none
Hyper-V and Guest V2V/V2P RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening,

I'd like to ask a couple of question regarding Hyper-V:

is(and will) it possible to migrate a VM (with Integration Services installed) from Hyper-V to Virtual Server 2005 R2 ?

Is(and will) it possible to migrate a VM (with Integration Services installed) from Hyper-V to a Physical Server (using a V2P product like Acronis Echo Server, for example)?

Thank you for your kind collaboration.

Best Regards,

Simone

Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:58 PM

Answers

• Hyper-V Integration components don't modify any kernel memory unlike the Virtual Server Additions.  Doing a V to P is pretty much like taking the hard drive out of one machine and putting it into another machine with a different motherboard, video card, network card etc…

Friday, January 25, 2008 6:10 PM

All replies

• It will not be possible to migrate a VM with IC's from Hyper-V to Virtual Server.  If you want to go from Virtual Server to Hyper-V that should work after you uninstall the VM additions.

Doing a V to P (Virtual to Physical) is not something we have supported to my knowedge in the past and I don't expect that to change.  I know that other companies do have solutions around that and I would expect them to continue developing those solutions.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:01 PM
  • I've just tried to use a V2V/V2P solution and I migrated a Hyper-V Guest (Win2K3) to Virtual PC.

I thought that Integration Services could limit this kind of operations due to the kernel modifications.

Thank you for your kind collaboration,

Simone

Friday, January 25, 2008 10:05 AM
  • With most V2V/V2P/P2V 3rd party solutions out there they are able to restore to different hardware to what the original operating system was installed on. If you remove either the 'Windows 2008 Hyper-V Integration Components' or the 'Virtual Server 2005 Additions' a similar approach is needed if moving from a Physical Dell Server and removing the 'Dell Open Manage Server Administration' software and other hardware RAID Controller Drivers etc. and have your migrated system as 'clean' as it can be.

Whenever performing V2V/V2P/P2V migrations what software and drivers that were installed on the original hardware (or virtual) platform once moved to a new hardware platform cleaning up the ‘old stuff' is a very good idea to keep the BSOD monsters away.

I would expect that most software that can perform 'Bare Metal Restores' now and into in the future should not have much of an issue integrating with Hyper-V once Hyper-V is RTM.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Friday, January 25, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Hyper-V Integration components don't modify any kernel memory unlike the Virtual Server Additions.  Doing a V to P is pretty much like taking the hard drive out of one machine and putting it into another machine with a different motherboard, video card, network card etc…

Friday, January 25, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Thank you Taylor.

Have a nice week-end and greets from Italy,

Simone

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:39 PM