4 correct mentioned printers as shown in the registry. 

FYI: We only have around 30 users and all users are getting this problem. All users are receiving the same GPO's and have the same few apps installed, Office 2013, Adobe Reader etc.

What we want is for the computers to receive all 4 printers. All users should be able to use all 4 printers but the user should be able to select their particular default, depending where they are located or what they are printing that particular day. Their particular default should persist after reboot. (We have 2 x Copiers and 2 x HP Laserjets) All users have redirected documents and desktop but the rest of the profile is on the VDI and persists after their reboot. The profile is not roaming as the user is assigned a particular VDI.

After a week of scratching our heads with this we are open to suggestions and any would be appreciated. We have tried following the issues on this thread to no avail either as they still return.

Friday, August 15, 2014 3:20 PM
  • encounter similar problem with multiple printers creating itself with windows 2012 r2 in all RDS sessions

i was going to attempt above registry hack but a work college suggested 'print & document' roles on the DC and print sharing server

this seems to fix for me!

Sunday, August 17, 2014 6:28 AM
  • encounter similar problem with multiple printers creating itself with windows 2012 r2 in all RDS sessions

i was going to attempt above registry hack but a work college suggested 'print & document' roles on the DC and print sharing server

this seems to fix for me!

Gerald, are you suggesting sharing the printers from the local DC?
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:11 PM
  • Hi All,

I have been having the same problems as all of you with printers going missing / having multiples, etc. I have tried following this twice: http://digitalzombies.com/2014/07/03/print_issues_rds_2012/ but it only worked for a day or two.

I have just come across this Roll-up Update for server 2012 R2 http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2975719

Especially looking at an included fix: http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2967077

I will apply this, and report back.

Mike

Friday, October 03, 2014 3:44 AM
  • Mike,  Any update on whether the Roll-up update for server 2012 R2 fixed this issue?  We are having this problem with our 2012 RDS setup as well but only on one of our servers where multiple instances of the same printer are showing in Devices and Printers.

-Russ

Monday, October 06, 2014 4:41 PM
  • Same issues at our Windows Server 2012 R2 RDS environnement. We are running one printserver, all printers are shared. The printers are mapped to the users by GPP.

The printers that are mapped twice, are using the printername:

<printername> & <printername.domain.local>

The printserver is showing up double in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers]. So <Printserver> and <Printserver.dgi.local>. 

I tried deleting the <Printserver> in the registry and leaving the <Printerserver.domain.local> entry there. But still the printers are automatically added once you delete them. It takes a few seconds after deletion and then the evil twin brother's printer is back again.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:51 PM
  • Same issues here with about 125 machines in a lab environment.  I've been fighting this issue off and on intermittently for over 2 years now.  From the user's perspective the printers just randomly don't map when they log on (Each user has their own unique AD account) on their first logon.  If I look in the event viewer there's a corresponding 4098 error ('0x80070057 The parameter is incorrect.) logged.  We also see the accumulation of registry keys for the printers in question here:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider"

And here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\DeviceClasses\{0ecef634-6ef0-472a-8085-5ad023ecbccd}  (These cannot be deleted)

Here's my thread on another forum:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/443975-gpp-printer-mapping-4098-errors

It started with Windows 7 and a Server 2008.  Eventually we re-imaged all of the machines with a Windows 8.1 image and I was hoping the issue would go away in that process.  It did not.

Then, I opted to build a new print server with Server 2012 R2.  All printer shares were re-created in the process.  The problems persisted.

I've tried reverting back to a .vbs script to map the printers rather than GPP and got the same random "0x80070057 The parameter is incorrect." errors.  So, it seems as if this has nothing to do directly with the GPP printer configuration themselves.  It still could be GPO related but if so it's likely some odd bug with another setting.

We only see this on our lab computers and it doesn't seem to affect machines where the same users login regularly (i.e. staff computers).  If we reimage a machine the problem seems to stop occurring for a while until enough bad entries accumulate under the above registry keys then it starts to occur more consistently.

I've now installed KB2975719 on 4 test machines and the print server to see if that does any good.

• Edited by JeffZ6 Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:25 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 7:49 PM
  • I first removed all printers in Devices and printers then I deleted all entries listed in 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider\Servers]

I also deleted all keys except Servers listed in

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider]

Then restarted the computer.

It can't hurt to remove everything since you can alway read them. It might end up costing you more time just restarting and doing everything again just to remove those you thought weren't going to cause a problem.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 7:31 PM
  • Hi jenni,

Sorry for getting back so late (just now saw the replies on this old thread!) but I've gone ahead and marked Jordan's post as the answer.  We ended up doing exactly what he described to fix the issue on the afflicted computers.  Can't recall whether or not the naming was different from one value to the other but clearing all values from the registry and cleaning the C:\system32\spool folder solved the issue on the computers affected.

Hope you were able to get it working in the end!

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:03 PM
  • We did some testing with this printer share name capitalization point that jordanmdrake made.

With a Windows Server 2012 R2 print server setup we have seen the following results:

If you add the printer to the client using add printers and search Active directory, it adds the printer with a capitalized server name hplaserjet.SERVER.domain.local

If you add the printer using add printers but select The Printer that I want isn't listed and enter in the printer share without the domain \\server\hplaserjet it adds the printershare without the capital hplaserjet.server

And the same goes for adding the printer with a script or installing through its UNC, if you use \\server\hplaserjet it add it without the server name captializataion, and if you use \\server.domain.local\hplaserjet  it adds the printer with the server name capitalized.

We have had one customer with everything setup without the capitalization and haven't had one issue, but customers with the capitalization have had the issues.

I hope this all helps others with this very annoying problem

Tuesday, December 02, 2014 4:01 AM
  • In addition to the solution I proposed a  few months ago, I have since been able to get our systems to the point where the issue is no longer seen.

In order to get to this point here is what we have done:

1. Avoided using Universal Printer drivers, especially HP's - I know they are easy and readily available, but the majority of the printers that would show up as duplicated, or in some cases unable to print certain type of documents, were using a universal print driver
    2. Used Type-4 Print drivers - Most manufactures will supply MS with new Type-4 drivers, also called Class drivers. Because they are provided to MS, they can be downloaded from Windows Update when the client machine connects to the printer.
    3. Adjusted Group Policy to ensure end users can install print drivers without the need of Admins
    4. Removed print mapping scripts from our environment - we deploy through Group Policy now
    5. We also have switched Print Servers since this time

I am unsure which of these actually is the biggest help or fixed it. My bet is the 1st two as this seemed to help even before we changed print servers.

These are just some more options for those struggling with this.

Thursday, December 04, 2014 5:34 PM
  • Thanks alot - 5 hours later :D
    Friday, March 31, 2017 1:34 AM