none
Where are the .cab files???

Question

• I'm looking for the .cab files:

Microsoft-Windows-VdsInterop Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.9200.16384.cab, Microsoft-Windows-VdsInterop-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.2.9200.16384.cab, Microsoft-Windows-FileServer-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.9200.16384.cab, Microsoft-Windows-FileServer-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.2.9200.16384.cab, Microsoft-Windows-Dedup-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.9200.16384.cab, Microsoft-Windows-Dedup-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.2.9200.16384.cab

I can download them online from some people's site, but I'd rather find/extract them from my own media.

Can someone tell me where to find these files? Are they on the Server 2012 DVD?

Ed

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Cabinet (or CAB) is an archive file format for Microsoft Windows that supports lossless data compression and embedded digital certificates used for maintaining archive integrity. Cabinet files have .cab file name extensions and are recognized by their first 4 bytes MSCF. Cabinet files were known originally as Diamond files.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_(file_format)

Regards,

Yan Li

Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 15, 2013 3:35 AM

All replies

• Hello Ed,

There is no such thing as .cab files in the Windows 2012 installation media. You need to have enough knowledge to create these .cab files from the installation media source files using the makecab.exe utility.

You need to mount the install.wim using dism.exe /mount-wim command and then create some ddf files to direct makecab.exe which files and dirs to include in the cab making process. You need to know exactly which files to include and how to include them.

I suspect that you want to extract the deduplication feature from a windows 2012 installation media and add it to a windows 8 OS? If someone already has done all the job for you, extracting the cab files, it is easier to download them than re-inventing the weel. 

-------------------------

Lefteris Karafilis
    MCSE, MCTS, SEC+
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lkarafilis 
    Mail: lefteris@karafilis.net 
    Bloghttp://itbully.com/ideas/ekarafilis

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:40 AM
  • Thank you Lefteris.

You are correct - I want the .cab files to install the dedup features in Windows 8 and you're also right in that it would be much easier to download them rather than reinventing the wheel.

BUT...would YOU trust installing binary files from an untrusted source on YOUR machine on YOUR network???

:-)

Ed 

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:32 PM
  • I can absolutely understand your dilemma! I would probably re-invent the wheel, just for fun... you know, the quest for glory.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Well, that's true as well.

I really WOULD like to take a stab at creating them myself, but I don't know how.

:-(

Ed

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:57 PM
  • Of course, copying files like that is against the product use rights that you agreed to when you installed the operating system.  But hey, nobody but all the people reading this forum will know. <grin>

.:|:.:|:. tim

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:34 PM
  • Hi,

Cabinet (or CAB) is an archive file format for Microsoft Windows that supports lossless data compression and embedded digital certificates used for maintaining archive integrity. Cabinet files have .cab file name extensions and are recognized by their first 4 bytes MSCF. Cabinet files were known originally as Diamond files.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_(file_format)

Regards,

Yan Li

Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 15, 2013 3:35 AM
  • try searching them under C:\Windows\WinSXS folder. When the OS is installed first , most of the cab files are copied over to winsxs folder for later use. So basically when you try to add new feature , files are picked up from winsxs folder. 
    Monday, July 15, 2013 10:18 AM