none
User login stuck in loop, screen flashing RRS feed

• Question

• Using 2016 server using Failover Cluster Manager running multiple VMs and RDS setup. 

On one specific Vm for just a few of the users when they try to login the screen just keeps flashing and the login is never successful.  Only a reboot of the VM fixes the problem temporarily but then it is back the next day. 

All user accounts are domain accounts. 

The error log shows this - 

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.14393.3053, time stamp: 0x5d01d1c5
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.2969, time stamp: 0x5ccd148a
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000095ebf
    Faulting process id: 0x2220
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d54571ddd16db0
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 55df0ec3-4338-4090-afdf-c0657411d218
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I have done a fair bit of googling and this seems to be a fairly common issue with no obvious fix other than to rebuild the VM from scratch. 

The thing is it only applies to certain user accounts on the VM not all of them and when the issue is present I can still login with the domain admin account with no problems. 

So couple of questions - 

1) If it is only specific user accounts that display this problem does that suggest that it is not an issue with the VM or is that a false assmumption ? 

2) If it just the user accounts then what I want to do is create new accounts for these users but then I need to replicate their profile in terms of desktop settings etc. 

Can someone tell me how to go about doing that ? 

Any help or suggestions on the above would be much appreciated. 

Monday, July 29, 2019 9:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1>
    If problem only happens on specific user account, it may be relate to corruption user profile. Besides, I want to confirm with you if UPD and etc. profile relate function has been enabled?  

You may try to manually delete local cached profiles on remote system and check the result. Please back up registry entry before any change, it would be helpful to undo the change via restoring from backup if necessary:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Check the sub-entry and find appropriate entry which is corresponding to problematic user account (ProfileImagePath displays user account name). 

Re-start system to make the change take effect and log on the user account again to check the result.

2>
    Create new user account and migrate data from problematic one to new one. Detail steps you may reference - How to Migrate Windows User Profiles to a New Account, a New Pc, or New Domain:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37573.how-to-migrate-windows-user-profiles-to-a-new-account-a-new-pc-or-new-domain.aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:51 AM
  • Hi Eve 

Many thanks for your response and apologies for delay in replying, been a busy week. 

Thanks for the link above, I will be trying that next week and will update this thread with whether or not it fixed the issue. 

Jon

Friday, August 2, 2019 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang     

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 8:04 AM