none
Event ID 12032 followed by 12030 followed by 10000 RRS feed

• Question

• Have an interesting event log issue that has developed in the past two weeks.  Running WSUS 3.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2008 r2 Standard.

In a 24 hour period I get an error log of Event ID 12032: The Server Synchronization Web Service is not working.

In ten minutes Event ID 12030 is logged:  The Server Synchronization Web Service is working correctly.

In three hours Event ID 10000 is logged: WSUS is working correctly.

The times are nearly the same, usually just deviate about five minutes, which seems to be just automatic but having not found any information to confirm 12032 should be ignored.  It's an error that sticks out every day.

WSUS is running fine, updates are downloading fine and once approved are pushed out to workstations.  Just tossing this out here if this in an error that is normal or hinting at a problem that needs looked at or something I'm missing.  Done checks on WSUS database and service health and is checking out fine, this error is logged after working hours so never happens during normal working time.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:39 PM

Answers

• Since I posted this question, the event log warnings occurred exactly one more time on Friday the next day.  After that, they haven't occurred again.  I'm marking this as a software bug that was patched as Saturdays is when I apply patches to the servers and reboot the servers if necessary.
    • Marked as answer by Jeremy314r2 Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:26 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:26 PM

All replies

• Sounds like something is 'reconfiguring' and then 'unconfiguring' the WSUS server, resulting in that 3 hour period ever day when things are not right. Given the time frames, I would focus on a script configured to run daily by Task Scheduler that might be changing something in the IIS configuration.

OR.... maybe a daily backup routine that's unnecessarily stopping the W3SVC service?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, April 26, 2013 1:53 AM
  • Since I posted this question, the event log warnings occurred exactly one more time on Friday the next day.  After that, they haven't occurred again.  I'm marking this as a software bug that was patched as Saturdays is when I apply patches to the servers and reboot the servers if necessary.
    • Marked as answer by Jeremy314r2 Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:26 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:26 PM