none
group policy preferences: drive maps not mapping drive RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi

I created a user gpo with a preference mapping a drive. The drive won't map. It doesn't deppend if the user is local admin or not.

"run in logged-on user's security context" is enabled.

Any ideas why the policy doesn't create the mapping?

Thx

Olivier
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Suisse said:

Hi

I created a user gpo with a preference mapping a drive. The drive won't map. It doesn't deppend if the user is local admin or not.

Thx

Olivier

Any message logged in the client's event log? Is the GPO linked to an OU user accounts are target of?

cheers,

Florian
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Group Policy -- blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Hi

Eventlog:

Windows could not record  the Resultant Set of Policy (RSoP) information for the Group Policy extension <Group Policy Start Menu Settings>. Group Policy settings successfully applied to the computer or user; however, management tools may not report accurately.

GPO: the gpo is link to an OU where clients and users are.

The policies in the GPO work.

I've also installed the patch Windows6.0-KB943729-x86.msu.

thx

Olivier
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:05 PM
  •  

Hello,

First of all, which version of Windows operation system has this issue? Windows Vista?

If yes, you may refer to this post that has similar issue:

Group Policy Preference fails to map drive for local admins when UAC is enabled

http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/zh-CN/winserverGP/thread/ccea02b7-341f-4867-913d-4fa934430f9a/

The "Windows could not record  the Resultant Set of Policy (RSoP) information" may indicate the problem of Group Policy RSOP date record. It will not influence the group policy application on the clients.

Monday, June 23, 2008 9:16 AM
  • good morning

yes, the Clients are vista clients.

I'll check your link.

thx
    Monday, July 7, 2008 8:42 AM
  • hi

problem not solved.

UAC is disabled and the user is not local admin.

I have an event ID entry 4098

The user ... preference item in ... group policy did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80090005 bad data.' the error was suppressed.

any ideas?
    • Proposed as answer by 6neko9 Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:05 PM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:11 PM
  • In our case (Windows 2003 SP 2, Active Directory , Citrix Terminal services) we had Two policies for mapping drives wich applyed on same Domain group. One was linked to OU ZZZ in wich users resides (logon script), and second was linked to OU CCC in wich were Terminal servers objects (GPP Map Drives). We did apply loopback processing policy - MERGE on CCC OU.
    In GPP Map drives we create Group policy preference item Drive Maps  wich maps drive V:\ server\sharename in user security context.

Our users could not get drive V: after login, and when we looked in Application Event Log on server we saw Warning with Event ID 4009.

In short,
    We discover that logon policy is applyed after GPP Drive Maps policy ( With RSOP tool), and in Logon policy, in the first line was entry:
    net use * /del /yes

So the GPP Drive Maps policy did apply well, but after that Logon policy  deleted all mapped drives and created new one without drive V: of course.

So first we change Logon policy to delete only specified mapped drives
    e.g. net use g: /del /yes , and after that everything went fine.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Suisse,

We are having the same issue with Windows 7 machines.  Did you get this resolved.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Don't laugh, but we had the same issue and the solution is simple (Since no one has actually posted their preference mapping I'm going to assume it was like our issue.)

Pay attention here-- it was driving everyone nuts!

In Preferences, if you set the mapping location like... say:  \\servername\servershare\ the mapping WILL NOT WORK.  But if you enter the mapping setting like this:  \\servername\servershare the preference mapping will work.

Did you catch that?  Simply leave the last "\" off.  If you leave it on, the preference mapping will work with XP machines, but not Win7.  Take it off, and it will work with both.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:01 PM
  • After trying a number of things listed here (non of which really made a difference), uncheckiung the "Reconnect" option in the prefference resolved the issue.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Don't laugh, but we had the same issue and the solution is simple (Since no one has actually posted their preference mapping I'm going to assume it was like our issue.)

Pay attention here-- it was driving everyone nuts!

In Preferences, if you set the mapping location like... say:  \\servername\servershare\ the mapping WILL NOT WORK.  But if you enter the mapping setting like this:  \\servername\servershare the preference mapping will work.

Did you catch that?  Simply leave the last "\" off.  If you leave it on, the preference mapping will work with XP machines, but not Win7.  Take it off, and it will work with both.

Thank you!
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:37 PM
  • I Turned off User Access Control (UAC) in Windows 7 and everything started working.  I have tried everything on this topic listed in Google and this the only thing that solved the issue. 

Thanks,

Chad

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:00 PM
  • I Turned off User Access Control (UAC) in Windows 7 and everything started working.  I have tried everything on this topic listed in Google and this the only thing that solved the issue. 

Thanks,

Chad

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Am 20.05.2011 15:00, schrieb cmkibler:

I Turned off User Access Control

Then the initial mistake is: Your users are local admins.
    Users will map their drives, with UAC active.

The reason is, you access token changes between logging in and
    creating the session, because with UAC active, your admin SID
    ist removed from the token.
    The initial token is not longer valid, the mapping aswell is not.

That only happens with local admins.

Mark

Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server - Group Policy

Homepage:       www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch
    GPO Tool:       www.reg2xml.com - Registry Export File Converter
    NetworkTrayTool www.gruppenrichtlinien.de/tools/Networktraytool.htm

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Matt fazio had the answer for me, the slash after the shared directory name was causing problems.  a gpupdate after removing it and the drive showed up fine!

thanks!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Haha...No way that would have fixed my problem, but sure enought it did!  Too funny.  Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Thank you Mark,

I was having the issue in SBS Essentials where a drive mapped to the Users folder (\\ServerName\Users\%username%) using a GPO was not showing up on client machines for 2 of my users. This is a test environment using mixed Windows 7 and Windows 8 clients in VMs.

In fact I had disabled UAC and had the mapped drive show up. Re-enabling UAC on subsequent logins, the drive mapping is persistent (reconnect was checked). I never would have thought about the fact that the 2 users I was having the issue with could have been local admins. I had logged into the VM with both usernames prior to joining the domain.One as an admin and one to test data migration upon joining the domain.Changing the local account membership on a subsequent test verified your suggestion. You were 100% spot on. I appreciate the explanation as well.

Thanks for the learnin :)

Tater

Builder

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:58 AM
  • Wow, that fixed my issue! Thanks!

Thursday, August 9, 2012 10:07 PM
  • Dear Suisse

If you install Windows Xp Sp3 on your clients machine and you server is 2008 R2 Version and later,you have to install a patch on you client's machine to obtain Preferences from your server

please search in google to get this Patch(Windows-KB943729-x86-ENU)

cheers

Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:58 AM
  •  Hi

Thx

Olivier
    Another solution is to go to the folder that contains the GPO. You should see the GPO "link order" on you're right. If you se the GPO, move it to the top as No.1, if you can not see it, chose from menu "link to existing GPO" or something like that.

Regards, hq

Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:02 PM
  • I had a similar issue and it turned out that the drives were used by some attached devices that the end user had connected to her workstation that prevented the drives from mapping, or even showing up in Windows Explorer. Going into Disk Management, identifying the devices and changing the Drive Letters to ones that were not being used by the network fixed her problem.

Leisa

Friday, October 3, 2014 8:18 PM
  • Worked for me there were 2 mapped drives with the "\" at the end.. silly....
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:19 PM