none
having trouble trying to connect a vm server and a vm win10 for learning purposes. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

novice here,so bare with me as I'm not fluent yet in all the technical therms and aspects.

i recently started learning for a mcsa certificate,

in class we use vmware; i make a windows10vm and a server2012 VM,

i assign the server an ip from the range i see in the subnet address(VMware-virtual network editor)

i set up ADDS,DHCP,DNS on the server and in "edit/virtual network editor"",i put both the sever and the win10  on a VMnet-nat and use local DHCP to distribute ip addresses.(i think it was nat,maybe local host?)

i try to do the same with hyper-v but having issues,i guess i didn't fully understand how those switches work.

i added an internal switch and put both the machines on it, but when using ipconfig, i see i get different range of ips for both the server and win10 and i wasn't able to have the server distribute an ip to the win10vm nor connect to its local domain with it.

i get these kind of ips:169.254...  saw it was apipa - not sure what that means.

I'd appreciate the help.
    Monday, April 22, 2019 7:42 PM

Answers

• Since an internal vSwitch is being used there's no worries of a conflict so you can use about anything. You could assign;

192.168.10.10 for server and 192.168.10.11 for client.

If using windows 10, the default switch works similar to ICS. If you don't want that then create your own vSwitch. Also you've asked in windows server forums, if you're using windows 10 (desktop) Hyper-V you'll find more experts over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprovirt

To the last question you can setup another virtual machine with DHCP server role, but if you're not already familiar with this I'd skip it for now. (too many things to go wrong)

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Edited by Dave PatrickMVP Monday, April 22, 2019 10:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by novpup Wednesday, April 24, 2019 9:47 AM
    Monday, April 22, 2019 9:33 PM

All replies

• i get these kind of ips:169.254...  saw it was apipa - not sure what that means.

Apipa addresses are assigned when no operational DHCP server is found on network. As a suggestion to get things working I'd assign addresses static for now. For an active directory domain make sure the domain controller and client both have the static ip address of DC listed for DNS and no others such as router or public DNS.

As to the different vSwitch types info here.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/jhoward/2008/06/17/hyper-v-what-are-the-uses-for-different-types-of-virtual-networks/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 22, 2019 7:49 PM
  • what static ip address should i use,how can i know what ip to put there?

i just browsed some YouTube clips and saw people using 198.168.1.

i also saw some persons assigning an ip in the virtual adapter on the host machine instead of in the server VM Ethernet properties. ??

and how can i get a subnet address like in Vmware instead of randomly assigning one?

Thanks.

• Edited by novpup Monday, April 22, 2019 9:31 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2019 9:30 PM
  • Since an internal vSwitch is being used there's no worries of a conflict so you can use about anything. You could assign;

192.168.10.10 for server and 192.168.10.11 for client.

If using windows 10, the default switch works similar to ICS. If you don't want that then create your own vSwitch. Also you've asked in windows server forums, if you're using windows 10 (desktop) Hyper-V you'll find more experts over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprovirt

To the last question you can setup another virtual machine with DHCP server role, but if you're not already familiar with this I'd skip it for now. (too many things to go wrong)

• Edited by Dave PatrickMVP Monday, April 22, 2019 10:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by novpup Wednesday, April 24, 2019 9:47 AM
    Monday, April 22, 2019 9:33 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

From your post, did you use VMWare workstation for VMs deployment, one VM was server 2012, another was win10 client?

Which mode of Virtual Switch did you create in the VMware as below, Bridged, NAT or Host only?

Reference link:

https://www.golinuxhub.com/2013/07/creating-internal-network-using-vmware.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If you already created a internal network in the VMnet information console, you can pick  up a static IP address for 2012 from your created subnet. If you use this server as a DHCP, you should uncheck the option "Use local DHCP service to distribute IP address to VMs"on the console as the following figure, instead you can use the VM to distribute a IP for win10 VM.

Furthermore, here's an article discussed Virtual Networking in VMWare in detail, hope it can help you. 

http://techgenix.com/understanding-virtual-networking-vmware-workstation-9/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 8:42 AM
  • Thanks for your answer and i did all the above and it was quit easy,the thing is i don't have VMware at home,just hyper-v and I'm trying to do the same with it.

I'll try what Dave suggested and if unsuccessful I'll go to the other forum he mentioned.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 2:22 PM
  • The big difference between the two is VMware workstation is a type 2 hypervisor (runs on top of windows) Windows Hyper-V is a type one bare metal hypervisor (runs directly on hardware) so the network methods differ.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 2:30 PM
  • it worked,

i assigned the ip 192.168.10... to the server with the internal/private switch selected,the win10 machine got an ip from the scope the server distribute and was able to connect to the local domain.

so everything seem to be sorted.

Thanks again

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 10:54 PM
  • Glad to hear it helps, you're welcome.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 10:57 PM
  • Hi,

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

If you find any reply that helps, could you help mark it as an answer so that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly please? Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Thanks for your support and understanding.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 9:20 AM