none
Unable to create File Server Failover Cluster on Nano Server node RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Failover Cluster running on Server 2016. One node is a full Server 2016 install with Desktop Experience. The other node is running Nano Server. The roles are Hyper-V and File Server. When I try to migrate the File Server role to the Nano Server node, I get the error "The owner node cannot run this resource."

I created a new lab with a new Failover Cluster, and a single node running Nano Server. When I try to create a File Server role, I get the error "An error occured while attempting to start the clustered role 'LAB-SMB'. The cluster resource cannot be brought online. The owner node cannot run this resource." 

It is my understanding that Nano Server should be able to host File Server (SMB) roles.

EDIT: Got word back from Microsoft Support. Apparently only the Scale-Out File Server role is supported, and not the File Server role on Nano Server. Hopefully they add it in the future.

Friday, June 2, 2017 8:54 PM

All replies

• EDIT: Got word back from Microsoft Support. Apparently only the Scale-Out File Server role is supported, and not the File Server role on Nano Server. Hopefully they add it in the future.

Hi JordanFoster,

Thanks for sharing the information with us.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 9, 2017 8:35 AM